User Controls

Anyone installed ethernet throughout their house? Give me tips

filtration African Astronaut
    This post has been edited by a bot I made to preserve my privacy.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Drywall?

If you can get above ( attic ) or below ( crawlspace, unfinished basement ) where you want the jack ur in luck. What about the brick wall, the interior wall is brick?
    If ur unfortunate, they built the wall with horizontal bracing or firestops like this

so that if you want your data outlets down low like by the floor like the power receptacles probably are, and you are bringing your cabling from above, gotta find a way to get it past.

these are like 6 feet long
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I've been renting, can't drill shit so I just run cable almost at the ceiling using those sticky plastic cable hooks
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    maybe look into some fishtape
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    IDK what it's called in English, but you can buy some type of small rail for in-home use, it can retain cables quite nicely.
    Originally posted by Sophie IDK what it's called in English, but you can buy some type of small rail for in-home use, it can retain cables quite nicely.

surface-mounted raceway, often called by a popular brand, wire-mold
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    but i don't like conduit, its not cleean
    Originally posted by A College Professor surface-mounted raceway, often called by a popular brand, wire-mold

Yes those.
    Grylls Cum Looking Faggot [abrade this vocal tread-softly]
    it’s called trunking but it looks shit unless you paint over it or something
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Got an Ethernet over powerline set to get the internet downstairs from the attic, not ideal but it does work for household distances at least.

In the future probably just upgrade the wireless, can’t really justify digging at the walls
    go wireless.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny go wireless.

seems the obvious solution...
    There's an advantage to using Ethernet as opposed to WiFi. Especially when you want to port scan the entire internet and still have time for dinner using wires is great.

Also, if everything is wired you effectively reduce a potential adversary's attack surface.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Do what they do in the South. Run the cable out the window, along the shrubbery, and back inside the window in the next room.
    ethernet is superior to wireless in every way if you're linking up fixed devices
    Originally posted by aldra ethernet is superior to wireless in every way if you're linking up fixed devices

when's the last time you maxed out your ethernet's bandwidth ?
    at home? usually just transferring movies to/from the NAS

not like I have enough machines hooked up to have to worry about priority, backplanes and shit like that
    filtration African Astronaut
    This post has been edited by a bot I made to preserve my privacy.
    Originally posted by aldra at home? usually just transferring movies to/from the NAS

not like I have enough machines hooked up to have to worry about priority, backplanes and shit like that

those things can wait.

Originally posted by filtration Wireless is a no go, I have multiple switches with multiple servers and nases, and wifi won't even get like 60mbps prolly, I need the full gig lan network

what are you running at home ?

dark market ?
Jump to Top