User Controls

How can I simulate 56k dialup speeds?

Phantasmagoria African Astronaut
    Is there a setting in dd-wrt or windows?
    Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    Open developer tools and click on the network tab
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, if you're trying to simulate it for a browser all the major ones have tools for throttling.

If you're testing other applications that do net IO then Charles proxy is a more robust solution.
    its not really 56k unless its used together with win98 on a pentium machime.

and only in white or asian colored computers.
    There are still diablup services around and BBS's even..just go buy a 56k modem from a thrift store.
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    Some of those used video game stores still have antiquated electronic hardware an 56k modems.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    why bother? most sites nowadays preload in such a way that the page will just be blank for an hour until everything's cached

Originally posted by cupocheer Some of those used video game stores still have antiquated electronic hardware an 56k modems.

I'd doubt he has a landline given his living situation
    Here you go OP,

I've done all the work for you...here is a recreated website from the old days of dialup...just wait 4 more mins for the rest of the pic to load...or for that real dialup experience ensure you are "done" wanking before the good parts of the photo actually load.

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    I never remember connecting at 56k, usually it was more like 28, 36k or 44kbps IIRC.

But if connected at less than 36k I'd usually just disconnect and try again.
    Shrooms Houston
    Turn modem
    Connecting to either newsnet or totse cost at least 1c a minute (hey it was money at the time).

I only gradually got acquainted to the idea that a browser window wasn't a valuable resource - tbh I am not fully on board, though I am sorta, like an old person, having got acquainted with electric light.
Jump to Top