User Controls

A paradox I came up with that isn't a paradox at all probably

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Say you make 100 dollars a day at work, on average, and you take a few days off, so in essence you're forfeiting 200 dollars to have two days off basically you're kinda paying 100 dollars a day to have a day to yourself which seems pretty steep.

But of course you're not physically paying someone money to have the day off, but you still kind of are because if you didn't take the day off your have 100 more dollars.

Que?
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by mmQ Say you make 100 dollars a day at work, on average, and you take a few days off, so in essence you're forfeiting 200 dollars to have two days off basically you're kinda paying 100 dollars a day to have a day to yourself which seems pretty steep.

But of course you're not physically paying someone money to have the day off, but you still kind of are because if you didn't take the day off your have 100 more dollars.

Que?

its called lost wages or lost human capital or something. Economists quantify it in different ways
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    What makes it weird to me is say a homeless person who lives on the streets for a year say, and never has a job instead of say working at McDonalds thatyear, so a homeless person is paying like 20,000 dollars a year to be homeless. Ya know?
    Erekshun Naturally Camouflaged
    So, say you are walking around on your day off and find a hundred dollars. Now what?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Erekshun So, say you are walking around on your day off and find a hundred dollars. Now what?

You go buy a sack of weed a case of beer, have 50 spare dollars and enjoy your day.
    blaster master victim of incest
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by blaster master #wageslavecuck4life

Originally posted by mmQ What makes it weird to me is say a homeless person who lives on the streets for a year say, and never has a job instead of say working at McDonalds thatyear, so a homeless person is paying like 20,000 dollars a year to be homeless. Ya know?
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Originally posted by mmQ Say you make 100 dollars a day at work, on average, and you take a few days off, so in essence you're forfeiting 200 dollars to have two days off basically you're kinda paying 100 dollars a day to have a day to yourself which seems pretty steep.

Que?

or you could say that anybody could leave their job and start a business and make a million in a year, so technically you're paying $963,500 per year just to go to work for some other douche.

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by NARCassist or you could say that anybody could leave their job and start a business and make a million in a year, so technically you're paying $963,500 per year just to go to work for some other douche.

Yeah, of sorts. I was using more of a standard wage so to speak for a standard populus that obviously xant all be managers and CEOs. But that's the paradoxical part because blah blah blah.

I mean some people live on the streets their whole life, and they manage, and they live. So is it like they payed millions of dollars over the course of a few decades to live that way, or did they just live that way for free?
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Sudo its called lost wages or lost human capital or something. Economists quantify it in different ways

Opportunity cost.

It's the money you forefeit by choosing not to take an action.

It's something you need to consider when taking certain actions, for instance if you volunteer instead of working the volunteering costs you the $100 or whatever you could have earned by choosing to work instead.
    Needledick Needledick Needledick motherfucker [mulishly down your brachydactylia]
    Why make billions when we can make... Millions
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Opportunity cost.

It's the money you forefeit by choosing not to take an action.

It's something you need to consider when taking certain actions, for instance if you volunteer instead of working the volunteering costs you the $100 or whatever you could have earned by choosing to work instead.

How does that number factor in to ... things? Like everyone could work 24 hours a day 7 days a week and make the MAX POTENTIAL so when they're NOT working is it constantly considered opportunity cost?
    I make 280 a day so I am not worried about a day or 2. And because vacation.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Erekshun I make 280 a day so I am not worried about a day or 2. And because vacation.

That's the point though. It's not to say people are doing the wrong thing by not working, but it's just weird to think that basically any day you dont work you're sort of paying that much to do just that. But I suppose there are a lot of factors and MOVING PARTS that you have to consider. The math of hours lived vs hours worked divided by this and that
    Don't forget too, if you get paid $100 a day then you probably make the business $200 a day. So they lose too.
    and the flip side that time spent working is time not living. life is about living, not how much wealth you accumulate. you can't take that money with you at the end, but a wasted life is still a wasted life.

imagine an entire life spent on a production line?

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    The solution is to get a better job. One where you earn more than 100 bucks a day, or get to go on paid leave/holiday.
    if you stop being a materialistic tard none of this is even an issue.

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Erekshun Don't forget too, if you get paid $100 a day then you probably make the business $200 a day. So they lose too.

If you think about it, no one is actually losing anything in this scenario, they're simply not making what they could have made. Would we say that a business that has 10 employees that make the company 200 a day each, is losing in comparison to another business that has 20 employees that make them 200 a day each?

They're not losing, the smaller business is just making a little less.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
Jump to Top