User Controls

4G is a fucking disappointment

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    No matter what, no matter where you are, during peak hours speeds don't exceed 10mbps.

It seems like as time goes on speeds actually decrease. I remember getting 50mbps when the tech was new. I guess it's network congestion.

And the coverage is shit. You can't rely on fast internet when on the bus or in the gym or anything.

I bought a 4G router and 18 month plan recently. I'm looking to return it because it's just so terrible. Slow and shitty.

Functionally 4G is only marginally better than 3G.

Maybe 5G will be better - but don't get your hopes up.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    One of my friends assumed that when 4G came out his computer (which was a Pentium 4 Dell I sold him for something .fairly nominal) would become faster.

I gave him a nice IBM ThinkPad with a nice little SSD a little later. He traded it with some negress for sex.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country No matter what, no matter where you are, during peak hours speeds don't exceed 10mbps.

It seems like as time goes on speeds actually decrease. I remember getting 50mbps when the tech was new. I guess it's network congestion.

And the coverage is shit. You can't rely on fast internet when on the bus or in the gym or anything.

I bought a 4G router and 18 month plan recently. I'm looking to return it because it's just so terrible. Slow and shitty.

Functionally 4G is only marginally better than 3G.

Maybe 5G will be better - but don't get your hopes up.

That's because every network, computer and operating system wasn't infected with surveillance malware when it first came out
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Maybe Ireland just has shit 4G coverage. America, land of the free and home of ALL BRAVE, has excellent coverage for 4GLTE and even some 5G now. I think you just live in a potato country and are mad that you don't have 1st world coverage.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Functionally 4G is only marginally better than 3G.

funny story.

sometimes i have to switch my phone to 3g due to shitty signal to get better speed than i can get with 4g.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country One of my friends assumed that when 4G came out his computer (which was a Pentium 4 Dell I sold him for something .fairly nominal) would become faster.

I gave him a nice IBM ThinkPad with a nice little SSD a little later. He traded it with some negress for sex.

you are a good friend.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny funny story.

sometimes i have to switch my phone to 3g due to shitty signal to get better speed than i can get with 4g.

Weird, that is what I have done on my phone. The coverage and speed is just so much more reliable.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Weird, that is what I have done on my phone. The coverage and speed is just so much more reliable.

for me its location dependent.

some places 3g is faster, while not others.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny for me its location dependent.

some places 3g is faster, while not others.

In Beijing 4G probly works fine cuz there r enough towers... But when you get out into the countryside you got to switch to 3G.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny funny story.

that used to happen a lot with 3g/2g too
    Originally posted by aldra that used to happen a lot with 3g/2g too

Yeah, in 2009 I remember choosing EDGE (2.5g) over 3G. EDGE worked fine with the websites of the day. Crazy to think.

GPRS (2G) always was a complete shoah tho
    Originally posted by aldra that used to happen a lot with 3g/2g too

funnier story.

i remained on 2g until very recently.
Jump to Top