User Controls

Securing bitcoins with just a URL

Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    Basically thinking how cool it would be to make a site that allows you to send bitcoin using just a URL.

You send bitcoin to the site, then share the URL given to whoever you want. The site would provide an easy interface for downloading a wallet and transferring the coin to your own account.

Would this work?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life Basically thinking how cool it would be to make a site that allows you to send bitcoin using just a URL.

You send bitcoin to the site, then share the URL given to whoever you want. The site would provide an easy interface for downloading a wallet and transferring the coin to your own account.

Would this work?

I suppose so, but if the receiver is going to end up with a wallet anyway... why not just put up a tutorial on opening a wallet and send it to the receiver's wallet directly?
    Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    Originally posted by Lanny I suppose so, but if the receiver is going to end up with a wallet anyway… why not just put up a tutorial on opening a wallet and send it to the receiver's wallet directly?

Because then you need to ask the other person for an address and can't just send or leave the url
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I guess that's a difference, but like when is that something that's particularly useful? Every use case I can imagine is better served by like paypal or something. If the recipient is like a merchant or something they're already going to have a wallet and have zero reason to use the service. If they need to cash it out then there's a whole bunch of additional hoops to jump through. Like maybe if you want to gift your grandma some bitcoin to buy drugs for Christmas it'd be useful?
    Originally posted by Lanny I guess that's a difference, but like when is that something that's particularly useful? Every use case I can imagine is better served by like paypal or something. If the recipient is like a merchant or something they're already going to have a wallet and have zero reason to use the service. If they need to cash it out then there's a whole bunch of additional hoops to jump through. Like maybe if you want to gift your grandma some bitcoin to buy drugs for Christmas it'd be useful?

You could send people money with just an email or SMS number or over messenger. No need to share a bitcoin address to start the transaction.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, but what's the use case here? In what situation would you want to send bitcoin to someone who doesn't already have a wallet via email or SMS?
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Sounds like a mitm crypto transaction.

What happens when I sends funds from one of my wallets to another, like what chain reaction starts?
    Originally posted by SBTlauien What happens when I sends funds from one of my wallets to another, like what chain reaction starts?

I don't understand the question.

The site would have to give you a place to put a receive address, to transfer the funds out.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Scanning QR codes is the easiest way to send BTC
    Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    Why isn't it called bytecoin?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Because octet coin sounds cooler
    esbity African Astronaut
    Megabyte Coin - Only for the top %1.
Jump to Top