User Controls

Story someone posted on reddit about being followed by the government in Xinjiang, China.

GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/ccpe7p/i_visited_xinjiang_not_too_long_ago_in_one_city_a/

I'm just gonna post the best posts from this guy because I know none of you will click this link. But I do recommend reading to get the whole story because this shit is insane and becoming more and more common in China.

When I arrived here, I tried to take a taxi. Taxis wouldn't stop, or if they did they didn't want to stop for too long or even haggle. When I went to the bus station, the guy behind the counter stepped away and called the police. I got a phone call not long after telling me to stay where I was. Police arrived and told me they know my name, my job, where I live in China, etc. We went to the police station where I got grilled on more questions and I was told I can't take the bus or taxi, but I could use a driver that they wanted for 450 kuai (a more fair price would be 300).

The next day I checked out of the hotel, and the concierge offered me a free taxi to the train station. When I told her my train left around midnight and that I'd rather walk around the city, she called the police on the phone and told them I wasn't taking the taxi and wanted to walk. I noticed this van following me after walking half a kilometer. Later when I walked to the old Muslim quarters of the city, two motorcycle cops (both Uyghur - lots of cops are Uyghur, btw) followed me and told me I couldn't take pictures at some places. When I walked to a village, some villagers saw me and we talked for all of 10 seconds until the van pulled up. When I started walking, I noticed the driver got out and went into their home and must have asked them what we talked about. I didn't talk to another Uyghur after that.

At the end of the day, when I saw the van waiting for me after exiting a museum, without looking them in the eye I told them to take me to the train station.

At the train station I met a young policeman who wanted to practice his English, spouting all the usual stuff ("it's for your safety" "you don't understand" etc). The most interesting thing by far is that he said the government forces the Uyghurs to celebrate Spring Festival.

I paid $100 to change my plane ticket to leave two days earlier.

Yeah, the young cop at the train station was interesting. I mean, he was really opening up to me about what was going on, and he asked my opinion and I gave it to him. And he told me some of the stuff from western news, like the Uyghurs being forcefed pork was bogus. But in the same breath he said the government forces them to celebrate Spring Festival, and having to write Chinese and hanging it up on their home (which I saw in the village).

He told me he was in Xinjiang because he joined the party and a lot of people have to start in Xinjiang to climb up the ladder.

Something interesting happened at the train station, too: there was a Uyghur guy in a wheelchair who had a concealed knife somewhere in his chair that went off. I saw the whole thing and the cop did too, and he told me that guy was definitely going to a camp. I can't imagine how bad it's gotta be for a guy in a wheelchair to go to one of those camps.

At the end he asked for my wechat and I said, "I don't play wechat".

This is from a different poster in that thread but still a good little story:

I traveled all over Xinjiang in 2006. I'm glad I got to go before the majority of this crap happened. I wandered all over. I was invited into the homes of Uyghur people and fed, and taught about the town or village, etc. Everyone was outgoing, but there was no interaction at all between Han and Uyghur people.

I was in Kashgar, and I had bought a train ticket back to Urumqi, on my way back home to Guangdong. I was leaving the hotel and was waiting for a taxi to come by. As I was standing there, this Uyghur teenager came up to me, speaking perfect English, and was asking me to go with him to his house, so he could show his family that he had a friend who was a foreigner.

I told him that I didn't have time, and I was leaving Kashgar. He said "Your train doesn't leave until 4:30. You've got time. We'll get you there."

All sorts of red flags flew up at that. I hadn't mentioned whether I was flying or taking a train or a bus, along with the "WE will get you there".

About that time a Uyghur cabbie pulled up and I told him I needed to go to the train station. He said something I didn't understand to the Uyghur kid and grabbed my bag and threw it in the car. He then told me to get in and not to say anything. The kid started screaming at us. The cabbie booked it out of there. I asked him what the hell all that was about and he said it was most likely some sort of scam or even a way for the cops to get me in for questioning. I guess back then they tried not to be so overt about it.

It was such a great month or so that I spent out there, but this is by far the most vivid memory I have. Whenever I read about what's happening there now, I get just so fucking sad about it.

It's probably a bad thing that this makes me want to go to China more.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Don't be foolish, §m£ÂgØL. China won't treat you nearly as well as the red white and blue. Fuck up just once, or be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll never be seen again.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by WellHung Don't be foolish, §m£ÂgØL. China won't treat you nearly as well as the red white and blue. Fuck up just once, or be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll never be seen again.

Jump to Top