User Controls

AMOLED theme

Mahmoud Houston
    Just invert Bibliotek pls. White text on black background rather than the other way around.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by Mahmoud Just invert Bibliotek pls. White text on black background rather than the other way around.

Grease/Tamper Monkey.

And I'm not being glib. I saw you mention having some experience with such things at one point.

Modifying CSS, at that point, is as simple as...

var text_elements_for_which_i_want_to_change_font_color = document.getElementsByTagName('p');

for (var i = 0; i < text_elements_for_which_i_want_to_change_font_color.length; i++) {
    text_elements_for_which_i_want_to_change_font_color[i].style.color = 'white';
    text_elements_for_which_i_want_to_change_font_color[i].style.background_color = 'black';
    };

There might be a syntactic flaw or two (I haven't tested it, and JS isn't my go-to language), but I'm sure you get the gist.

And of course you might have to be more specific than selecting all "p" tags. I don't even know if ISS does "p" tags.
    Mahmoud Houston
    Mobile Chrome doesn't support extensions, pretty sure Safari doesn't either on iOS, and I'm asking for an AMOLED theme for mobile. It would be easy on desktop but idc about desktop. I highly doubt anyone is using an AMOLED monitor.

Conversely, most modern mid to high range phones have AMOLED displays that can fully take advantage of black pixels by turning those pixels off. It'll be easier on the eyes because you'll only have a couple of white pixels turning on for text and separators, rather than the entire background being white and raping your eyes.

If Bibliotek is more geared for desktop, this would be more geared for mobile purely by having a black background and white text.
    The only reason I jumped right to a DIY suggestion is that I thought the stylistic changes sounded relatively straightforward.

But to be honest i have no idea.

https://github.com/Lanny/ISS/blob/master/ISS/static-src/src/themes/bibliotek.less

I've actually never even used LESS (definitely heard of it, though... some kind of CSS compilation framework?).
    Mahmoud Houston
    Me neither. I tried to make one by inverting the F values but apparently you have to do other stuff for it to work.
    Originally posted by Mahmoud Me neither. I tried to make one by inverting the F values but apparently you have to do other stuff for it to work.

There's some kind of compilation process that has to be done server side, I believe.

So yeah, Lanny is about the only person in a position to make such a modification.

That is, in a way that's at least feasible for the rest of us to use.

I have no idea how high-priority this particular style change is for you, but, personally, I'm prone to engaging full-force into finding some kind of solution, whether performance optimized or not, to just get the job done.

That is, if it's super important.
    Soyboy V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed African Astronaut [my no haunted nonbeing]
    It's easy enough to fork the ISS project, make changes, and submit them as a pull request.

The main problem I ran into was dealing with the old version dependencies.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed It's easy enough to fork the ISS project, make changes, and submit them as a pull request.

Yeah I was thinking Mahmoud could maybe do that with the themes directory for the bibliotech.lass file or whatever. Maybe a working version stored in the repo in a separate branch would make it easier for Lanny to incorporate.

But it requires learning LASS (maybe worth it... it is on my TODO list... but that's a long list).

Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed The main problem I ran into was dealing with the old version dependencies.

I can't think of a greater bane to any developer's existence, whether hobbyist or professional does not matter.

Troubleshooting version dependencies never becomes truly easy, but you do get better at it over time.

It's gotten to a point where I almost just want to write my own PIP (for python projects), and just never EVER again be willing to work with NPM (there are okay alternatives, like yarn, etc, but it's all still a gigantic clusterfuck of interdependent dependencies... IMPORTING FOR NO FUCKING REASON... LIKE... YOU WANT TO ADD 4 AND 4... YOU DON'T NEED AN ENTIRE CALCULATOR LIBRARY (with like a hundred dependencies of it's own))!!

Fuck, I lost where I was... Oh, yeah, dependencies can be a real bitch.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    fucking fine captain father fucker. Have you jank as theme
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Also LESS is a pretty uncomplicated preprocessor on top of CSS. It's just like CSS with variables, simple compile-time logic, and better syntax for nesting and inheritance. If you understand CSS you're like 20 minutes of reading away from understanding LESS.

Also are there issues procuring old versions of libs? I don't mind updating them except for django because I'm still a little salty about being forced to upgrade to py3 and will accept PRs that update version deps.
    Mahmoud Houston
    Yeeeee my nigga. Also it would be cool if the images were off like Bibkiotek.
    Mahmoud Houston
    Bopum
    Originally posted by Lanny Also are there issues procuring old versions of libs? I don't mind updating them except for django because I'm still a little salty about being forced to upgrade to py3 and will accept PRs that update version deps.

Wait, are you saying you actually prefer python 2?

I'm super curious to know the rationale, and am all ears.

I started with python3 so I don't have that much of a frame of reference for comparing the two.
    Xalaxar666 Houston
    Thank fuck now I only want to kill myself for the normal reasons
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Nil African Astronaut [the overexcited four-footed chanar]
    I asked for this when lan first made bibliotek

Good shit, it's everyrhing I wanted and more.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by gadzooks Wait, are you saying you actually prefer python 2?

I'm super curious to know the rationale, and am all ears.

I started with python3 so I don't have that much of a frame of reference for comparing the two.

Yeah, honestly there really is not much of a difference between 2 and 3, the major thing that did change was the "all strings are unicode" policy. I see the argument for it, I understand that there are use cases where it's better, but it forces the encoding issue when sometimes it never existed to start with. Python 2 treated strings as byte sequences, you could be naive of string encodings if you didn't try to do operations like capitalization which is a whole complex thing that requires understand the semantics of writing systems and stuff. Byte string in, byte stream out, encoding is somebody else's problem. Python 3 took a much "stronger" definition of string to mean code-point sequence so when you're like reading a text file instead of being like "give me the bytes in this file" you have to be like "give me the codepoints in this file under such and such encoding which it's my job to figure out".

It expands the number of things a given python program which uses strings and does IO has to worry about.
    Originally posted by Lanny Yeah, honestly there really is not much of a difference between 2 and 3, the major thing that did change was the "all strings are unicode" policy. I see the argument for it, I understand that there are use cases where it's better, but it forces the encoding issue when sometimes it never existed to start with. Python 2 treated strings as byte sequences, you could be naive of string encodings if you didn't try to do operations like capitalization which is a whole complex thing that requires understand the semantics of writing systems and stuff. Byte string in, byte stream out, encoding is somebody else's problem. Python 3 took a much "stronger" definition of string to mean code-point sequence so when you're like reading a text file instead of being like "give me the bytes in this file" you have to be like "give me the codepoints in this file under such and such encoding which it's my job to figure out".

It expands the number of things a given python program which uses strings and does IO has to worry about.

The string encoding thing is definitely something I've encountered when looking up some kind of solution on StackOverflow and finding that the top-rated answer doesn't immediately work, and then I realize "ah, right... the whole encoding thing".

Does python 2 have list (and dict) comprehensions and all that? I've come to rely on those quite a fair bit over the years.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    py2 does have both those things. We're many years into python 3 and the set of new things in it but not in 2 is still pretty limited, which is also part of why I'm in no rush to upgrade.
    white text on black is extremely gay.

theres a reason negros dont tattoo themselves with white inks.
    Mahmoud Houston
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny white text on black is extremely gay.

theres a reason negros dont tattoo themselves with white inks.

Found the poornigger with an LCD phone.
Jump to Top