User Controls

Ghetto Tracker"...

Tesla Coil Tuskegee Airman
    Is now called "Good part of Town"

An Application to keep drivers and tourist out of bad side of town

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ghetto-tracker_n_3869051

In less than 24 hours, a new app tactfully titled Ghetto Tracker—a service seeking to help people identify safe areas in unfamiliar cities—has already garnered enough backlash to prompt an immediate name change to Good Part of Town.

However, the PR move may not do much to alter the public’s reception of the app, which critics are slamming as a racist, classist app for helping the rich to avoid the poor.

The app functions by allowing locals to rate the safety of different parts of a given area. According to The Week, the original launch of the page featured a white family of four smiling alongside the app’s promise to show users “which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe.”

In addition to the name change, all mention of the word “ghetto” has been removed from the site. The site now features an ethnically diverse family on its homepage.

In an email sent to Gawker, the app’s team said it changed the name in response to emails from a woman whose family had been contained in an actual World War II ghetto and one from a man who grew up in a struggling area and went on to graduate from college and overcome his upbringing.

“I can’t be held responsible for the assumptions people may make in regards to factors like race and income,” the letter to Gawker continued. “I’ve seen comments on blogs and in twitter that are trying to say this is encouraging racism or social stratification and that was never our intention.”

But critics have pointed out the app’s adverse effects on the community, regardless of the app’s intentions.

“It’s pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that poor or crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed,” David Holmes wrote on PandoDaily. “As if to assume that every person who lives in an area with comparatively high crime or poverty is a criminal, or that these areas are devoid of culture or positivity.”

HuffPost
    https://hoodmaps.com/oakland
    Thotgirl African Astronaut
    Thats it i became retarded hur de dur
    it should be called the green book for whities.
    Thotgirl African Astronaut
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny it should be called the green book for whities.

Or how to travel to a city and not get your shit stolen by underprivileged people.
    Originally posted by Thotgirl Thats it i became retarded hur de dur

I didn't invent it. unless you're directing it to the company that is linked with it.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny it should be called the green book for whities.

What is a green book for?

Originally posted by Thotgirl Or how to travel to a city and not get your shit stolen by underprivileged people.

It comes up "Racist Map" or "Discrimination Map" and there was another term used.

It always get's directed at PoC not having people of money (which they usually point at Caucasians when Asians and Middle Easterns also have tons of money and fear of neighborhoods known for crime) ..of money -Edit- NOT being-Unedit- spent in their neighborhoods by utilizing these trend in maps.

There is some weird troll humor like "where pregnant hipsters live" or "Got my shit stolen here" or "Suits gonna suit"(square old money types or bankers)

it attacks all types, really.. or stereotypes hipster (mostly hipsters are made fun of it seems.. is that bad?)
    Archer513 African Astronaut
    All you have to do is look up Martin Luther king drive in any city

And stay away from that part of the city

No app needed
    Sancho Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by Tesla Coil Is now called "Good part of Town"

An Application to keep drivers and tourist out of bad side of town

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ghetto-tracker_n_3869051

In less than 24 hours, a new app tactfully titled Ghetto Tracker—a service seeking to help people identify safe areas in unfamiliar cities—has already garnered enough backlash to prompt an immediate name change to Good Part of Town.

However, the PR move may not do much to alter the public’s reception of the app, which critics are slamming as a racist, classist app for helping the rich to avoid the poor.

The app functions by allowing locals to rate the safety of different parts of a given area. According to The Week, the original launch of the page featured a white family of four smiling alongside the app’s promise to show users “which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe.”

In addition to the name change, all mention of the word “ghetto” has been removed from the site. The site now features an ethnically diverse family on its homepage.

In an email sent to Gawker, the app’s team said it changed the name in response to emails from a woman whose family had been contained in an actual World War II ghetto and one from a man who grew up in a struggling area and went on to graduate from college and overcome his upbringing.

“I can’t be held responsible for the assumptions people may make in regards to factors like race and income,” the letter to Gawker continued. “I’ve seen comments on blogs and in twitter that are trying to say this is encouraging racism or social stratification and that was never our intention.”

But critics have pointed out the app’s adverse effects on the community, regardless of the app’s intentions.

“It’s pretty detrimental to society when we reinforce the idea that poor or crime-heavy areas are places to be categorically avoided or shamed,” David Holmes wrote on PandoDaily. “As if to assume that every person who lives in an area with comparatively high crime or poverty is a criminal, or that these areas are devoid of culture or positivity.”

HuffPost

Have them contact SANCHO for more information 👍
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Tesla Coil What is a green book for?

for negrows.
    CandyRein Black Hole
    Originally posted by Sancho Have them contact SANCHO for more information 👍

Lmfao 😋
    Originally posted by Archer513 All you have to do is look up Martin Luther king drive in any city

And stay away from that part of the city

No app needed

The one in Berkeley isn't bad. the one in Oakland or Emeryville isn't that bad.

Market street seems to be a different story
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
Jump to Top