User Controls

Is there anything sadder than crashed advertising?

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I'd rather look at bluescreens than whatever was supposed to be there

though it does bother me that they use full windows installs for what amounts to a short slideshow or 30 second video
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by aldra I'd rather look at bluescreens than whatever was supposed to be there

though it does bother me that they use full windows installs for what amounts to a short slideshow or 30 second video

I honestly assume they outsourced to India, as it's so ridiculous, and around half the time I see these they are blue-screened.
    Grylls Cum Looking Faggot [abrade this vocal tread-softly]
    can you change your uploading site?

can never enlarge by clicking it
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Grylls can you change your uploading site?

seriously lol what are you too good for imgur, op?
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Originally posted by aldra I'd rather look at bluescreens than whatever was supposed to be there

I know right. Like when you see a jukebox in a bar crashed or rebooting and it's Windows. FFS why?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!

Content depositon:
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    because everyone knows how to install and use windows and its easy obviously

Here dumbass

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by A College Professor because everyone knows how to install and use windows and its easy obviously

think of the massively bloated costs though.

first you have to get a windows license for every display you run, then you need to pay for hardware that can actually run full windows (there's no real barebones/embedded option nowadays) etc.

each one of those displays could be run on a raspberry pi with minimal linux, updates managed via ssh/rsync etc.

total cost: $50 + cost of display, nothing ongoing except electricity and network connectivity
    Originally posted by Speedy Parker Here dumbass

Thanks, but it's basically a generic "windows is fucked and no one will ever figure out why" message.

There are variations on windows that will run literal decades without ever crashing, but clearly, this is not one of those variations,
    Originally posted by aldra think of the massively bloated costs though.

first you have to get a windows license for every display you run, then you need to pay for hardware that can actually run full windows (there's no real barebones/embedded option nowadays) etc.

each one of those displays could be run on a raspberry pi with minimal linux, updates managed via ssh/rsync etc.

total cost: $50 + cost of display, nothing ongoing except electricity and network connectivity

Even if you purchase a VLK it's an over priced solution for a single function device. That's what most don't get.

Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Thanks, but it's basically a generic "windows is fucked and no one will ever figure out why" message.

There are variations on windows that will run literal decades without ever crashing, but clearly, this is not one of those variations,

Are you serious when you say "literal" or just exaggerating? Because if you are serious my perception of you is altered slightly.

Decades = 20 years minimum let's start with that.

In 1999, "decades" ago, all consumer storage in a PC or MAC was HDD or maybe SCSI if you had a high end board or a SCSI controller card. the life span of either is not "decades" of non stop power on conditions or even normal daily use for that matter. So to say there are "variations" of Windows that will run for literal decades is simply an unfounded statement as no install of any OS can be said to have ran for literal decades as the hardware can not run that long to prove or disprove your "theory".
    NARCassist gollums fat coach

he's clearly posting pix with text in it too small to read so peeps will click to enlarge and get infected ith his ransomware, lol.

i actually find a blue screen way more interesting than any ad you'd ever see on one.

Originally posted by Speedy Parker Even if you purchase a VLK it's an over priced solution for a single function device. That's what most don't get.

Are you serious when you say "literal" or just exaggerating? Because if you are serious my perception of you is altered slightly.

Decades = 20 years minimum let's start with that.

In 1999, "decades" ago, all consumer storage in a PC or MAC was HDD or maybe SCSI if you had a high end board or a SCSI controller card. the life span of either is not "decades" of non stop power on conditions or even normal daily use for that matter. So to say there are "variations" of Windows that will run for literal decades is simply an unfounded statement as no install of any OS can be said to have ran for literal decades as the hardware can not run that long to prove or disprove your "theory".

I'm pretty sure HDDs can potentially live 100+ years if powered on continually, but this is about software, not hardware.
    depends on how they're used, most are guaranteed against mechanical failure for 5-10 years depending on the manufacturer

my dad used to tell me about a massive (physically) 20mb harddrive the state rail company got in the 80s and kept running until the early 2000s because they'd have to overhaul the entire system to upgrade, though I assume it was more or less just read into RAM in the morning and written back to magnetic in the evening.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country I'm pretty sure HDDs can potentially live 100+ years if powered on continually, but this is about software, not hardware.

I'm absolutely certain your wrong. Software has to have hardware to tun. No installation of windows has ever ran for decades non-stop because the hardware can't do it even if the OS could.
    i would have thought if run on a closed network and malware and upgrades wasn't an issue then there is no reason why software couldn't run for 20 years.

Ghost Black Hole
    Yes, it's beautiful.

This belongs in Art and Design, you uncultured swine can't even recognize Art when it slaps you across the face.
    Originally posted by NARCassist i would have thought if run on a closed network and malware and upgrades wasn't an issue then there is no reason why software couldn't run for 20 years.

Hardware wont last 20 years FFS. What are you going to run it on nonstop for 20 years? Your imagination?
Jump to Top