User Controls

The Underemployment Thread

My friend has a masters degree in sociology but now works at taco bell.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Octavian motherfucker
    Originally posted by -Dumpster Slut- My friend has a masters degree in sociology but now works at taco bell.

Ghost Black Hole
    I did shipping receiving and drove a forklift for 6 years but the only work I can find is manual labor. Folks, being a youth isn't easy.
    Erekshun Naturally Camouflaged
    And deep in debt I bet

So stupid
    Originally posted by -Dumpster Slut- My friend has a masters degree in sociology but now works at taco bell.

Sociology...lololol
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    I bet he's trying to form a union there lol
    What idiot spends their time on money on such a useless subject...your friend I guess.
    Helladamnleet African Astronaut [impartially tyrannize that lentinus]

Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson What idiot spends their time on money on such a useless subject…your friend I guess.

I actually googled it and apparently there really are jobs that a sociology degree would help with. Stupid shit like guidance counselor, but still.
    Originally posted by Helladamnleet I actually googled it and apparently there really are jobs that a sociology degree would help with. Stupid shit like guidance counselor, but still.

Yea, go $80,000 in debt to be a high school guidance counselor. I HATED school, never went to college and I do quite well. College is a scam for the most part.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    You won't get anything with just a sociology degree, you'll need something else on top of that.
    Admin African Astronaut
    I cheated my way through high school. Now I work at a call center. Derp derp.
    Originally posted by Erekshun Yea, go $80,000 in debt to be a high school guidance counselor. I HATED school, never went to college and I do quite well. College is a scam for the most part.

$80,000 is a gross exageration, but yes, college is a scam. Back when it was a way to show you went the extra mile for the experience needed it was worth it, but now it's considered standard so a degree is pointless in a round aboot way.
    Originally posted by Helladamnleet $80,000 is a gross exageration, but yes, college is a scam. Back when it was a way to show you went the extra mile for the experience needed it was worth it, but now it's considered standard so a degree is pointless in a round aboot way.

Fuck, I know first hand! I can't tell you how many "engineers" I have come across who don't have a clue.
    Common De-mominator African Astronaut
    Sounds like he did a shit job at building his résumé.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Helladamnleet $80,000 is a gross exageration

For a 4 year degree? Not really. I just checked out a couple state universities and yearly tuition + yearbooks etc was running like $17000 for in-state, commuter students and closer to $25000 if you're out of state and/or want to live on campus.

You're definitely looking at $80000 in debt give or take ten grand for a 4 year degree at any state university. :|
    Common De-mominator African Astronaut
    Originally posted by HTS For a 4 year degree? Not really. I just checked out a couple state universities and yearly tuition + yearbooks etc was running like $17000 for in-state, commuter students and closer to $25000 if you're out of state and/or want to live on campus.

You're definitely looking at $80000 in debt give or take ten grand for a 4 year degree at any state university. :|

There's no way that isn't including living costs etc.
    Bueno motherfucker

theres no better way of experiencing sociology than working the till at a fastfood joint.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Erekshun Fuck, I know first hand! I can't tell you how many "engineers" I have come across who don't have a clue.

People look at college and think they're going to walk out the door with 6 months job experience, when in reality the position they really want takes a decade or more of dedicated work slowly moving up the ladder.

Imagine FAFSA being taken away and all of us just getting a $2 raise
    Admin African Astronaut
    I think it largely depends on grants and rich parents.
Jump to Top