User Controls

I want to write a novel

Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    I want to write a novel. How should I proceed?
    Commit to 5 hours a day. 7am-12pm is my favorite time to write.
    I work a 40+ hour job though, so my available time is somewhat limited. Is it better to comitt an amount of time or a quota of words?

What about organization? Do you outline your stuff perfectly, or just roughly, or not at all? I've read about the snowflake method, and I'm thinking a spreadsheet would help keep myself straight.
    So you need both time, and an idea.

What you need is a time machine. Go back to 2005, and steal the idea of a book that hasn't been written yet. Make sure you stay in contact with us, though. Sign up to totse using the name WritingANovel.

Wait a minute

did you already

what's going gsnvsv fsfa fabciric of the universe collapsing
    Say I have an idea. Then what?
    Books are for nerds. Write a script for a movie instead. Or an anime.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    You should write a novel about what you think a soul is and why you think it's a real thing. Or, at least write a response to me in that thread. I'm not trying to argue with you I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
    Say I have an idea. Then what?
    Then you start writing. That's the quintessntial part of writing. Writing.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Outlines are for pussies. Stream of consciousness is the only acceptable literary form in 2016. The secret to success is to handwrite everything because that's what makes it authentic.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    There is a certain amount if words.. 10,000 I think?. Ayn Rand has wrote books about writing books, I learned a lot from those and listening to journalists/columnists.

4 hours a day even is pretty good. I keep putting off writing a bunch of stuff, you really gotta make it routine or else it never gets done.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I've thought the same thing, decided recently that it may be a better idea to start with short stories though
    I started outlining my thoughts and the overall story arc. Not too shabby. This might be an interesting experience, though it'll take a while. I guess it is more about word count, though writing quality is definitely a main factor. I'll aim for between 70,000 and 120,000 words. 90,000 words is a good sweet spot.

I went ahead and wrote my opening couple of pages. I'd say they are pretty... killer.
    Protip: Write everyday, aimfor1kwords min
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by ArmsMerchant Books are for nerds. Write a script for a movie instead. Or an anime.

writing scripts for movies and animes are for nerds, betas and phaggotts adn especialy beta nerd phaggotts.

real men buy glock 19s, go to their favorite mall, and jihards. ji-fucking-hards !!!!!!!
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Read this

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Write a poem or a short story here. If you think you have the capacity to just out of the blue write a fucking novel you better be able to conjure up a story for us in a few minutes. If you can't do that you have no hope. Don't waste your time.
    Originally posted by mmQ Write a poem or a short story here. If you think you have the capacity to just out of the blue write a fucking novel you better be able to conjure up a story for us in a few minutes. If you can't do that you have no hope. Don't waste your time.

I dropped the ball on this. Life got in the way. I'll think about writing something for you guys. Perhaps you should give me a theme and see if I can write to it.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    The theme is 'crickets.' Go.
    Originally posted by mmQ The theme is 'crickets.' Go.

"Hey, do you ever wonder where the scoop goes?"

"Hmm?"

"The scoop man, it comes in here, it takes us, then it goes. Don't you ever wonder where?"

"Not really."

"Well I have. I bet it takes them all to an orchard, or a nice farm at least."

"Why the hell would you think that."

"I don't know, why wouldn't I?"

"The scoop is death, John. You get scooped up and that's it. No more."

"Oh that's bullshit, there has to be a life after the scoop."

"Well, there isn't."

"And just how do you know that?"

"It's obvious, isn't it? I mean, have you ever met anybody who's made it back from the scoop?"

"Can't say I have."

"Then it's settled. There's no post-scoop life."

"That's not very scientific."

"And your orchard is?"

"Look, all I'm saying is that there *could* be an orchard. I never said there was one."

"Then what are you saying?"

"Just that, we need proof. Experiments. Hypothesis. Isn't that how it's usually done?"

"I guess."

"Well why don't we get it settled then?"

"What, and go in the scoop? Fuck off."

"I'm serious. We go in the scoop, see what there is to see, and we try to come back."

"You're mad John."

"It sure beats sitting in this tank."

"I'm quite happy in the tank, thanks."

"No you're not."

"Well I'm already in the tank, so there."

"You know what this means then, right?"

"Err, no?"

"It means that writing is easy and all you lazy dumb-fucks just need to start hitting keys."

"I don't see how that-"

"It's so fucking easy! Just get shit down. That's the first step. Who cares if it's no good?"

"John are you alright?"

"I mean you can always edit it later."

"John?"

"Yes?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes yes, just figuring out how to wrap up this whole thing."
    Srs tho I have a two published novels. I can't stop writing. Even in my head I write. In the shower, driving work, when I'm fucking my wife. I'm never safe. I keep tons of notes everywhere. This is the result of developing a strong habit to just sit down and write and pump out what is sometimes absolute smut. It's fine to do that. I mean even Picasso drew shitty anime when he was a kid. Get in the habit and it'll all start to come along much easier.

If you have any questions about publishing a novel just ask. I'll do my best to answer them.
Jump to Top