User Controls

Mental illness screening for firearms sales

arthur treacher African Astronaut
    Won't this end up being counterproductive in the long run? Lots of people will resist coming forward voluntarily to get treatment for mental problems, if they feel that they are just going to have their 2nd amendment rights 'taken away'.

I was thinking about this because I have always had anger issues, and when I was younger I would express my anger physically. Now that I am older and have kids and such, I tend to bottle it all up inside. I am pretty much full of rage, all the time, and it is becoming detrimental to my health, but I was thinking earlier how I can't and won't 'talk to someone about it'. for fear of potentially being screened out of buying firearms.

I feel that 'universal background checks' and 'keeping guns away from crazies' is going to work just as well as the scheduling system did for 'drugs'
    Like, if I just stop showing up one day, it's because I had a fucking anger stroke.
    Like, if I just stop showing up one day, it's because I had a fucking anger stroke.
    I hope it happens soon.
    I hope it happens soon.

It might, if you keep up your corny bullshit
    Honestly if my mental history bars me from owning a gun I'm just gonna hit up the black market (read nigger) and illegally purchase automatic weapons.

What part of [size=72]shall not be infringed[/size] do they not understand?
    not to mention home gunsmithing, which is quite doable if one has access to machine shop tools
    if anyone was going to have a rage-stroke, it would be RisiR. Where is that guy?
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    if anyone was going to have a rage-stroke, it would be RisiR. Where is that guy?

Neuschabenland, Germany.

https://neuschwabenland.org/km/

You probably don't want to click that.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Social stigma and the government's concerted effort to withdraw support of psychological welfare programs for the last several decades is a far greater detriment to people in need seeking treatment for mental illness, yet I don't see the right crying about that (in fact it's classical champions of conservatism ala Regan who are responsible for our country absolutely ass raping the mentally ill at every turn). If you're a gun-nut and have some a priori belief that owning lethal firearms with no social utility outside of murdering people is a fundamental right then ok, you can believe that if you want, but trying to pretend like it's some deep seated concern for the mentally ill is just disingenuous and totally transparent
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    (in fact it's classical champions of conservatism ala Regan who are responsible for our country absolutely ass raping the mentally ill at every turn)

That's a myth. First of all the mental health institutions had serious problems and are nothing to idolize. The drive to close them was also driven in large part by advocacy for the rights of patients/the mentally ill and legal rulings in their favor, and for good reason. They were also supposed to be replaced with community health centers, which never happened, and isn't really the fault of Reagan.

San Francisco spends more on each homeless individual than any other region in the US by a wide margin and it has the worst problems with homelessness. How do you explain that? It's never enough for you people, excuse after excuse.
    If guns have no social utility then why are they used to free the oppressed?

whether its important to you or not, Lanny, it's a concern for some....

and 'social utility?' what about the deterrent effect of concealed carry on crime rates?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    San Francisco spends more on each homeless individual than any other region in the US by a wide margin and it has the worst problems with homelessness. How do you explain that? It's never enough for you people, excuse after excuse.

How does that even need explaining? A city with policy that's non-hostile to the homeless has more homeless. Other cities ship their homeless here, people travel. SF has homeless problems because it's one of the few cities in the US that isn't trying to make it someone else's problem.

If guns have no social utility then why are they used to free the oppressed?

Where are guns being used to free the oppressed in the USA?

whether its important to you or not, Lanny, it's a concern for some….

and 'social utility?' what about the deterrent effect of concealed carry on crime rates?

Even if you could establish that concealed carry laws reduce the crime rate (and I have yet to see compelling evidence here), not all crime is equal. How many muggings and instances of petty theft need to be stopped to justify one lethal incident of gun violence?
    Even if you could establish that concealed carry laws reduce the crime rate (and I have yet to see compelling evidence here), not all crime is equal. How many muggings and instances of petty theft need to be stopped to justify one lethal incident of gun violence?

You 'have yet to see compelling evidence' because of confirmation bias. the evidence is there, but you just don't want to see it. Look at the crime rate where I live, for instance, where every third man and woman carries a sidearm, and the crime rate where you live, where I imagine it is a dystopian hellhole. People don't mug or rob stores here, they would be shot with a quickness. I mean, sure there is a lot of gang violence in some of the more niggerish parts of Indianapolis, but that is just niggers killing other niggers, using illegal weapons, confined to very small areas. They know not to stray out of their 'hoods' and try their shenanigans around here.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Maybe it won't be perfect for every forseeable set of circumstances, but can you think of a better way to implement some basic verification that we aren't putting guns in the wrong hands?
    Maybe it won't be perfect for every forseeable set of circumstances, but can you think of a better way to implement some basic verification that we aren't putting guns in the wrong hands?

No, because anyone can steal a gun, or make a crude one in their garage, you will never 'keep them out of the wrong hands' completely.

It is sort of like cars, or heavy machinery. The deaths and maiming that occur during 'normal use' is considered 'collateral damage' that is weighed against the utility of the technology, and found acceptible.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    No, because anyone can steal a gun, or make a crude one in their garage, you will never 'keep them out of the wrong hands' completely. It is sort of like cars, or heavy machinery. The deaths and maiming that occur during 'normal use' is considered 'collateral damage' that is weighed against the utility of the technology, and found acceptible.
    Your reasoning is sound but fails to negate my question. I don't think it's productive to say, "Putting a firearm into the wrong hands is 100% preventable" nor is it useful to think that because it isn't, we shouldn't try. The goal is to reduce incidence of these problems.
    If they get away with mental health screening for the right to keep and bear arms it won't be long before anyone who disagrees with them openly will ne labled with a mental health problem.
    Your reasoning is sound but fails to negate my question. I don't think it's productive to say, "Putting a firearm into the wrong hands is 100% preventable" nor is it useful to think that because it isn't, we shouldn't try. The goal is to reduce incidence of these problems.

Negating or infringing the rights of free citizens because a few people misuse firearms, is like banning drugs because 2% of the population has a propensity for addiction.
    If they get away with mental health screening for the right to keep and bear arms it won't be long before anyone who disagrees with them openly will ne labled with a mental health problem.

they emptied out the asylums and encouraged the severely mentally ill to be 'part of the community'

now, homelessness and mental illness are commonplace in our society

and they want us normal, law abiding gun owners to submit to onerous and possibly discriminatory 'gun control' measures because 'a crazy might get ahold of one'

This is all probably by design
Jump to Top