User Controls

Another company celebrates success with a round of layoffs

Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    Just like SpaceX, Activision-Blizzard are celebrating a record 2018 by firing 8% of it's workforce - the same people who helped them achieve their success.

"Over the last few years, many of our non-development teams expanded to support various needs," Blizzard president J. Allen Brack said in a note to staff. "Currently staffing levels on some teams are out of proportion with our current release slate."
    https://games.slashdot.org/story/19/02/12/239255/activision-blizzard-cuts-8-of-jobs-amid-record-results-in-2018

"Sorry goy, but your children's right to eat doesn't suit our release schedule."

How can people raise families or have a decent life working for such scum?

You can't even predict if you'll have a job tomorrow.

I certainly wouldn't like to be accused of hating the rich.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Blizzard apparently pays its devs well below industry standards too because they know the name alone is enough of a draw for potential employees
    Soyboy V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed African Astronaut [my no haunted nonbeing]
    Originally posted by aldra Blizzard apparently pays its devs well below industry standards too because they know the name alone is enough of a draw for potential employees

I heard that game devs in general earn surprisingly little money.

I have no idea why, other than people wanting to build games.
    Good good, got to keep the little man down.
    the layoffs are ploys to push americans to the far left for the 2020 election.
    That's a sign of a great company and great business minds when you can increase profits/revenue and decrease labor.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed I heard that game devs in general earn surprisingly little money.

I have no idea why, other than people wanting to build games.

me neither

if I were a competent game developer the last thing I'd want to do is cuck for a big company that cares more about profits than the quality of the product, especially so if they refused to share said profits
    Soyboy V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed African Astronaut [my no haunted nonbeing]
    Originally posted by aldra me neither

if I were a competent game developer the last thing I'd want to do is cuck for a big company that cares more about profits than the quality of the product, especially so if they refused to share said profits

Don't you think adding MICROTRANSACTIONS to a game is a worthwhile pursuit?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Game dev is largely worst dev. Back in the day (like 10 years ago? IDK) a large portion of people got into programming because video games, they wanted to work on video games and would take sub-standard wages because other kinds of dev work wasn't as cool to basement dwelling virgins (I mean honestly I'd take a paycut to work on a videogame I liked, although not the rest of the treatment you get). So game studios could offer shit wages and still hire so capitalism was appeased or whatever. That's changing these days because ever poorfag is flocking to tech because it's seen as a last bastion of social mobility in the US and may have been at some point. But it doesn't matter too much because game studios lean on contracting firms for programmers more than almost any other industry and contractors work under just about any conditions because their visas are ransomed or they're at a disadvantage trying to negotiate directly for some reason (no degree, low skill, exceptionally ugly, whatever). This is also why they can get away with firing large portions of them on a dime, because contractors are sub-human in modern capitalism.

The exception to this is graphics developers because americans in undergrad are too fucking stupid to do linear algebra apparently and professional training programs don't even try, so finding someone who isn't scared shitless by SIMD and some math is rare and employers are willing to pay for it.

Our species deserves to die out.
    Originally posted by Lanny Our species deserves to die out.

who do you mean by 'our' ?
    Originally posted by Lanny contractors are sub-human in modern capitalism.

Aren't we all?

Like don't you ever worry about banging your head and winding up retarded?

How do you keep your job, or get another one, then?
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed Aren't we all?

she sleeps her way to successes.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny she sleeps her way to successes.

Any woman that doesn't is a fool.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed Any woman that doesn't is a fool.

and men. dont be sexist.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING V: A Cat-Girl/Boy Under Every Bed Aren't we all?

There are a lot more things that can kill me directly than render me alive but unable to work, doesn't seem like something particularly worth worrying about.
    Originally posted by Lanny There are a lot more things that can kill me directly than render me alive but unable to work, doesn't seem like something particularly worth worrying about.

But if you die your rent won't be so high.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    cemetery plots don't come cheap honey
    Ghost Black Hole
    That's what you get when you betray the gaming community, karma.
    Originally posted by Lanny cemetery plots don't come cheap honey

your kind usually prefers cremation.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny your kind usually prefers cremation.

As a vampire upon society I actually prefer superterranean coffins.
Jump to Top