User Controls

ATTN: Lanny

What do you think of Alan Watts?
    Who African Astronaut [that staidly controlling tamarillo]
    And Peter Ammeter
    And I.P. Freeley
    Who African Astronaut [that staidly controlling tamarillo]
    Don't forget Peter Volt
    Originally posted by DietPiano What do you think of Alan Watts?

low ampereage person.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I'm not a huge fan, at least if I try to treat him as a philosopher rather than just like a write or something. Often when I read Watts I feel like he's mistaken the form of deliberate vagueness for the actual content of the zen tradition. To be fair he has presumably read more primary material than I ever will but like other translators of eastern texts seem to be able to pull a coherent thesis together instead of Watts' kind of metrical writing on and on without ever actually saying anything. Like maybe there's an argument that Watts not actually saying anything is supposed to be an instructive device ala the gateless gate or something but that's really not a very productive mode of writing when transplanted to a different time and culture.

In the end though he's pretty benign. Sometimes I can just be like "alright, let's just not think and listen to some pretty things and listen to a recording of Alan Watts" and it's alright I guess but any time I try to engage with him critically it just grates on me.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Oh lanny. ur ignore but but so crazy like sliced bread. Frickin read all over the page tell me more, shot me me in the face
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Lol u can can see if lanny posting cuz he always dbl post lol
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Not his own but fuck u 😋
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    U edit me so? Lol I can't say it?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    schizophrenia?
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Ur such a lie lol! I hate u for saying that
    DontTellEm Black Hole

Yes I was wrong.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    k
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    Originally posted by Lanny schizophrenia?

Mild retardation?
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    slight
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Lol
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Krow African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Lanny I'm not a huge fan, at least if I try to treat him as a philosopher rather than just like a write or something. Often when I read Watts I feel like he's mistaken the form of deliberate vagueness for the actual content of the zen tradition. To be fair he has presumably read more primary material than I ever will but like other translators of eastern texts seem to be able to pull a coherent thesis together instead of Watts' kind of metrical writing on and on without ever actually saying anything. Like maybe there's an argument that Watts not actually saying anything is supposed to be an instructive device ala the gateless gate or something but that's really not a very productive mode of writing when transplanted to a different time and culture.

In the end though he's pretty benign. Sometimes I can just be like "alright, let's just not think and listen to some pretty things and listen to a recording of Alan Watts" and it's alright I guess but any time I try to engage with him critically it just grates on me.

tl;dr

STOGTFO

Thank you Lord and Master of NIS
Jump to Top