User Controls

4x Games

I don't know much about these, but I heard they take quite a while to learn how to play. Is it mainly just decision making and shit, or is there some action in them too? If it's just resource management and turn based fighting where you don't like control any units or anything then it's not really for me.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Like what games? I play a lot of Civilization and some Stelaris and the main thing comes down to outsmarting the AI in combat with how you move and use different units together.
    HTS highlight reel
    Stellaris is real-time with pausing, but the combat isn't exactly thrilling. With all the expansions and DLCs it's got some neat little storylines and events that can alter the course of a game, and some really cool features and civilization types, but resource management is definitely a major feature. It's also got a fairly obtuse, unintuitive UI and every time the developer updates the game its mechanics are liable to change so drastically that you basically need to relearn everything.

All that said, if you can push through the learning curve it's a pretty amazing and rewarding - if long-format - experience. I wasted like 12 hours last night on a game that ended up with my civ being demolished by some pissed off nanites.
    Yeah, thinking more like warhmamer/starcraft/DOTA type stuff. I think starcraft is 4x isn't it?
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    You're thinking more about RTS's than 4x, 4x is like Civ games.

Sins of a solar empire has 4x and rts elements and is pretty good.

Also dota is the shit but not 4x. I spend way too much time playing ad.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    4x games are just a race to see who can get biggest the fastest.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by DietYellow I don't know much about these, but I heard they take quite a while to learn how to play. Is it mainly just decision making and shit, or is there some action in them too? If it's just resource management and turn based fighting where you don't like control any units or anything then it's not really for me.

Try Sins of a Solar Empire, I think you'd like that. Most 4x games are turn-based so much more strategic than tactical, SOASE is real-time though.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 4x games are just a race to see who can get biggest the fastest.

>not playing tall
Jump to Top