User Controls

Shenmue 2: greatest game I have ever completed or really played

Wariat Marine/Preteen Biologist
    The experience of this game was like nothing else to me especially at the time wheres tuff like this didnt exist snd the ides of s game with npc characters moving arkund and having their own lives was mind boggling. Even morrowind with mods doesnt do this:

Japan-Is-Eternal Naturally Camouflaged
    That's my favorite game of all time.
    It was really really groundbreaking/revolutionary back in the day.
    Being able to walk around a game world that felt alive, the day and night cycle, being able to interact with all the NPCs and all the side quests.
    This is objectively the greatest game ever made, nothing ever has come close.
    Oh and around the time other games like Deus Ex: Invisible Revolution, Knights of the Old Republic and Fable came out, that period was like an RPG renaissance for the Xbox.
    Games today are such garbage compared to the 6th generation.
    I was recently permanently banned from the GTAFORUMS website for arguing against some dumb NPC about modern games being garbage compared to the 6th.
    It is an objective fact and has nothing at all to do with nostalgia, just look at the catalogs next to each other.
    6th gen had so many unique and groundbreaking releases, it was a golden age for gaming.
    With the 7th fewer and fewer games were released and the ones that did were either rehashes or sequels to AAA action adventure titles.
    With the 6th there was GTA 3, Animal Crossing, Shenmue 2, Silent Hill 3, Dragon Quest VIII, Disaster Report, Fable, Knights of the old Republic, Deus Ex Invisible War, Bully, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Underground, Splinter Cell, Morrowind, Deus Ex etc etc
    The 8th generation has not had a single really groundbreaking and original series or even anything that felt really interesting.
    I'll probably just stick to playing NES, PS2 and PS1 games for the rest of my life.
    What is crazy is how ahead of the time it was, even now they made a big deal of red dead redemption 2 how it shows the hand grabbing stuff. Shenmue 2 had this detail and the ability to grab objects out of shelves decades ahead of red red redemption 2 or anything rockstar has done since. I mean I have not played rdr2 but it seems to pale in co parison in every way to shenmue 2 and this is a 2019 game.
    G4LM African Astronaut
    Some of the worst games in existence
    By the way, despite me putting morrowind down when compared to shenmue 2, it is my second favorite game of all time and is also way ahead of snything rockstar produced.
    Originally posted by Wariat What is crazy is how ahead of the time it was, even now they made a big deal of red dead redemption 2 how it shows the hand grabbing stuff. Shenmue 2 had this detail and the ability to grab objects out of shelves decades ahead of red red redemption 2 or anything rockstar has done since. I mean I have not played rdr2 but it seems to pale in co parison in every way to shenmue 2 and this is a 2019 game.

Modern western game design is an ABSOLUTE joke
    They aren't even video games, they're basically themepark attractions with lite gameplay elements sprinkled here and there.
    Playing a modern game is like walking through some haunted house or something from universal studios, you start at point A and follow the lead to point B end of game.
    I watched videos of RDR2 on judentube and immediately I felt bored, nothing about what I saw seemed at all unique or worthy of existing, it felt so copy and pasted like hollywood movies.
    It's an insult to my senses and to the gamers of the world, like Final Fantasy XV, games these days are literally shallow empty husks with nothing to do but walk around and play the same four or five quests over and over 100 times until the game is over.
    That's why I hated GTA V, there was absolutely no substance to the game at all, everything was so shallow and lacking.
    My facorite game of all times list:
    1. Shenmue 2
    2. Morrowind
    3. Descent 3

All three were way ahead of their time and unmatched since.
    G4LM African Astronaut
    >being too poor to afford modern games

>modern games are shit
    Honorable mentions: kingpin life of crime, final fantasy 7 and thief.
    Originally posted by Wariat By the way, despite me putting morrowind down when compared to shenmue 2, it is my second favorite game of all time and is also way ahead of snything rockstar produced.

Back when game developers were sincere and not mossad/cia plants or shitskinned or a woman.

I legitimately loved and enjoyed Oblivion, but then Skyrim came out and like GTA V I was so underwhelmed and disappointed.
    Rockstar, Bethesda and every other major developer right now keep releasing the same exact game, just with different stories, characters and worlds.
    Ive always been a retro gamer anyway and thats why I like PC gaming because or mods. Classics can never die or with mods and new maps etc. If the community is there these games never die,
    Ever read retro gamer?
    Originally posted by Wariat My facorite game of all times list:
    1. Shenmue 2
    2. Morrowind
    3. Descent 3

All three were way ahead of their time and unmatched since.

My top 5 are:

1 - Shenmue 2
    2 - Silent Hill 3
    3 - Dragon Quest VIII
    4 - Grand Theft Auto 3
    5 - Team Fortress 2
    I played team fortress 2 last night again. I used to play it a lot but the sniper is so hard to use in those flose wuarters and you have to have patience for respawns. I always played scout snd srill do but it is hard for me to enjoy the other classes.
    Originally posted by Wariat Honorable mentions: kingpin life of crime, final fantasy 7 and thief.

ff8 > ff7
    I dos till enjoy 3d mario platformers and for some reason sunshine is my favorite despite being ranked the lowest. It was so fun doing tricks or not using the water cannon to try betaing the levels for instance and the world had so much personality.
    Originally posted by Wariat Ever read retro gamer?

The british magazine?
    I think I bought a few issues.

I prefer everything from the NES to the PS2.
    Back during that period gaming was at its peak and the greatest content came out during the time.
    The problem with modern gaming is that all developers are expected to keep increasing the fidelity of their games with each generation, small devs can't keep up or afford that so they're left out/ignored.
    Somebody should release a console that has modern specs (around what the PS5 will have) and keep that model around for 15 or more years and focus on attracting small and independent developers with games that might have production values resembling the 6th or early 7th generations.
    Originally posted by Wariat I dos till enjoy 3d mario platformers and for some reason sunshine is my favorite despite being ranked the lowest. It was so fun doing tricks or not using the water cannon to try betaing the levels for instance and the world had so much personality.

I was really disappointed in that game at first because it wasn't a normal mario platformer, which is what I wanted at the time.
    Looking back now through I'm glad it exists, the aesthetic and gameplay style is really kakkoi and soothing.
Jump to Top