User Controls

Formation of enzyme-substrate complexes

There is no science forum so ill poast this here.

So I am reading this book on biochemistry. Its a little bit dated (published 1965) and in the section discussing properties of enzymes it states that we don't know much about how enzyme substrate complexes and compounds are formed at active centres. I am wondering if we made substantial progress in figuring that out since the 60's and if there is anything I should add to my notes regarding the process.

If this is unclear ill definitely provide more info.
    Irc convo pertinent to the subject: [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]danks fam[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]you wanna know how compounds are formed within enzymes?[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]or how they form compounds[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]how they form compounds[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]like the book gives a rough view of the process[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]but its pretty imprecise imo[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]well as you know you have over 9000 enzymes[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]and they all form different compounds[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]by biosynthesis, hydroxylase, decarboxylase[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]etc[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]but how they know how to do what they need to do for decarboxylase in example is beyond me[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]Aight. No worries fam. Would you say the -lase type is a major determining factor of the compound formed by a particular enzyme-substrate?[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<thelittlestnigger>: [/SIZE][/FONT]I mean that seems obvious but i wanna make sure im on the right track[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][FONT=Arial][SIZE=11px]<Sophie>: [/SIZE][/FONT]if i had to hazard a an educated guess i would say yes[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
Jump to Top