User Controls

City of Baltimore got ransomeware..

Erekshun Naturally Camouflaged
    Which one of you niggas did this and why only ask for 70K?
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    70k is pretty reasonable. It doesn't take that many man-hours to write a ransomware. You don't even have to write decrypting routines, this cuts cost because now all you need is a way to distribute, so C2 infrastructure can go out of the window. Just say they will definitely get their data back if they give the money. Pinky promise, cross my heart hope to die.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Also say, you don't have any interest in the distributing process, you can just have a hacked server host your binary and/or exploits. Then sub-contract spammers, it's really not a lot of money for 1 million spam emails with a link to your malware.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    I'm guessing they got caught because of outdated equipment.

I'm shocked how many big organisation don't have offline backups tho, and are happy with that fact.
    Narc Space Nigga [connect my yokel-like scolytidae]
    70 grand is likely to get paid. People that ask for millions and shit are fucking dreaming and are just gonna get themselves hunted down with way more scrutiny.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    Originally posted by Narc 70 grand is likely to get paid. People that ask for millions and shit are fucking dreaming and are just gonna get themselves hunted down with way more scrutiny.

That logic doesn't apply with a bureaucracy.
    It apllies with everyone. A million isn't pocket change.

Originally posted by Narc 70 grand is likely to get paid. People that ask for millions and shit are fucking dreaming and are just gonna get themselves hunted down with way more scrutiny.

cops dont stop investigating because a crime involved less than $70,001.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny cops dont stop investigating because a crime involved less than $70,001.

Who said they did?

Well yes and no. If you target a big organization's mission critical infrastructure you can get away with asking for a lot, since it's likely cheaper to pay the ransom than risk being non-operational for God knows how many days.
    Originally posted by Sophie Well yes and no. If you target a big organization's mission critical infrastructure you can get away with asking for a lot, since it's likely cheaper to pay the ransom than risk being non-operational for God knows how many days.

But don't you have more chance of running into the whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" mentality? Especially once law enforcement gets involved.
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country But don't you have more chance of running into the whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" mentality? Especially once law enforcement gets involved.

No. The bottom line is always the most important for any business. The FBI actually advises to pay the ransom.
    The other problem with a large ransom is you'll get all sorts of nerds and shit offering to fix the problem a lot cheaper. The city is likely to at least try the cheaper option first. But if you keep your demand reasonable then you'll likely be assured a nice quick payday.

While were on this. What steps would you take to ensure the btc wasn't somehow traced to you. I mean I know tumbling the coin, splitting it up, tumbling again, the again and again and again. Then prolly again just to be sure. But what else could you do?

Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    Originally posted by Narc While were on this. What steps would you take to ensure the btc wasn't somehow traced to you. I mean I know tumbling the coin, splitting it up, tumbling again, the again and again and again. Then prolly again just to be sure. But what else could you do?

Ask for XMR?
    Originally posted by Nil Ask for XMR?

Well yeah monero would be my choice. But still you'd wanna be absolutely careful. Just interested exactly what peoples thoughts were on the exact steps. To help me cash up this 70 grand I just got like.

Originally posted by Narc The other problem with a large ransom is you'll get all sorts of nerds and shit offering to fix the problem a lot cheaper.

One does not fix AES-256.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    A ransomware attack has struck the Baltimore city government computer network.

On Twitter, Baltimore Mayor Bernard Young said the city has shut down most of its servers due to the infection, but critical services, including EMS, police, fire, and 311, are still operational.

"City employees are working diligently to determine the source and extent of the infection," Young wrote. "At this time, we have seen no evidence that any personal data has left the system."

Meanwhile, the Baltimore Department of Public Works (DPW) tweeted that email service and phone lines to customer support are also down.

"For now we're unable to take calls to discuss water billing issues," the Baltimore DPW wrote. The government office has consequently suspended late water bill fees for city and county customers.

"Employees of the City's Finance Department are … telling people that, due to the network outage, they can't conduct business or pay bills today with cash," the Baltimore DPW added.

This is the second ransomware attack to hit Baltimore city systems in a little over a year. In March 2018, ransomware struck the city's 911 dispatch system, but Baltimore's IT office managed to isolate the threat and avoid a disruption of critical services.

Ransomware encrypts a computer's data and threatens to delete it unless the victim pays up.
    Erekshun Naturally Camouflaged
    That's what I said.
    Originally posted by Sophie One does not fix AES-256.

Doesn't stop people claiming they can for the right price tho.

If you wanted to be real sneaky then ransom up the city asking for a million, then come forward as just some random nerd offering to fix the problem for 50k. Get the money and hero status when you magically find a way to fix their problem.

Jump to Top