User Controls

When you're working at a job with nametags and somebody calls you by your name

GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    It is always a bit unsettling
    stl1 Cum Lickin' Fagit
    Get a better job, Pedro.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I have one
    WellHung Black Hole
    thats The problem with you m^illennials. You're awkward face-to-face. Y'all have bad interpersonal skills. That's because you all would rather communicate via the computer than face-to-face.
    Originally posted by WellHung thats The problem with you m^illennials. You're awkward face-to-face.

It's awkward to forget I'm wearing a nametag?
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    I told a homeless guy my name today after doing something nice for him then when he said it after I almost punched him because I didn't like the way he said it but he really didn't mean anything
    Technologist victim of incest
    Originally posted by GGG It is always a bit unsettling

Well damn, I don’t mean to be unsettling, never thought of it that way. I make it a point to look at name tags. At the grocery I’ll say how are you today “Mary”. When I’m talking to customer service on the phone, if I don’t catch their name when they say it, I ask them their name. Then I usually say, “hi ‘Mary’, I’m Jane. The reason I’m calling today, etc., etc..”

People seem to receive it well, from my experience. I feel like it ads a personal touch.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by Sudo I told a homeless guy my name today after doing something nice for him then when he said it after I almost punched him because I didn't like the way he said it but he really didn't mean anything

You don't believe in punctuation? Also, there's no way you almost punched him. You know better than that. You're not a violent man.
    Archer513 African Astronaut
    I believe the purpose of name tags/badges is so ppl address you by name
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by Technologist Well damn, I don’t mean to be unsettling, never thought of it that way. I make it a point to look at name tags. At the grocery I’ll say how are you today “Mary”. When I’m talking to customer service on the phone, if I don’t catch their name when they say it, I ask them their name. Then I usually say, “hi ‘Mary’, I’m Jane. The reason I’m calling today, etc., etc..”

People seem to receive it well, from my experience. I feel like it ads a personal touch.

Exactly. I make it a point to utilize people's names n remember them ...and it totally personalizes the experience. People seem to appreciate it.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by Archer513 I believe the purpose of name tags/badges is so ppl address you by name

Yet it bothers §m£ÂgØL. Dude is a strange bird. Hes got some weird ass social phobias or something... dude is socially awkward.
    Originally posted by Technologist Well damn, I don’t mean to be unsettling, never thought of it that way. I make it a point to look at name tags. At the grocery I’ll say how are you today “Mary”. When I’m talking to customer service on the phone, if I don’t catch their name when they say it, I ask them their name. Then I usually say, “hi ‘Mary’, I’m Jane. The reason I’m calling today, etc., etc..”

When someone introduces themselves over the phone I do use their name and introduce myself. But whenever I would have someone say my name I'd think "How do you know my name? Oh right, I'm wearing a name tag." It's only unsettling for like those two seconds where I don't know how they know me and I'm trying to remember if I recognize them or not.
    Originally posted by WellHung Yet it bothers §m£ÂgØL. Dude is a strange bird. Hes got some weird ass social phobias or something… dude is socially awkward.

Genuinely I am not awkward I don't think. I'm a fucking weirdo and some people don't know how to handle it, but I am by no means shy and people are usually pretty comfortable around me. I used to have a lot of social anxiety to the point I'd miss weeks or months of school, but now i just don't give a fuck. I get excited before job interviews because I get to meet new people, idk.

You mentioned the phone earlier... I do have a phone phobia. Even if it's calling a friend I just fucking hate using the phone and will avoid it at any cost. You can't see any gestures or facial expressions or any of that shit. I MUCH prefer face to face interaction. Text is okay because it gives me time to think, however I hate stuff like Snapchat where people can see who read what and who's writing and blah blah blah.
    To be perfectly honest I think it was years and years of using drugs that have erased my social anxiety. Either I was stoned and experienced a constantly worse social anxiety/quietness than my usual self, or I was taking drugs which erase anxiety and developing the habit of being more open and friendly.
    Technologist victim of incest
    Originally posted by GGG When someone introduces themselves over the phone I do use their name and introduce myself. But whenever I would have someone say my name I'd think "How do you know my name? Oh right, I'm wearing a name tag." It's only unsettling for like those two seconds where I don't know how they know me and I'm trying to remember if I recognize them or not.

Well that makes sense. I get that.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by GGG When someone introduces themselves over the phone I do use their name and introduce myself. But whenever I would have someone say my name I'd think "How do you know my name? Oh right, I'm wearing a name tag." It's only unsettling for like those two seconds where I don't know how they know me and I'm trying to remember if I recognize them or not.

i got u know. i get it.👍
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    If you're doing customer service you really should be given the choice to work pseudonymously.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by GGG Genuinely I am not awkward I don't think. I'm a fucking weirdo and some people don't know how to handle it, but I am by no means shy and people are usually pretty comfortable around me. I used to have a lot of social anxiety to the point I'd miss weeks or months of school, but now i just don't give a fuck. I get excited before job interviews because I get to meet new people, idk.

You mentioned the phone earlier… I do have a phone phobia. Even if it's calling a friend I just fucking hate using the phone and will avoid it at any cost. You can't see any gestures or facial expressions or any of that shit. I MUCH prefer face to face interaction. Text is okay because it gives me time to think, however I hate stuff like Snapchat where people can see who read what and who's writing and blah blah blah.

i like that attitude, Son. Ur making huge strides.
    Originally posted by Technologist Well that makes sense. I get that.

I knew you'd understand Mommy.
    Helladamnleet African Astronaut [impartially tyrannize that lentinus]
    Originally posted by GGG I have one

Obviously not if you have to wear a nametag.
Jump to Top