User Controls

Can you computer wizards give me some advice regarding computer science?

One of the outside foundation classes I can take is Intro to Java Programming, which is the only CSCI class I can take since it's the only one that doesn't have Calc prereqs, like C++ and Python do. How feasible is it for me to do well in this class given that I know nothing about computer science and am a psychology major who doesn't know any upper level math or programming period? Would it be too time intensive to learn on an otherwise full schedule? Is it knowledge that would somehow benefit me later in life?

Here is the description:

CSCI 1103 (4 Credits) Introduction to Computer Programming in Java

Fundamental programming concepts/software development using Java language. Problem solving skills. Algorithm development techniques. Use of abstractions/modularity. Data structures/abstract data types. Substantial programming projects. Weekly lab.
    Admin African Astronaut
    Super easy. You'll likely be learning how to set up an IDE, the basic structure of Java programs, different programming concepts and software development using Java language. They'll likely cover problem solving skills, algorithm development techniques, the use of abstractions and modularity, and data structures/abstract data types.
    Originally posted by Admin Super easy. You'll likely be learning how to set up an IDE, the basic structure of Java programs, different programming concepts and software development using Java language. They'll likely cover problem solving skills, algorithm development techniques, the use of abstractions and modularity, and data structures/abstract data types.

Do you think we'll have a weekly lab?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    But for real, what is a lab in CSI? What does that consist of?
    Admin African Astronaut
    Originally posted by DietPiano Do you think we'll have a weekly lab?

Likely. But I'm not sure.
    Admin African Astronaut
    Originally posted by DietPiano But for real, what is a lab in CSI? What does that consist of?

Making a program.
    L41n Houston
    Computer languages are a lot like other languages. If you want to learn many different languages and really understand their theoretical underpinnings then studying linguistics would be a good idea. If you just want to be able to talk to people in Spanish, it's helpful but you don't really need to study all linguistics you can just learn Spanish and a few basic concepts.

Based on that description that class is basically an "intro to Spanish" class. You'll need to learn some basic comp sci concepts as you go just as if you're an English speaker you'll need to learn some basic linguistic concepts when learning Spanish such as grammatical gender. It sounds like the class will give you those rather than expecting you to know them already.

I think learning some programming is helpful for everyone on a practical level. There's lots of little annoyances that can be solved by writing a quick little script. I think exposure to comp sci is helpful too. Comp Sci isn't so much about computers as it is computation and problem solving. People tend to think "math" which is a big part but it also overlaps with philosophy, linguistics, psychology and other fields. It can be helpful to how you approach a variety of problems.

All that said, Java isn't the best language to start on if you don't have much programming or comp sci experience. If you don't have a lot of programming experience it's gonna throw a lot of concepts at you at the start, but once you get over that initial hump it should be fine.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    It'll be hard, but programming is a good thing to have some idea of, and Java is a good place to start.
    Admin African Astronaut
    With Java you make Android apps and collect gift cards like me.
Jump to Top