User Controls

How much debt would it take for you to kill yourself?

I don't know how bankruptcy works, so let's not worry about that.

50 million?

999.999k?

85k?

2k?

One penny?
    Can't put any specific amount on it, but the day they show up to arrest me, regardless of the amount, would be the end
    Grylls Cum Looking Faggot [abrade this vocal tread-softly]
    why
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    divvy the national debt up amongst all tax payers and its over a million bucks a piece . time to drain the swamp folks
    Speedy Parker Black Hole [my absentmindedly lachrymatory gazania]
    Originally posted by A College Professor divvy the national debt up amongst all tax payers and its over a million bucks a piece . time to drain the swamp folks

That debt is not real
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Nothing is real!!
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    Originally posted by DietPiano I don't know how bankruptcy works, so let's not worry about that.

50 million?

999.999k?

85k?

2k?

One penny?

N/A. I wouldn’t let myself get to that level of debt. We are not victims; debt is a choice.

Originally posted by A College Professor divvy the national debt up amongst all tax payers and its over a million bucks a piece . time to drain the swamp folks

The current administration already got into office partially based on the promise to “drain the swamp” and the federal deficit for 2019 is a record-high at over $1 trillion.

It’s not hard to balance a budget. Expenses need to be less than income. Don’t commit to pay for more than you bring in.
    Ghost Black Hole
    None because i'm a monk
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    I would never kill myself over any amount of debt. You don't actually go to jail for it like some people believe. Not unless you don't show up for court or something. IRS is a different beast.

If it really got that bad tho (millions of dollars bad) I'd just move to a non-extradition country. They can still extradite you, but they probably aren't going to do that over civil matters.

Killing yourself is the ultimate bitch move.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by Ajax N/A. I wouldn’t let myself get to that level of debt. We are not victims; debt is a choice.

Ok I know you're our resident capitalist around here, and I'm not even especially anti-capitalist, but you do kinda take it to new levels.

Of course deliberate action played a role in anyone's accumulation of debt, but to just so flippantly say "debt is a choice" is kinda brutal.

It really is more complicated than that.

Personal accountability should of course come into play, but if one person winds up rich and another poor, the differences in their decisions might have been rather subtle.
    In a sense, we really are victims of debt.

We are bombarded daily by junk mail telling us we are "pre-approved" for some new credit card that we might otherwise have never even heard of, and then apply for such a card because, at that moment, we are at a financially secure point in our lives...

But then something goes awry (we get sick; a family member gets sick; we get laid off; an estranged relative comes to crash at our place; etc)... Now we are no longer all that financially secure.

Debt starts to gradually accumulate.

Debt begets more debt.

ETC.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Ok I know you're our resident capitalist around here, and I'm not even especially anti-capitalist, but you do kinda take it to new levels.

Of course deliberate action played a role in anyone's accumulation of debt, but to just so flippantly say "debt is a choice" is kinda brutal.

It really is more complicated than that.

Personal accountability should of course come into play, but if one person winds up rich and another poor, the differences in their decisions might have been rather subtle.

Erekshun Naturally Camouflaged
    I suicide people who owe me
    Originally posted by gadzooks In a sense, we really are victims of debt.

We are bombarded daily by junk mail telling us we are "pre-approved" for some new credit card that we might otherwise have never even heard of, and then apply for such a card because, at that moment, we are at a financially secure point in our lives…

But then something goes awry (we get sick; a family member gets sick; we get laid off; an estranged relative comes to crash at our place; etc)… Now we are no longer all that financially secure.

Debt starts to gradually accumulate.

Debt begets more debt.

ETC.

This sounds like a person who is in debt.
    Originally posted by Ajax

itybit African Astronaut [daze my amino pe-tsai]
    Ajax, your wrong, debt isn't always a choice, what about the thousands of people that are in debt due to medical bills because they got a debilitating illness
    Originally posted by itybit Ajax, your wrong, debt isn't always a choice, what about the thousands of people that are in debt due to medical bills because they got a debilitating illness

Its ur fault 4 not having a few hundred thousand on hand

Idiiotz
    Originally posted by itybit Ajax, your wrong, debt isn't always a choice, what about the thousands of people that are in debt due to medical bills because they got a debilitating illness

What is health insurance and an emergency fund to cover your deductible / out of pocket maximum?
    Originally posted by GGG This sounds like a person who is in debt.

The hypothetical character in my brief narrative? Or the person who posted it?

Either way, we are one and the same.

I mean, I do plan on paying all my debt off. I'm close to the 100k mark (mostly student loans, but also divided into various other debts consolidated into one).

I do take personal responsibility for the role I played in accumulated such debt, but life really isn't as simple as a lot of people characterize it to be.

In an ideal world:
    1. Creditors would not be as predatory as they are.
    2. People who hit hard times would be allowed a certain amount of leeway rather than be carpet bombed with poverty tax "NSF fees" and such.
    3. People who are ready and willing to work but can't find employment because the job market is the least efficient market conceivable wouldn't incur punitive costs for a broken system.
    4. People who are doing well in life would not flippantly say things like "debt is a choice" to those who are not.

Etc.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Apparently more than 100k.
Jump to Top