User Controls

AirDooAwn politik

Erduon decides to buy Russian air defense systems, prevents self from being able to purchase F35s. Why do this?
    J
    Iiui
    H
    because f35s are stealth elephants.

they'd appear to be white if it werent for their stealth capabilities.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I wouldn't be surprised if he did this explicitly to get OUT of the f-35 deal considering the cost blowouts and poor performance.

Two main things though, not exclusive to Turkey:

1. Russian anti-air is the best in the world in the moment, and munitions are significantly cheaper than comparable systems like Patriot
    2. Erdogan believes that the US was complicit in his recent coup/assassination attempt, and more and more sees them as hostile but relations are still necessary. There is no trust in the relationship, so it makes perfect sense that he would NOT want to have to rely solely on AA systems that the enemy understands better than his military does (as well as the potential that they could be interfered with remotely) should it break down into actual kinetic war. That's not to say he trusts Russia or China any more, which is why he's not committing to any one supplier for his entire air defence arsenal.

I believe the same scenario is playing out in the Gulf states too, with KSA, UAE and pals diversifying away from the US being their sole/primary hardware provider.
    Originally posted by aldra I wouldn't be surprised if he did this explicitly to get OUT of the f-35 deal considering the cost blowouts and poor performance.

Two main things though, not exclusive to Turkey:

1. Russian anti-air is the best in the world in the moment, and munitions are significantly cheaper than comparable systems like Patriot
    2. Erdogan believes that the US was complicit in his recent coup/assassination attempt, and more and more sees them as hostile but relations are still necessary. There is no trust in the relationship, so it makes perfect sense that he would NOT want to have to rely solely on AA systems that the enemy understands better than his military does (as well as the potential that they could be interfered with remotely) should it break down into actual kinetic war. That's not to say he trusts Russia or China any more, which is why he's not committing to any one supplier for his entire air defence arsenal.

I believe the same scenario is playing out in the Gulf states too, with KSA, UAE and pals diversifying away from the US being their sole/primary hardware provider.

they been reading steve job's autobio.
    one day there would be i-phighters.

by apple.
    On the topic of F35's, it's a good thing the Marine Corps/Navy cucked themselves by building new ships without welldecks, so that the F35 is literally the only option now. 👍
Jump to Top