User Controls

Is stealing catalytic converters a good idea?

Soyboy V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed African Astronaut [my no haunted nonbeing]
    I seldom hear about it anymore, but those things can be worth a few hundred for all the expensive metals like platinum they contain.
    We'reAllBrownNosers African Astronaut
    There was this guy in #totse that claimed to have made around 40,000$ in a night by doing this. Stole about 500 of them from a junk yard he said.

Paladium in the newer ones, more valuable than the older ones with just platinum. Anyway, a bunch of people in there said he was bullshitting cause there's no way you'd get past junk yard dogs and security systems. Who knows. Doing any of that quickly and without making a lot of noise may be an issue. A lot of the newer ones, or all of them, are embedded and not just on the bottom of the car where you can rip them off as easily.

So... who knows. I would imagine if you did it during an especially nasty thunderstorm it could cover up the noise a bit. Or have a fake construction job going nearby with jackhammer to muffle it.

Seems easier to just steal something more valuable, but people don't always do it solely for the profit. Some people just enjoy a clever heist or whatever.

Also I would imagine that'd be one of the first things the junk yard crews would remove.

The dudes name was Infernus in #totse by the way
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top