User Controls

Apple shutting down iTunes store

HikikomoriYume0 African Astronaut
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-apple-kills-itunes-20190531-story.html

RIP

Personally I don't care because digital files are cancer, but an even bigger cancer to music is streaming ...
    I hope the younger generations will grow an appreciation for physical media ... if not then art is doomed.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Good riddance
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Streaming is awesome. I have a free Spotify subscription included on my calls/text/data offer through Vodafone, and it's really nice being able to listen to whatever I want whenever I want.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Streaming is awesome. I have a free Spotify subscription included on my calls/text/data offer through Vodafone, and it's really nice being able to listen to whatever I want whenever I want.

No, it's not.
    Streaming allows corporations to create a monopoly over music consumption.
    Also, it devalues music and reduces it to an immediate and disposable commodity.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 No, it's not.
    Streaming allows corporations to create a monopoly over music consumption.
    Also, it devalues music and reduces it to an immediate and disposable commodity.

Yeah well enjoy your vinyls. I'll be streaming whatever the fuck I want over here (beside RaHoWa, Moonman and Xurious).
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Yeah well enjoy your vinyls. I'll be streaming whatever the fuck I want over here (beside RaHoWa, Moonman and Xurious).

Streaming is alright if you want to link a song to your friend but as a replacement for an actual music library? HELL NO.
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    I'm a big fan of 'pay what you want' artists. It seems to be surprisingly profitable
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0

Cute cat.
    Anyway I have like 200 GB in music, and it's a mess. It's too big to bring with me, and it's also too big to scroll through and the organisation is a mess. If I sat down to organise it all it'd take me like a month.

Streaming is just simpler for me right now. Really pirates should organise some sort of Spotify style pirate bay, but there is no specific reason to do so besides antisemitism.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Anyway I have like 200 GB in music, and it's a mess. It's too big to bring with me, and it's also too big to scroll through and the organisation is a mess. If I sat down to organise it all it'd take me like a month.

Streaming is just simpler for me right now. Really pirates should organise some sort of Spotify style pirate bay, but there is no specific reason to do so besides antisemitism.

Download foobar2000, go to discogs ... 200gb is tiny, it should only take you a 30 minutes to an hour.
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 200gb is tiny, it should only take you a 30 minutes to an hour.

Yeah right jackass. It takes something like half an hour just to transfer 200gb of music from one mechanical hdd to another in the only machine I have mechanical hard drives in, which is in the old house.

At least this is how things are in my version of reality. Dunno about how time flows in yours.
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Anyway I have like 200 GB in music

I have a ton of music... I don't eve think I could listen to it al at this point but i don't wanna delete. I'll get to Mahler at some point.

+1 for f2k tho
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Nil I have a ton of music… I don't eve think I could listen to it al at this point

I remember I added it all on Rhythmbox (which didn't play nicely with it all) and it gave something silly as a play time. Like a year + so many days to play it all, or 5 years, or some bullshit. Not even worth worrying about since it'll never happen.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Yeah right jackass. It takes something like half an hour just to transfer 200gb of music from one mechanical hdd to another in the only machine I have mechanical hard drives in, which is in the old house.

At least this is how things are in my version of reality. Dunno about how time flows in yours.

I used to be a digital plebeian like yourself with over 100 thousand songs on my 24tb NAS.
    I could organize half of that in a couple days.
    You're just slow/retarded.
    Originally posted by HikikomoriYume0 I used to be a digital plebeian like yourself with over 100 thousand songs on my 24tb NAS.
    I could organize half of that in a couple days.
    You're just slow/retarded.

Wow.

This post fills me with both wonder and fear.

I will retreat under my desk now.

Here be dragons.

Penniless dragons - who rely on their moms to buy them new computers - instead of the other way around - but dragons all the same.
    hydromorphone victim of incest [insincerely conduce my paisley]
    I enjoyed getting 10 cent 72 vinyl records from the thrift stores around me and playing them. I loved the art on the covers. I loved some of the little bonus stuff too included on some. It was cool. I had over 500 records. I had shit from Led Zeppelin, as/DC,journey, Fleetwood Mac,judas priest, black Sabbath,twisted sister, B.O.C.,Yes, Molly Hatchet, Iron Maiden, oh god theres too much to name... I had a ton of good shit though that I paid pennies for literally.

However, digital files are so much easier. They're far more portable, you can store more, they're on demand most the time...

I can appreciate bothb but in my situation I have to be logical and go digital. I miss my collection though. Wonder who has an 8-track collection lol thatd be funny. I'm sure there are out there... More power but damn.. That'd be a bitch I'd imagine. It also isn't as cool as the cover art on old 72 vinyl records.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Wow.

This post fills me with both wonder and fear.

I will retreat under my desk now.

Here be dragons.

Penniless dragons - who rely on their moms to buy them new computers - instead of the other way around - but dragons all the same.

It's called not being slow as your 90 year old grandma
    Originally posted by hydromorphone I enjoyed getting 10 cent 72 vinyl records from the thrift stores around me and playing them. I loved the art on the covers. I loved some of the little bonus stuff too included on some. It was cool. I had over 500 records. I had shit from Led Zeppelin, as/DC,journey, Fleetwood Mac,judas priest, black Sabbath,twisted sister, B.O.C.,Yes, Molly Hatchet, Iron Maiden, oh god theres too much to name… I had a ton of good shit though that I paid pennies for literally.

However, digital files are so much easier. They're far more portable, you can store more, they're on demand most the time…

I can appreciate bothb but in my situation I have to be logical and go digital. I miss my collection though. Wonder who has an 8-track collection lol thatd be funny. I'm sure there are out there… More power but damn.. That'd be a bitch I'd imagine. It also isn't as cool as the cover art on old 72 vinyl records.

Nothing can ever compare to physical.
    Going to a record store, browsing through all the albums, seeing other people there who are as enthusiastic about your hobby as you are, having conversations with people in the flesh ... taking the albums home and unpackaging them, the smells, the booklet, the ritual of inserting the cd or placing the record on the turntable ...
    Not to mention that when you have to go through all that or order online it feels so much more special when you actually get to listen to the album.
    With digital it's press play it's over that's it repeat x1,000,000.
    When you have unlimited access to music it no longer feels special.
    When I was a piratefag I downloaded so much music and listened to so much that I became anhedonic towards music.
    I completely lost interest in listening to anything, same thing happened with video games.
Jump to Top