User Controls

Freedom or Security

Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Is freedom or security more important?

Some would say we cannot give up our freedoms to gain more security without losing both.

Others would argue that security grants us freedom. That you cannot have one without the other.

What do you think is more important? Freedom, or security?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Security, assuming what we're talking about is like live verses death. Being dead and free means nothing, while a person can be perfectly happy with limited freedoms (the freest society you can imagine has limited freedoms). Platitudes from founding fathers don't change that fact.

But "security vs. freedom" is usually a euphemism for specific US policy discussions like the practices of the TSA or NSA neither of which I can say I support, not because they deny us freedoms (particularly the TSA, while they're a pain in the ass it's hard to argue being subjected to security screening when you enter an airport of your own volition is a profound curtailment of freedoms) but because much of the associated policy is simply ineffective or comes at too great a cost relative to the evils they're supposed to be protecting us from. In short, terrorists targeting the US general population are a sufficiently small threat that the countermeasures we see employed today cost more than we stand to lose, but it's easy to imagine a world where that's not the case, where failing to restrict some freedoms would lead to far worse outcomes, even if you consider freedoms intrinsically valuable, than doing so.
    AngryOnion Big Wig [the nightly self-effacing broadsheet]
    Major lazer mon you be missin the hole point!
    I don't need anyone granting me anyting.
    Yoour pole is null.
    glod Yung Blood
    Security, assuming what we're talking about is like live verses death. Being dead and free means nothing, while a person can be perfectly happy with limited freedoms (the freest society you can imagine has limited freedoms). Platitudes from founding fathers don't change that fact.

But "security vs. freedom" is usually a euphemism for specific US policy discussions like the practices of the TSA or NSA neither of which I can say I support, not because they deny us freedoms (particularly the TSA, while they're a pain in the ass it's hard to argue being subjected to security screening when you enter an airport of your own volition is a profound curtailment of freedoms) but because much of the associated policy is simply ineffective or comes at too great a cost relative to the evils they're supposed to be protecting us from. In short, terrorists targeting the US general population are a sufficiently small threat that the countermeasures we see employed today cost more than we stand to lose, but it's easy to imagine a world where that's not the case, where failing to restrict some freedoms would lead to far worse outcomes, even if you consider freedoms intrinsically valuable, than doing so.

Didn't read.

But the thanks button worked!

Blast off with Major Lazer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZK4al4dvA
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Blast off with Major Lazer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZK4al4dvA

I always pictured you as a George Washington looking motherfucker so it's funny when you post EDM links.
    Kick Ass .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYN_hyR9YI
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I have no idea what's going on here.
    Get Free

Is true freedom or true security actually obtainable?
    Freedom. With the freedom to bear arms one has all the security they need.

[FONT=Lucida Grande]
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The TSA has no warrants and it is not reasonable to search every traveler in hopes of finding one law breaker.

Give me enough freedom and I don't need your security I will provide my own thank you very much. [/FONT]

-SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Those who would surrender freedom for security deserve neither.

Leave it to a Canadian to quote a US founding Father.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support

Quote or not, i agree with this.
    Some would say true freedom and security are just ideas, and while we try to convince ourselves otherwise, you can never actually be truly free or truly safe.
    I'm as free as I want to be, your just scared to be free like me.
    Now for security I have a shotgun and a home security system.
    After my house got robbed a few years ago I went for the full monty,alarm,video,all networked into my phone.My job is just 1.3 miles down the street.I can be home in no time.
    arthur treacher African Astronaut
    a shotgun is a shitty home defense weapon

just get a 9 and a couple extra magazines
    a shotgun is a shitty home defense weapon

just get a 9 and a couple extra magazines
    You should totally go back to crazy Mike.
    arthur treacher African Astronaut
    You should totally go back to crazy Mike.

a shotgun is not easy to load in the dark and in the confusion of a high-stress situation

and they are usually unwieldy, and don't hold a lot of ammo

and, unless you are using like 00 buck or a slug, its not going to be very effective

and if you are using 00, there is potential for overpenetration, multiple times

whereas, with a pistol, you have a compact, easy to load and easy to handle weapon, that would be reasonably effective and holds at least twice as many rounds as a shotgun in case of multiple nigger home invaders
Jump to Top