User Controls

using second computer as rendering machine for video editing software

Phantasmagoria African Astronaut
    Are there any programs that can do this?

Lets say I edited a video on my iMac, could I send the video to another machine to render so the iMac wouldn't have to do all the processing on its own
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Not a bad idea... You've got me thinking now of ways to outsource heavy duty computing needs...

Maybe some way via a cloud-based service...? AWS offers GPU rental (you pay for how much data you process).

But processing a multi-terrabyte video file would require a huge upload, and re-download once complete, of your file.

I suppose you could have a local machine with network access to the file, and just send it batch processing commands via SSH.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Sure, i'm using Boxes for Ubuntu at the moment. It's open source, does VM and remote administration. The neat thing is that you can also transfer files with it.
    billfred Yung Blood
    The problem is: bandwidth and LAN speed. You're going to essentially stream a video over to another computer and have it render it? Pretty shit idea, really.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Render farms are a thing though, I don't think offloading work to a remote system is anything close to new. Like yeah, bandwidth is a limited resource but you can do things like b-diffing to make it more tenable in an editing workflow. It's very common in "scientific computing" contexts where you tend to make many edits to a pipeline but always run it on the same data. You can store the data remotely and just transmit your series of code code changes which is quite inexpensive relative to the benefit of having more compute in some other environment.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Dark Matter [my scoffingly uncritical tinning]
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/beowulf-clusters-node-visualisation-pi-vizuwall/

Seen this on slashdot. It's a beowulf cluster of raspberry pis, and each is hinged so they wave around depending on load.

I didn't even know beowulf clusters were still a thing.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Phantasmagoria African Astronaut
    I found a work around to this

Sony has a video editing program that is both on Mac and Windows, so I'll edit the video on my mac then render it with my windows laptop.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Phantasmagoria I found a work around to this

Sony has a video editing program that is both on Mac and Windows, so I'll edit the video on my mac then render it with my windows laptop.

You mean Sony Vegas?
    just program it yourself faggot
Jump to Top