User Controls

Being a vegetarian

Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    can really be fucking exhausting. I'm surrounding by idiots, as are most people who make a decision that isn't based in ignorance. This post is more to complain than to persuade you to my thinking, I know many of the people reading this might well be enjoying third-rate animal products while they read this - no offense meant, just that Zoklet and its inheritors are mostly comprised of the disadvantaged, amoral and often quite depraved outcasts who I find most fascinating of all people. We vegetarians have our critics, firstly and most obviously. People think they can reclaim us in the name of omnivores everywhere as though it'd be some kind of victory. I had an ex who believed that, if we were to travel around the world to exotic places, that I'd join her in eating meat-based local dishes to more fully experience culture. She was wrong, it was a fantasy she entertained to disbelieve something she perceived about me as incompatible. College vegans are fucking idiots. Every university is a breeding ground for thousands of followers and a few gifted manipulators to engage in experimental leftist radicalism and this is something I see as important to our growth as a species, except that nobody thinks abstaining from meat is cool. Your friends think it's dumb, your date wishes she could share a forkful of the shrimp linguine with you but instead gets it boxed, your grandma lectures you at every holiday instead of kissing you on the cheek. It's not the sort of thing you brag about if you've successfully integrated it into your lifestyle. Every aspect of life is impacted by this ethical decision, it's like adopting a religion and acting on it mindfully with every meal, every clothing purchase, every vote for a fake local Democrat who disingenuously includes animal advocacy in their platform to garner support from an underrepresented niche ecologically focused demographic they want to win over your particular county when you know they don't mean it but they're the only one who even mentions this as a concern. Motherfucker shut the hell up, I do drugs and my cock is great
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Being a vegetarian is cool and all i just like meat more than i like living and breathing cattle.
    arthur treacher African Astronaut
    jesus christ leftists are insufferable.

'My way is right because I am educated and enlightened, and everyone else's position is based on ignorance'

you shut the hell up, no one cares about your fucking genitalia

'My way is right because I am educated and enlightened, and everyone else's position is based on ignorance'

Yeah lefties are gay and zanick is a notorious lefty.
    Yeah lefties are gay and zanick is a notorious lefty.

I know zanick. One of my least favorite posters, though I always liked the 'burger king' and he had that as his avatar for a while.
    Lanny Bird of Courage

That wasn't what he said at all, see:

This post is more to complain than to persuade you to my thinking

And honestly, on this issue specifically, there is pretty rampant ignorance and intellectual laziness and it's pretty lopsided in terms of who does it. I'm not saying there's never been a bad argument for vegetarianism but a shocking majority of people who advocate for eating meat who wade into the subject have really a handful of stock really terrible arguments. I bet 90% of pro-meat arguments are one of "but plants are alive too!", "derp derp, I like bakon tho", or some Randian bullshit about how you have no moral duty to anyone else because train fanfic and boogeyman communism all of which are so trivially easy to knock down as to be almost embarrassing to respond to.
    Lanny, he clearly said that 'most people make decisions based on ignorance', as if he can read minds and knows that everyone is stupid, except for him and his liberal ilk who know best and are morally correct. I don't like that kind of arrogance, and I cheer when people like that are inevitably knocked off their high horse. It will happen, sooner or later.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    There's a distinction here though. There's "most people are ignorant and I'm not therefore vegetarianism is morally necessary" and then there's "most people are ignorant and I'm not. P.S. vegetarianism is morally necessary". The former is an obvious non-sequitur (malice does this all the time ala "leftists are so emotional/idealistic/naive, ergo their policy is bad") while the latter is certainly arrogant (although one would think it's more for effect given the context) but it isn't a structural error.

Besides, if the argument for vegetarianism goes through (which clearly some of us believes it does), wouldn't that mean he and his liberal ilk really do know best and are morally correct? Is it arrogant to say something self congratulatory if it's true?
    You leftists and your superiority complex. You are all just assholes, who think you know best and sit there pontificating from on high, with intellectual masturbation arguments that assume that science is settled and there is an absolute answer to the subject that you are currently educating the rest of us benighted rubes about. It would be funny if, say, next year or so, they find some mechanism in plants that shows that they have a form of sensing unpleasant stimuli, and that they 'suffer' when being prepared and masticated just as much as an animal would. I mean, if you guys are so right about everything, then why would anyone ever disagree? I mean, it's so obvious that you are right and everyone else is just ignorant, right?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    You leftists and your superiority complex. You are all just assholes, who think you know best and sit there pontificating from on high, with intellectual masturbation arguments that assume that science is settled and there is an absolute answer to the subject that you are currently educating the rest of us benighted rubes about.

Lol, do you not see the irony here? What on earth has convinced you that I "assume that science is settled and there is an absolute answer to the subject that you are currently educating the rest of us benighted rubes about"? Because that's not the case at all. Meanwhile all you can focus on is perceived personality defects in people who don't agree with you instead of engaging with the actual argument. Dismissing the huge range of positions that fall under "leftism" because you think (wrongly) that their advocates aren't nice or humble enough is strikingly arrogant.

It would be funny if, say, next year or so, they find some mechanism in plants that shows that they have a form of sensing unpleasant stimuli, and that they 'suffer' when being prepared and masticated just as much as an animal would.

Yes, that is something that could happen and if it did (well the part about suffering to an equal degree as animals, it's already obvious that many plants respond to negative stimulus) I would change my position on the matter. But all the evidence we have at the moment suggests the opposite. I mean what exactly do you see as the alternative here? Acting in whatever way is most self serving as long as there is even the smallest room for doubt left? Under that maxim there's literally nothing we could condemn as wrong because hey, problem of other minds, it's conceivable that I'm the only being in the world that can suffer so nothing I can do to anyone else could possibly be wrong. That's obviously absurd. The sane thing to do in any situation is to operate on what we have the best evidence in favor of, and in this case we have strong evidence in favor of plants not suffering on any comparable level to animals.

I mean, if you guys are so right about everything, then why would anyone ever disagree? I mean, it's so obvious that you are right and everyone else is just ignorant, right?

What is that even supposed to mean?
    This thread is 100% social.

My post was more directed to the OP than at you, lanny. The difference between me and a leftist is, I don't give a fuck if someone is a vegetarian or not, I may think it is retarded, but that is about the extent of it. But to a leftist, I am 'ignorant' for eating meat, or I am 'evil' or 'bloodthirsty' or whatever insult du jour that the average SJW will come up with to describe meat-eaters.
    Ghost Black Hole
    2elook a cat

Jump to Top