User Controls

actually found a pretty dope drug addiction group

the doctor leading it is kinda annoying because he talks a lot but other than that he's chill. there's no AA/NA cult bullshit. you don't have to even be trying to be sober to attend, if you tell them you want to smoke weed for sleep or whatever but still want to get off hard drugs they'll still try to help you attain that goal and not just tell you you need absolute sobriety/god because you're a piece of shit for using drugs.

it's all veterans in the group so everyone is pretty fucked up. im the youngest in the group. theres a few middle age guys who drank their lives into oblivion, another guy who has definitely seen some fucked up shit and has been strung out on heroin, some really old guy who was a drunk his entire life basically.

they don't seem all that knowledgeable though, the one heroin dude had been on subs for a long time, he didn't say how long but he said he was hoping to get off of them within a year. he was asking me questions about withdrawal from subs and shit so i said i don't really know, but the doctor keeps saying there's no withdrawal from it which is pretty ignorant/fucked. i think i'm going to tell that guy about Crouton because i can tell he knows the dr is full of shit.

it's pretty weird though, one dude had surgery or some shit so he's on oxy 24/7 but he's been "sober" for months, and the old drunk dude takes lorazepam but is unaware that it's a benzo and is thankful to god he doesn't crave alcohol lmao
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Is it by any chance called "SMART Recovery" or something like that?

I used to go to a group like that.

They take more of a harm reduction approach than a complete abstinence approach.

They also incorporate Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is an empirically-backed, heavily researched psychotherapeutic approach to addiction (among other psychpathologies).

It's got none of that religious, one-size-fits-all, unrealistic NA/AA crap.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Is it by any change called "SMART Recovery" or something like that?

I used to go to a group like that.

They take more of a harm reduction approach than a complete abstinence approach.

They also incorporate Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is an empirically-backed, heavily researched psychotherapeutic approach to addiction (among other psychpathologies).

It's got none of that religious, one-size-fits-all, unrealistic NA/AA crap.

no, but it's very similar to that. what you're describing is exactly how this program is.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by OG_GREENPLASTIC_JOHNSON_III no, but it's very similar to that. what you're describing is exactly how this program is.

Well, whatever its called, it sounds better than NA/AA.

Group therapy/meetings can be incredibly valuable. And while 12-step programs might work very well for some people, they do not work for everyone.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Well, whatever its called, it sounds better than NA/AA.

Group therapy/meetings can be incredibly valuable. And while 12-step programs might work very well for some people, they do not work for everyone.

yea, NA is fucking stupid, there a lot of really toxic people there. i was going with my friend who has been sober for a couple years now and it was fucking lame how people talk down to you and shit for being fucked up and in withdrawal. then one day i went with him to his "home group" or whatever and they had this like round of applause for those that completed the 12th step, and they said his name, so i looked at the 12th step and it was to help someone else and i was like did this guy really fucking bring me here so he can get a little attention?

then i brought up why i kinda wasn't feeling it to him, in an honest and respectful way and he started getting all pissy and i said i'm just saying what i think and then he said "hold on" and never replied. those people are pathetic. a few are chill though
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Nice
    Loing African Astronaut
    Yeah it's called niggasin.space
Jump to Top