User Controls

720x480 appreciation thread

Japan-Is-Eternal Naturally Camouflaged
    Is 1920x1080 really necessary for movies and anime?
    I'm converting all of the anime I have downloaded, which totals about 12 or so terabytes.
    I love how I'll have a folder of a series that is around 11gb and after conversion it magically shrinks down to 1 or 2gb.
    The clarity of HD is nice, but really 720x480 is adequate.

What resolution do you niggers prefer?
    username: African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Japan-Is-Eternal I'm converting all of the anime I have downloaded, which totals about 12 or so terabytes.

cool
    Originally posted by username: cool

I have a 24tb NAS that can be used as a torrent server so I leave it running 24/7 torrenting stuff.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I guess it’d be cool to drink and watch anime all day.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Japan-Is-Eternal I have a 24tb NAS that can be used as a torrent server so I leave it running 24/7 torrenting stuff.

That's awesome. If I ever have a decent internet connection I would like to do something similar.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I guess with most anime you're seeing contrasting colours and thick lines so it's not hard to make out what's going on

it depends on what you want to watch it on really. the bigger the screen the more you'll notice artefacts
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by aldra I guess with most anime you're seeing contrasting colours and thick lines so it's not hard to make out what's going on

it depends on what you want to watch it on really. the bigger the screen the more you'll notice artefacts

I thought anime would be easy to compress for just this reason, but some people use retarded quality on their encoders just cos
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Someone tell me nicely why I should like anime. I've watched like 4 minutes of it total in my life and I think its dumb, but maybe that's why because I havent given it a fair chance. Is it an acquired taste like something I need to watch a few episodes of something before I realize it's good or is it just something you either like or you dont with no middle ground ?
    it's just a medium, most people don't feel strongly enough about the art style to love or hate anime in general.

personally I find much of the exaggerated style goofy and annoying but there are things that can be done in anime that don't work in live action movies.

I dunno, I only like maybe 5 of them off the top of my head.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by aldra it's just a medium, most people don't feel strongly enough about the art style to love or hate anime in general.

personally I find much of the exaggerated style goofy and annoying but there are things that can be done in anime that don't work in live action movies.

I dunno, I only like maybe 5 of them off the top of my head.

5 episodes of something or 5 anime things in general?

What is the appeal? Why is it better or worse than just Saturday morning cartoons like Garfield ?
    Originally posted by mmQ 5 episodes of something or 5 anime things in general?

What is the appeal? Why is it better or worse than just Saturday morning cartoons like Garfield ?

Watch Serial Experiments Lain (though you're a dumb normie so you might not be able to fully appreciate this series), Paranoia Agent, Haibane Renmei, Akira, Ghost in The Shell, Initial -D and Ergo Proxy.
    If all of those shows are above your head start off with something more digestible like Attack on Titan.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    I prefer 800x600.
    Originally posted by mmQ 5 episodes of something or 5 anime things in general?

like 5 different animes I guess. I'm a big fan of Ghost in the Shell, which has like 4 movies, 2 TV series and a bunch of other stuff. I've found I like a lot of the older 80s/early 90s stuff lately too. It makes me sad that there are only 3 episodes of CYBER CITY OEDO.

there are different kinds of animes, some are similar to saturday morning cartoons (a lot of the more action oriented ones are based on old japanese cartoons like technoman, kamen rider and stuff), some are more serious, some use the medium to tell hyper-surreal or introverted stories that would be difficult or impossible to actually film in an engaging way.

instead of going through what hikki likes/what are considered 'important', what are some movies or TV shows you enjoyed? we might be able to find something similar
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    when in doubt
    start with Attack on Titan

also Cowboy Bebop is very accessible and digestible for normies

I actually really liked how that progressed and the world opened up

the later focus on tactics was interesting too

***talking about AoT
    about to watch cowboy bebop :]
    Originally posted by username: about to watch cowboy bebop :]

for the first time?
    Originally posted by Japan-Is-Eternal for the first time?

yes. on episode 3
    Originally posted by username: yes. on episode 3

What do you think so far?
Jump to Top