User Controls

Fuckin' Magnets guy was right

I don't care much for ICP, but he was right: science really does take the magic out of life

For example: if you didn't know anything about science, you'd see a rainbow and think, "wow, that's amazing. It's so beautiful, magical even"

Then you Google it and see "oh, it's just light refracted from rain in the sky. That's not that impressive"
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    The rainbow is inside your mind. Because it is an optical illusion. 

Yes, light exists out there. Yes, those water droplets exist out there. Those are not a rainbow. Because a rainbow is an optical illusion produced when viewing water droplets at a particular angle relative to the source of light. The rainbow exists inside your perception. It has no physical location. A light source has an objective location. Water droplets in the sky have objective locations. But the rainbow exists only subjectively.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Why is a rainbow not impressive when you understand the physics involved?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    P.S. how can science be real if Berkeley is real?
    Ghost Black Hole
    Fuck you bitch his name is Shaggy 2 Dope this is Important information get his name right
    Originally posted by Lanny Why is a rainbow not impressive when you understand the physics involved?

I'm not the OP but I think he might have been saying that, while a rainbow might still be beautiful, once you understand what it really is the mystery is gone. And the mystery is what made it "magical".
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Lanny Why is a rainbow not impressive when you understand the physics involved?

How many IFLS types could pass a physics exam, or even explain why refraction occurs.

Physicists often have a lot of love for nature and the like, and lots are even religious or spiritual. It's just the fedoras who skim the surface that think they know it all.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Obbe I'm not the OP but I think he might have been saying that, while a rainbow might still be beautiful, once you understand what it really is the mystery is gone. And the mystery is what made it "magical".

What is it?

Refraction, that's odd, lets delve deep into that.

It involves surface tension, which no one really can model well, so no one understands, relativity and the speed of light in different substances, which no one really understands completely, the solar spectra, which no one really understands, the eye, which no one really understands, light, which no one really understands completely

You could spend a dozen lifetimes and still not "understand the physics" behind a rainbow.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country What is it?

Refraction, that's odd, lets delve deep into that.

It involves surface tension, which no one really can model well, so no one understands, relativity and the speed of light in different substances, which no one really understands completely, the solar spectra, which no one really understands, the eye, which no one really understands, light, which no one really understands completely

You could spend a dozen lifetimes and still not "understand the physics" behind a rainbow.

You've restored the magic!
Jump to Top