User Controls

ID'S HAPPENING! RECESSION IN CHINER

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]

This is what happens when you have > 10% economic growth for > 10 years

China has been growing for the last 50 years or so, though in fairness from a fairly low base (literal starvation level) thanks to Mao's Cultural Revolution.

Look at the economic history of the United States. Severe recessions/"corrections" are part and parcel of economic development, and China is way overdue for one.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    The saying around here used to be "America catches the cold, the rest of the world catches the flu". Right now I suspect it's more like "China catches the cold, the rest of the world catches the flu". China is where everything comes from. It's the main investor in the world - we used to have rich Americans buying up property, then rich Japanese, now we have rich Chinese.
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    "in china everything is opaque you can't trust the government.. banks... etc"

@10 mins

Says this like we can trust our governments and banks?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    I'm gonna watch that but I'm gonna guess it's not including the variable that chinks will literally build sandbars in other countries oceanic territory if they run out of room. They will bulldoze minorities at a level that would make Stalin blush. The Buddhists uighars and han have no property rights and can have their land basically seized if the highest bigger pays more than they can scrape together in the run of a month

But yes, a city with 20million people is going to have an inflated market
    Originally posted by Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Look at the economic history of the United States. Severe recessions/"corrections" are part and parcel of economic development, and China is way overdue for one.

not really.

every recessions and "corrections" that happened in the US was engineered to brought about a desired change such as the establishment of federal reserve.
    Originally posted by Sudo I'm gonna watch that but I'm gonna guess it's not including the variable that chinks will literally build sandbars in other countries oceanic territory if they run out of room. They will bulldoze minorities at a level that would make Stalin blush. The Buddhists uighars and han have no property rights and can have their land basically seized if the highest bigger pays more than they can scrape together in the run of a month

But yes, a city with 20million people is going to have an inflated market

arent uighurs by default mooseleems ?
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny arent uighurs by default mooseleems ?

Well it's a sub type that typically is yes and they're being divided and forcefully assimilated
    Originally posted by Sudo Well it's a sub type that typically is yes and they're being divided and forcefully assimilated

cant blame china.

because without forcible assimilation their eventually going to secede.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny cant blame china.

because without forcible assimilation their eventually going to secede.

They're going to try to form an autonomous state? How well will that turn out? Taiwan is basically walking on eggshells
    Tarriffs
    Originally posted by Sudo They're going to try to form an autonomous state? How well will that turn out? Taiwan is basically walking on eggshells

taiwan is a different story.

in a sense, communist china was the one that seceded and whats left of the old china is taiwan.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Nil "in china everything is opaque you can't trust the government.. banks… etc"

@10 mins

Says this like we can trust our governments and banks?

That's probably the main fault with this video; virtually everything he implies is a uniquely Chinese problem is endemic everywhere.

We (Australia) have a similar problem with a housing/real estate bubble, the difference being that instead of trying to counter or fix it, our government is desperately trying to find ways to feed it, housing affordability be damned
    Originally posted by aldra That's probably the main fault with this video; virtually everything he implies is a uniquely Chinese problem is endemic everywhere.

We (Australia) have a similar problem with a housing/real estate bubble, the difference being that instead of trying to counter or fix it, our government is desperately trying to find ways to feed it, housing affordability be damned

Australia is unique in the regard that the only places anybody gets houses are along the coast and IIRC predominantly in nsw or Victoria. There are two territories that are irrelevant out of 5 (western aus, which only has perth and tazmania) and I don't remember the last one.

I know someone whose an economist in Australia who works predominantly with the urban housing market and I believe sees Australia as a kind of guinea pig for neo liberal policy. Could be a lot worse. Aus is just going to get more inflated as foreign investment trickles in even though they have some kinda clever and dickish policies to keep it out
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Sudo Australia is unique in the regard that the only places anybody gets houses are along the coast and IIRC predominantly in nsw or Victoria. There are two territories that are irrelevant out of 5 (western aus, which only has perth and tazmania) and I don't remember the last one.

that's not so much a peculiarity of the housing market as it is just weird population distribution and poor planning. All major cities are rising in terms of price/cost of living, but yeah Sydney and Melbourne are by far the worst.

I know someone whose an economist in Australia who works predominantly with the urban housing market and I believe sees Australia as a kind of guinea pig for neo liberal policy.

yeah that's pretty accurate

Could be a lot worse. Aus is just going to get more inflated as foreign investment trickles in even though they have some kinda clever and dickish policies to keep it out

It will get a lot worse because the situation is significantly more complicated than that. It basically boils down to policy being dictated to benefit people who already own 'investment properties' because the bulk of the Australian economy comes from FIRE and education (lol) and relies on constant growth in those sectors.

What that means in practice is that the government constantly works to boost real estate prices and property values, and they already have to the point where in many areas there aren't enough domestic buyers with the capital to keep the market afloat. As a result, Australia NEEDS foreign buyers (largely Chinese) to keep the bubble from bursting, but at the same time wants to prevent (or at least wants to appear to prevent) large swathes of the country being sold off to foreign interests.

It's absolutely not sustainable and comes from the same place many of these problems do - the government prioritising economic growth over quantifiable benefits to its people.
    Originally posted by aldra that's not so much a peculiarity of the housing market as it is just weird population distribution and poor planning. All major cities are rising in terms of price/cost of living, but yeah Sydney and Melbourne are by far the worst.

yeah that's pretty accurate

It will get a lot worse because the situation is significantly more complicated than that. It basically boils down to policy being dictated to benefit people who already own 'investment properties' because the bulk of the Australian economy comes from FIRE and education (lol) and relies on constant growth in those sectors.

What that means in practice is that the government constantly works to boost real estate prices and property values, and they already have to the point where in many areas there aren't enough domestic buyers with the capital to keep the market afloat. As a result, Australia NEEDS foreign buyers (largely Chinese) to keep the bubble from bursting, but at the same time wants to prevent (or at least wants to appear to prevent) large swathes of the country being sold off to foreign interests.

It's absolutely not sustainable and comes from the same place many of these problems do - the government prioritising economic growth over quantifiable benefits to its people.

I remember reading a few months ago about a few things Australia was doing "right" but I can't remember any. Maybe one was keeping kiwis with dated criminal records from obtaining property. Aus has demographic problems like you said and should have currency controls to prevent capital flight. Chinese are so tricky though and it's so hard to ensure permanent resident status for obtaining property.

Is there any justification for the pegging of the Australian dollar? Does the monarchy have a ton of it in reserve or something? It's basically always pegged with the Canadian dollar and imports so much of its shit. It seems in itself really inflated to me esp considering just about every raw material needed for investment besides fucking coal has to be imported.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    im saving up for a jackhammer and im going to make a ossum cave in coober pedy
    Originally posted by aldra the government prioritising economic growth over quantifiable benefits to its people.

arsetralia was never established for the benefits of its people. thats the arsetralian spirit.
Jump to Top