User Controls

Quantum mechanics is ridiculously Difficult to understand...

WellHung Black Hole
    Folks, atomic particles can behave so unpredictably.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

-- Richard Feynman.

"Quantum mechanics is very impressive. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing."

-- Albert Einstein.

Two of the world's most renowned historical figures in physics, both having contributed towards major paradigm shifts (Feynman towards QM, and Einstein towards relativity theory), were put off by how unintuitive QM was (and still is).

We have no natural cognitive scaffolding to make sense of things like wave-particle duality, for example. I mean, for thousands of years of human history, things were either one thing or another, never two things simultaneously.

And now we've got string theory and whatnot.

I can only imagine what new theories will follow.

Or maybe humans in general are just all a bunch of P branes, completely unequipped to wrap our primitive Homo sapiens minds around such complex phenomena.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by gadzooks – Richard Feynman.

– Albert Einstein.

Two of the world's most renowned historical figures in physics, both having contributed towards major paradigm shifts (Feynman towards QM, and Einstein towards relativity theory), were put off by how unintuitive QM was (and still is).

We have no natural cognitive scaffolding to make sense of things like wave-particle duality, for example. I mean, for thousands of years of human history, things were either one thing or another, never two things simultaneously.

And now we've got string theory and whatnot.

I can only imagine what new theories will follow.

Or maybe humans in general are just all a bunch of P-branes, completely unequipped to wrap our primitive Homo sapiens minds around such complex phenomena.

They were both jedis, so therefore lying to keep the reality of what they had discovered from the goyim.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country They were both jedis, so therefore lying to keep the reality of what they had discovered from the goyim.

Actually that makes a lot of sense
    WellHung Black Hole
    goyim?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Actually that makes a lot of sense

What will you do with this knowledge?
    Originally posted by mmQ What will you do with this knowledge?

Keep it secret probably
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I won't tell em then
    Originally posted by mmQ I won't tell em then

Only you, me, and the joos will know
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Only you, me, and the joos will know

*heh heh heh rubs palms and such*
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Here's an easy explanation...

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Quantum mechanics ruins the concept of randomness
    Originally posted by -SpectraL Here's an easy explanation…

One thing I found pretty interesting about this particular video was at about ~6 minutes in, when he starts talking about quantum entanglement in the context of the Big Bang.

It all got me thinking about how Einstein revolutionized physics by coming along and saying "hey, wait a minute, space and time are one and the same."

Then quantum mechanics comes along and they're saying "actually, hold up, all matter in the universe is still physically connected ever since it originated from a single microscopic point."

So, does that mean that human perceived concepts like space/distance and time are all just illusions?

Like... WTF?

The implications are pretty mind blowing.

Fuck, I need a drink.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by mmQ Quantum mechanics ruins the concept of randomness

Yeah i also have things to say about quantum mechanics
    Originally posted by gadzooks One thing I found pretty interesting about this particular video was at about ~6 minutes in, when he starts talking about quantum entanglement in the context of the Big Bang.

It all got me thinking about how Einstein revolutionized physics by coming along and saying "hey, wait a minute, space and time are one and the same."

Then quantum mechanics comes along and they're saying "actually, hold up, all matter in the universe is still physically connected ever since it originated from a single microscopic point."

So, does that mean that human perceived concepts like space/distance and time are all just illusions?

Like… WTF?

The implications are pretty mind blowing.

Fuck, I need a drink.

Originally posted by gadzooks We have no natural cognitive scaffolding to make sense of things like wave-particle duality, for example. I mean, for thousands of years of human history, things were either one thing or another, never two things simultaneously.

this reminds me of lanny's sex.

lanny's sex, as some of you might have noticed, is like a schrodingger's cat.

as long as we dont think of it lanny can exist as a male and female both at the same time and behave harmoniously between the two different states of sexuality until

until we give it a thought which upon then the universe will have no other choice but to choose and force a gender identity unto lanny.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by GGG Yeah i also have things to say about quantum mechanics

Fuck you!!! Incest victim.

:)

A single particle can be in 30,000 different states, when unobserved. There could be many more. And that's only on a single plane.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by -SpectraL A single particle can be in 30,000 different states, when unobserved. There could be many more. And that's only on a single plane.

Please tell me about wormholes, spectral.👍
Jump to Top