User Controls

Why is Windows XP so fucking lightning fast but Windows 10 is absolute garbage?

HikikomoriYume0 African Astronaut
    Really what the fuck is this.
    Ever since Windows Vista it's all been so slow and sluggish, but WinXP is so immediate.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    That's why I use it. I've been using it ever since it came out and never switched. Never had a single issue with it the whole time, never had to reinstall anything, totally compatible with all the good older stuff, and as you say, lightning fast. I just use a manually configured rule-based firewall to stifle off any and all unwanted connections and security has been flawless for years.
    And if you want a good browser that still works very well on WinXP...

chrome32_49.0.2623.75

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php
    I'll check that out

also it's shameful how M$ has completely dropped support for WinXP.
    You can't even download the service packs from their site anymore ...
    what the fuck I just install the amd catalyst program and nothing fucking happened.
    This is about as frustrating as trying to install debian or freebsd.
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 I'll check that out

also it's shameful how M$ has completely dropped support for WinXP.
    You can't even download the service packs from their site anymore …

You can download the standalone service pack 3 install executable. Works perfectly.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html
    FUCK YES GOT THE GRAPHICS DRIVER INSTALLED

^_^ so happy I am finally back in business
    Try PrivateFirewall 7.0. Very nice and free product, and a wide variety of easy-to-use blocking/enhancementing options, including process monitoring, and also a very nice customizable rule-set builder.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/privatefirewall.html

Privatefirewall is an integrated desktop firewall and multi-layer intrusion prevention software delivers signature-less, zero-hour protection from known or new spyware, viruses, hacking techniques and other intrusions on Windows desktops and servers.

Privatefirewall is comprised of several distinct protection layers including desktop firewall, port manager, URL enhancementing, process monitor, and application/system behavior modeling and anomaly detection components. Privatefirewall 7.0 evaluates WinAPI calls and analyzes a comprehensive list of system variables and security-sensitive registry keys and alerts administrators to possible malware, attack, or policy violations.
    cool I'll give it a try

arigatou
    toz African Astronaut
    Window 7 is pretty decent though.

after that.. it went straight downhill

plus, what ever happen to Windows 9? Just like a Note8 by Samsung..it never existed. they skipped a fucking number. sup with that?
    Originally posted by toz Window 7 is pretty decent though.

after that.. it went straight downhill

plus, what ever happen to Windows 9? Just like a Note8 by Samsung..it never existed. they skipped a fucking number. sup with that?

Microsoft has gone to absolute shit.
    They named the third xbox "Xbox One" ...
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 Microsoft has gone to absolute shit.
    They named the third xbox "Xbox One" …

They named the second one 360, what's your point?
    It's amazing how with XP my desktop with 4gb of ram and a core duo 2 outpaces my 2017 laptop with an i3 and 8gb of ram
    toz African Astronaut
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 It's amazing how with XP my desktop with 4gb of ram and a core duo 2 outpaces my 2017 laptop with an i3 and 8gb of ram

the architech parts are smaller.. controlling the speed probably.. same design but smaller parts. also the ram requires a bus device? which speeds up the speed during bottle-neck of processing.

maybe .. I dont know. at one point it used to be something about how many Hertz or giga hertz the processor was and when it got to like 3.x it was lowered to 1 and 2 point x .. at some point having more creates a drag somewhere in the design?
    wait till you have a drive larger than 2tb.
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 Really what the fuck is this.
    Ever since Windows Vista it's all been so slow and sluggish, but WinXP is so immediate.

I find the opposite, I have an XP system that is slow as fuck, my Win10 system boots up in like 10 seconds with my SATAIII SSD in it.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny wait till you have a drive larger than 2tb.

I'm using a 6tb hard drive for the OS install and it's working perfectly fine.
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson I find the opposite, I have an XP system that is slow as fuck, my Win10 system boots up in like 10 seconds with my SATAIII SSD in it.

maybe it's your computer architecture.
    The desktop I'm running XP on is 32bit, it's an intel core duo 2 from an HP pc I had in 2007.
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 I'm using a 6tb hard drive for the OS install and it's working perfectly fine.

your lying thru your teeths,

win xp32 wont work with anything larger than 2tb natively.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny your lying thru your teeths,

win xp32 wont work with anything larger than 2tb natively.

You're confusing fat32 and windows xp.

XP ships with NTFS fbw
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top