User Controls

Is it illegal to take gift cards to the restroom at a retail store?

SBTlauien African Astronaut
    I'm talking about stores like big name retail stores that have they type of gift cards that aren't wrapped up. A person could grab a handful, go to the restroom, scan each card with a mag. reader, carefully cut back the little scratch-off, write down the digits under it, rub it back on, do this for all of the cards, and then place them back on the shelve. The person could then check the cards online about a week later to see if the cards have any funds loaded onto them. And then of course, spend.

I wouldn't doubt it if there is fraud protection via flagging unactivated cards that are being checked for balance. My friend has gift card cloned the last couple of holiday seasons and every single card he checks, that hasn't been activated, never is activated at all. So maybe the person could check back to see if the cards have been bought. Possibly mark them in some way(UV-ink maybe) or just check whatever last digits are visible as long as it isn't the same on other cards.

It a person did this at a lot of stores, they could make quite a bit.
    EasyDoesIt Tuskegee Airman
    People would probably notice. It's not different from doing it with any other item that size.
    These cards are so small though. A person could just slide them up their sleeve and then go to the bathroom to do business. I don't think any crime could be proven by loss prevention if the product hasn't been removed from the store. They legally can't(without an easy lawsuit) watch you in the restroom.
    Here in the UK ours get activated at the till.

It may not be illegal to take them there, but would need some explaining if you got busted.
    Here in the UK ours get activated at the till.

The goal would be to make a copy of the card and place it back on the shelve so that someone else would activate the card and place a balance on the card. Then the criminal would check the balance, noticed that the card is activated, and spend the card before the victim did.
    Gift card cloning isn't new, but I rarely hear anything about it. My friend has made $2k-$3k+ each holiday season for the last couple of years and for a small amount of work.

http://legacy.wfaa.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/15/13832076/

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/index.ssf/2010/08/beaverton_man_steals_thousands_from_stores_by_cloning_gift_cards.html
    Yeah this is an american thing, cloning over here is a total no go
    Semiazas Tuskegee Airman
    The rule is, nothing, until purchased, goes past point of sale ie registers. That said, it'll be very easy conceal them. I wouldn't worry about the bathroom. Go back home where you properly get all the codes in pins without being paranoid. There is way, I'm sure you can find it somewhere, where you reapply the goo or somehow conceal that anything was tampered.

As always, spread your targets, don't get greedy, hide your tracks, trust your gut and be sure to check the balance often. Drop boxes and tor or hotel computers are your best bet. Again, keep it smal.
Jump to Top