User Controls

Smoking tobacco is for absolute morons

G4LM African Astronaut
    Seriously it's such a stupid fucking habit now that vaping is considerably cheaper and widely available. No excuse for not switching other than "its my pacifier!"

They should make tobacco illegal
    Ghost Black Hole
    I enjoy cigars
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by G4LM They should make tobacco illegal

I've been thinking a lot about this sort of thing lately and I don't know.

Part of me thinks that, yeah, a lot of people are fucking stupid and need to be told what to do and how to do it. At the same time, I don't want to give up my own liberty to some higher authority.

Ideally nothing should be "banned" and people should just be smart enough to not do stupid things. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like I should just worry about myself, and the people I really care about and never mind what society is doing. But unfortunately society still affects me. It's hard to ignore.

I really don't know what's best. Maybe in the future everyone will be "enhanced" with superhuman intelligence, and nobody will have the freedom to be stupid.
    Rear Naked Joke African Astronaut
    Yes yes, good my son.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by G4LM Seriously it's such a stupid fucking habit now that vaping is considerably cheaper and widely available. No excuse for not switching other than "its my pacifier!"

They should make tobacco illegal

That's like saying people shouldn't play golf anymore since frisbee golf is free and widely available.

Some of us enjoy the finer things in life. Lol
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rear Naked Joke African Astronaut
    Originally posted by mmQ That's like saying people shouldn't play golf anymore since frisbee golf is free and widely available.

Some of us enjoy the finer things in life. Lol

I also your finer things out of your hand and stomp on it faggot
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Rear Naked Joke I also your finer things out of your hand and stomp on it faggot

Best thread ever
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Originally posted by Obbe I've been thinking a lot about this sort of thing lately and I don't know.

Part of me thinks that, yeah, a lot of people are fucking stupid and need to be told what to do and how to do it. At the same time, I don't want to give up my own liberty to some higher authority.

Ideally nothing should be "banned" and people should just be smart enough to not do stupid things. But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like I should just worry about myself, and the people I really care about and never mind what society is doing. But unfortunately society still affects me. It's hard to ignore.

I really don't know what's best. Maybe in the future everyone will be "enhanced" with superhuman intelligence, and nobody will have the freedom to be stupid.

I would just grow my own tobacco.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by -SpectraL I would just grow my own tobacco.

I think that's fine as long as you don't expect the rest of society to pay for your medical treatments. At the same time I think healthcare should be available to everyone, paid for through taxes, so I really wish you wouldn't do something as unhealthy as smoking. At the same time I don't want to tread on your liberty and limit your freedom to harm yourself. Therefore I don't know what to do.
    Originally posted by Obbe I think that's fine as long as you don't expect the rest of society to pay for your medical treatments. At the same time I think healthcare should be available to everyone, paid for through taxes, so I really wish you wouldn't do something as unhealthy as smoking. At the same time I don't want to tread on your liberty and limit your freedom to harm yourself. Therefore I don't know what to do.

The answer is you aren't supposed to know what to do with anybody else, because it's up to the person to personally decide for themselves what they want to do or not do. The trouble comes in when some retard comes on the scene thinking it knows what's best for everyone, or even doesn't know what's best for everyone. Get rid of the retard, and you no longer have any problems.
    Originally posted by -SpectraL The answer is you aren't supposed to know what to do with anybody else, because it's up to the person to personally decide for themselves what they want to do or not do. The trouble comes in when some retard comes on the scene thinking it knows what's best for everyone, or even doesn't know what's best for everyone. Get rid of the retard, and you no longer have any problems.

That's contradictory.
    Originally posted by Obbe That's contradictory.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I shouldn't really care what your opinion is, only find it interesting and of use to know.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Obbe I think that's fine as long as you don't expect the rest of society to pay for your medical treatments. At the same time I think healthcare should be available to everyone, paid for through taxes, so I really wish you wouldn't do something as unhealthy as smoking. At the same time I don't want to tread on your liberty and limit your freedom to harm yourself. Therefore I don't know what to do.

Where draw the line then? You shouldn't be expected to pay for my tobacco related medical issues but I should be expected to pay for your car accident medical issues or your son's broken leg during soccer practice medical bills? Whats the difference?
    Think of this: we are all brothers. Do brothers get to judge each other and have some kind of authority over each other? Not at all. But the retards think they're special. They'll find out in the end, when the fat lady sings, that they never were as special as they thought at all, when they get their asses kicked in by the one who can do it.
    Originally posted by mmQ Where draw the line then?

There is no line. Not between humans anyways.
    Originally posted by mmQ Where draw the line then? You shouldn't be expected to pay for my tobacco related medical issues but I should be expected to pay for your car accident medical issues or your son's broken leg during soccer practice medical bills? Whats the difference?

I don't know. I guess the difference is with smoking you are knowingly harming yourself. Your examples are more along the lines of accidents. It seems natural to want to help someone who has been hurt, but that desire seems to diminish considerably when the person was knowingly hurting themselves.
    Originally posted by -SpectraL Think of this: we are all brothers. Do brothers get to judge each other and have some kind of authority over each other? Not at all. But the retards think they're special. They'll find out in the end, when the fat lady sings, that they never were as special as they thought at all, when they get their asses kicked in by the one who can do it.

Brothers boss each other around and judge each other all the time.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Obbe I don't know. I guess the difference is with smoking you are knowingly harming yourself. Your examples are more along the lines of accidents. It seems natural to want to help someone who has been hurt, but that desire seems to diminish considerably when the person was knowingly hurting themselves.

We could consider that many smokers never in fact have medical issues related to it, just the same as most car owners or soccer practice kids never have a medical issue related to it. We could say that smoking and driving are the same risks and if you have a medical problem with either one, it's an accident.
    The Middle Path is useful for dilemmas like these... It tends to work out more better than either the left path or the right path.

Thus is why there are high taxes on tobacco. If you are going to something risky, you are going to pay bigly for it, which is also why many people will be persuaded not to do so and why those who do will do so less.
    Originally posted by mmQ We could say that smoking and driving are the same risks and if you have a medical problem with either one, it's an accident.

That does make sense.

What do you think about other issues, for example religion? Maybe you would say that all the crazy extreme behavior that tends to come with religion is simply the risk that goes along with having the liberty to believe what you want to.
Jump to Top