User Controls

Smoking a cigar in the dugout

blaster master victim of incest
    Comptia A+ lolol what a waste of fucking time and money.
    Originally posted by blaster master You think so? Please inform me! I'm glad I made this post, I've read your other posts and you seem smart, so I'll consider your opinion.

I did it 20yrs ago, it was a joke back then...

"errr this is how you put a stick of memory in a PC"

Compaq sent me on a 1 week crash course to do it and I believe back then it was about $1500 or so (Compaq paid)...I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

The test itself was 2 parts, practical (putting a fucking DIMM in and troubleshooting why a hard drive wasn't working...the fucking IDE cable was unplugged)...which took about 10 mins, the 2nd part was multiple choice and after about 17 questions it quit and basically said "alright you know your shit, you passed".

Since then the little certificate and business card sized thing has sat gathering dust.

I get some jobs "require" it but it's just another example of PAYING for a piece of paper for the sake of it...$1500 for something any idiot who has a PC already knows. On top of that it lasts forever...the shit I "LEARNED" on that course 20yrs ago isn't even relevant these days but technically I'm A+ certified! wooooo.

Did Networking+ too and that was equally a waste of time & $$.

If I'd have paid for it myself I'd have been pissed.
    Originally posted by blaster master I basically have zero experience with this kind of stuff, so I was thinking Comptia A+ would be a good place to start.

How do you feel about CCNA?

Yes don't be put off by me...I'm generally a miserable fellow and scoff at formal "education".

If what you want to do requires A+ then go ahead, just don't expect it to be very in-depth...it's really a basic level thing.

Personally if I knew what a joke the course was and if I was paying for it myself I'd have just done the test (not sure if they allow you to do that though). I know back then they had A+ books you could buy and learn yourself..I want to say the test itself back then was about $200...but again they might not let you just do the test.

Didn't do CCNA but expect it's more of the same.
    Originally posted by blaster master Jigga, do you work in IT?

No, I used to back then though when I did it...back then it was worthless too, as I recall it was a "requirement" Compaq had for the job position (which I already had...). They sent me on all kinds of bullshit courses/classes that cost them thousands...and then built shitty computers using defective parts...no wonder they are not around anymore.

The waste was unbelievable. I worked in the returns department and we literally trashed hundreds of laptops everyday for stupid shit like the serial number missing etc. Compaq were also trying to roll out "config to order" to compete with Dell but didn't know or have a system for processing the returns.

Part of my job at the time was processing warranty returns and if 1 little thing was missing (aka the serial number) or it was a CTO (config to order) unit the thing went in a big "E" Container which was then sold to a 3rd party company by weight and for pennies.

Back then a laptop was $2k-3K...an E container could hold about 50 or 60 of them...think about that $$$...the E container was sold for $400-$600 each and half the laptops in it were fine or only minor problems but couldn't be processed in the system for stupid reason (like missing serial number).

I took it upon myself one month to "fix" some...instead of putting them in the E container I fixed a few that couldn't be processed by creating new serial numbers/part number etc...just doing that here and there for a month I keyed $69,000+ back into Compaq inventory which otherwise would be lost in the E container.

I took this info to my boss at the end of the month and said "look at this just for a couple of hours work, you could hire someone full time to do just this and they would pay for their whole yearly salary in less than a week".

He said "good job" and that was the last I heard of it, we continued to throw literally millions of dollars away unit HP bought us...and then outsourced to Foxconn and laid us all off a year later.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by blaster master I basically have zero experience with this kind of stuff, so I was thinking Comptia A+ would be a good place to start.

How do you feel about CCNA?

CCNA is worthwhile if you want to get into networking/sysadmin work, but it won't get you a job by itself. you'd be best off getting a helpdesk job or similar and then getting the CCNA to progress.

CCIE can, but it's a lot more difficult and more expensive
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson No, I used to back then though when I did it…back then it was worthless too, as I recall it was a "requirement" Compaq had for the job position (which I already had…). They sent me on all kinds of bullshit courses/classes that cost them thousands…and then built shitty computers using defective parts…no wonder they are not around anymore.

The waste was unbelievable. I worked in the returns department and we literally trashed hundreds of laptops everyday for stupid shit like the serial number missing etc. Compaq were also trying to roll out "config to order" to compete with Dell but didn't know or have a system for processing the returns.

Part of my job at the time was processing warranty returns and if 1 little thing was missing (aka the serial number) or it was a CTO (config to order) unit the thing went in a big "E" Container which was then sold to a 3rd party company by weight and for pennies.

Back then a laptop was $2k-3K…an E container could hold about 50 or 60 of them…think about that $$$…the E container was sold for $400-$600 each and half the laptops in it were fine or only minor problems but couldn't be processed in the system for stupid reason (like missing serial number).

I took it upon myself one month to "fix" some…instead of putting them in the E container I fixed a few that couldn't be processed by creating new serial numbers/part number etc…just doing that here and there for a month I keyed $69,000+ back into Compaq inventory which otherwise would be lost in the E container.

I took this info to my boss at the end of the month and said "look at this just for a couple of hours work, you could hire someone full time to do just this and they would pay for their whole yearly salary in less than a week".

He said "good job" and that was the last I heard of it, we continued to throw literally millions of dollars away unit HP bought us…and then outsourced to Foxconn and laid us all off a year later.

thats because your boss was paid / bought by those who process the E containers. or might even had a share in that company himself.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny thats because your boss was paid / bought by those who process the E containers. or might even had a share in that company himself.

No doubt.
    HTS highlight reel
    If I were a Freudian this thread would make you look PRETTY GAY.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by HTS If I were a Freudian this thread would make you look PRETTY GAY.

yeah but if you were a freudian you'd have more significant problems than that
    Originally posted by HTS If I were a Freudian this thread would make you look PRETTY GAY.

if you were zikzek ?

More homosexual intrigue please boss.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    lolol
    I'd value being a welder more than anything in IT...everyone and his dog is into "IT" these days, they are 10 a penny.
Jump to Top