User Controls

Kalashnikov Kamikaze Drone.

I expect terrorists the world over will enjoy these...

The KUB is four feet wide, can fly for 30 minutes at a speed of 80 mph and carries six pounds of explosives, the news release says. That makes it roughly the size of a coffee table that can be guided to explode on a target 40 miles away — the equivalent of a “small, slow and presumably inexpensive cruise missile,”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/02/23/kalashnikov-assault-rifle-changed-world-now-theres-kalashnikov-kamikaze-drone/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.44cad2b05783
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Sounds scary.
    I'm surprised no one has made one of these before..fly it into a Justin Beiber concert or something.
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Wherein lies the surprising bit?
    Originally posted by tee hee hee Wherein lies the surprising bit?

the fact no one has used a (modern) drone to bomb someone/something. It's a terrorists dream item.
    Soyboy V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed African Astronaut [my no haunted nonbeing]
    Someone tried with Venezuela's Moustache in Chief

Also there's lots of liveleak videos of drones being used to drop grenades and mortar shells in Syria on liveleak.
    We'reAllBrownNosers African Astronaut
    ISIS posted pictures of drones hovering over New York. It's only a matter of time. EMP equipped drones would do more damage though.
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson the fact no one has used a (modern) drone to bomb someone/something. It's a terrorists dream item.

uhhh
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/8lc5ak/drone_dropping_a_bomb_on_armored_vehicle/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/abiwn4/isis_drone_bomb_scores_a_direct_hit_and_targets/
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    They're around; the US and israel already use them - israel dropped one (IAI Harop) on a Syrian PANTSIR anti-air unit while it was reloading and bragged about it a few months back... They're termed 'loiter munitions' by countries who want to avoid the 'kamikaze' tag.

The only difference here is that this unit is poised to be much cheaper and won't be subject to US arms control, so we can probably expect countries like Iran and Pakistan to stock up on them.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    oh, fyi that video splices two streams - the first one is archive video footage of a PANTSIR firing missiles, the second is the actual attack on a different PANTSIR that is unloaded and has it's radar deactivated.

the jedis have been trying to use it to show their drones can't be stopped, but amusingly enough I'm pretty sure their suicide drones cost far more than the PANTSIR-S1 they destroyed (the cost of a HAROP doesn't appear to be public)
    as a precaution, NSA had all the sellers, buyers and owners of all drones monitored. childrens toy drones included. all drones sold in the USA had also been planted with a tracking device.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny as a precaution, NSA had all the sellers, buyers and owners of all drones monitored. childrens toy drones included. all drones sold in the USA had also been planted with a tracking device.

Then there's going to be a lot of rogue drone manufacturing. Not really hard to do. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/22/solid-state-airplane-with-no-moving-parts-takes-flight/

Much more stealthy if it has no moving parts. There's still Johnson Nyquist noise, some slight vibration, but it would be much harder to detect. And the targets coordinates could be programmed in beforehand so there's no need for radio signals going to and from it. With a little bit of AI, it can fly out, blow up some targets, and then auto pilot back to its base.

Drones are a huge business and they're just getting more and more popular. Terrorists know they could inflict a massive amount of damage with just a few untraceable drones.
    Firekrochfatty African Astronaut
    I know this might sound really dumb-- or somewhat naive, but doesn't one need a bit more than a, "living in a cave education" on learning how to design maneuver such advanced technology such as a drone? I know, I know I'm implying "all" towel heads are stupid. ooppsi.
    Originally posted by We'reAllBrownNosers Then there's going to be a lot of rogue drone manufacturing. Not really hard to do. https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/22/solid-state-airplane-with-no-moving-parts-takes-flight/

the thing cant even carry enough weight in the form of batteries it needed to travel more than a few blocks.
    Originally posted by Firekrochfatty I know this might sound really dumb– or somewhat naive, but doesn't one need a bit more than a, "living in a cave education" on learning how to design maneuver such advanced technology such as a drone? I know, I know I'm implying "all" towel heads are stupid. ooppsi.

Electronic engineering is a very common major in the middle east and south asia or for people from those places. Computer science too.. Try IRC or yahoo chat science rooms or channels, you'll notice a shit-ton of them. More and more people from there are going to be getting into the drone business, too. A little bit of assembly code and some custom circuits and anyone of these people could easily put together a "Rogue" drone and sell it.

Interestingly, in the biology channels, you'll see a lot of Arabic, farsi, etc.

Most people in the middle east, especially earning a degree in something scientific, usually won't have any interest in terrorism. But it is a possibility and it's becoming increasingly likely ISIS is going to start using drones and AI.

ISIS has a pretty decent recruiting process since some of them were Iraqi intelligence officers.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny the thing cant even carry enough weight in the form of batteries it needed to travel more than a few blocks.
    It's just a proof of concept. Some random hacker could put one together that would probably work a lot better. A lot of the information and technology on high voltage in aeronautics is classified, but if you know where to look you can put together things that are a lot more advanced and efficient than what MIT is demonstrating.

EDIT: also, they admit at least as far as planes are concerned, the efficiency actually goes up quite a bit as you increase the size.

It's not anti-gravity or inertial controlled, but add in a few other simple adjustments and it becomes a heck of a lot more efficient. Part of the reason they're terrified of this technology being publicly known is that it allows anyone, terrorist or not, to travel anywhere extremely fast and without any need for fuel. Meaning as a weapons system it's potentially quite dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Townsend_Brown
    Originally posted by We'reAllBrownNosers It's just a proof of concept. Some random hacker could put one together that would probably work a lot better. A lot of the information and technology on high voltage in aeronautics is classified, but if you know where to look you can put together things that are a lot more advanced and efficient than what MIT is demonstrating.

EDIT: also, they admit at least as far as planes are concerned, the efficiency actually goes up quite a bit as you increase the size.

It's not anti-gravity or inertial controlled, but add in a few other simple adjustments and it becomes a heck of a lot more efficient. Part of the reason they're terrified of this technology being publicly known is that it allows anyone, terrorist or not, to travel anywhere extremely fast and without any need for fuel. Meaning as a weapons system it's potentially quite dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Townsend_Brown

it simply isnt feasible with the kind of technology we have today for it to be useable for anything practical.
    Originally posted by Firekrochfatty I know this might sound really dumb– or somewhat naive, but doesn't one need a bit more than a, "living in a cave education" on learning how to design maneuver such advanced technology such as a drone? I know, I know I'm implying "all" towel heads are stupid. ooppsi.

Most higher dollar drones can fly themselves...GPS and gyroscopes along with some programming keeps the thing flying. All the towelhead need to is watch the onboard camera and then use the up/down/backward/foward/flip/self destruct buttons and levers.
Jump to Top