User Controls

How 2 know if laptop can recieve new gramphics card

My laptop has integrated Intel gramphics, but it also has an NVIDIA gramphics/rendering card. Does that mean I can take out the NVIDIA card and put in a different gramphics card? If it means anything I also have 2GB of dedicated VRAM, and I think that's loaded on the NVIDDIA. Or is a rendering card different than a grampa card?
    If you want help you need to not use your retarded Dietpiano gibberish language.
    just hammer it in with a rock if it doesn't fit it'll be good
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by OG_GREENPLASTIC_JOHNSON_III just hammer it in with a rock if it doesn't fit it'll be good

Idk why he didnt get the rock in the first place. Why even mess with electronics?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    No, your inbuilt card is just a single chip, soldered to the mobo. You can't replace.

There are various options for adding external graphics cards, including docking stations, can't say I'd recommend any.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    it's potentially possible to replace the dedicated GPU but chances are the motherboard will refuse to recognise it. even if it does the power transfer is tailored to the card the computer is designed for so you're probably going to run undervolted if it works at all, and the existing thermal system will not work so you'll have to find another way to dissipate the heat.

an external GPU dock is an option but not a good one. I tried it once before and failed; I wouldn't bother trying again unless your laptop has a thunderbolt port and even then just buying a gaming PC is better value.
    rats.

So what is the difference between the integrated and the dedicated? Is the integrated like more power friendly and the dedicated is better performing?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Integrated is built into the CPU, and sucks. No matter what, don't believe the marketing.

Dedicated is better, but honestly laptops just aren't very good for gaming or crypto-currency mining or deep learning or whatever.

You need a full size machine for that.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    It would help to know the model. Virtually all laptops, unless they are marketed and sold as "gaming laptops" use some form of integrated graphics. That said, if you have purchased a "gaming laptop" from companies such a Clevo, MSI, etc, then yeah, you might be able to.

Protip: When asking a specific question, provide the hardware you're using. It makes things much easier for those offering you help. You get better help too. JUST SAYIN'.

This doesn't tell us whether the CPU is acting as GPU as well (as is with integrated graphics) or if you have something like Intel HD graphics, or if you have a dedicated PCIE slot to upgrade.

We need your model. Look on the bottom of the laptop for a model. If it is an HP, it might read 15-da0032wm or some shit. If you can't seem to locate one, remove the battery. It will almost certainly be under there.
    This doesn't tell us whether the CPU is acting as GPU as well (as is with AMD APU's) or if you have something like Intel HD graphics, or if you have a dedicated PCIE slot to upgrade.

We need your model. Look on the bottom of the laptop for a model. If it is an HP, it might read 15-da0032wm or some shit. If you can't seem to locate one, remove the battery. It will almost certainly be under there.
    81ca000bus-pk

the pk may not be necessary
    Originally posted by DietPiano 81ca000bus-pk

the pk may not be necessary

This laptop does not have graphics expansion capabilities.
    does viewing screenshots where someone is signed in to their NIS profile give anyone else a strange sort of change in consciousness/paradigm shift?
    Originally posted by JĎ…icebox does viewing screenshots where someone is signed in to their NIS profile give anyone else a strange sort of change in consciousness/paradigm shift?

yes
    Nice specs op
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    This would require removing the cooling tubes and breaking the seal on the cooling gel. Also, most BIOS will not support such a hardware swap. You'd have to flash your BIOS first. Not recommended.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Plus, too, if your screws don't go back in as snug as they did before you swapped the card for whatever reason, that can cause a heat increase of up to 20 degrees, enough to fry the unit.
    I'm pretty sure desoldering the old chip and soldering the new one would be the hard bit - ball-grid array soldering isn't easy to do at home.
Jump to Top