User Controls

What are the official character restrictions when it comes to legally naming your child in most countries?

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Is there a formal specification on which characters are allowed?

First off, are there length or pattern restrictions? E.g.: Could you name your kid Adolph Hitler Osama Bin Laden Fuck You Society Suck My Dick Faggots Johnson?

Is there a number of characters after which they cut you off? E.g.: Could you name your kid Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(…) Johnson?

Can you use punctuation? E.g.: @nth0ny Johnson?

Can you use any unicode character?

Even...

…emojis???

If I ever start seeing emojis on people's birth certificates, that is the day I become a literal space nigga. I will build myself a space craft and attempt to launch myself into outer space. I don't care if it falls apart and I just crash into the ocean or something. I refuse to live on a planet where people put emojis in their kids' names.
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Impending fatherhood??
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by tee hee hee Impending fatherhood??

Lol no, just curiosity.

If I were having kids, though, I'd use a name from the bible.

Not because I'm religious; in fact, I'm anything but.

Biblical names, though, are kind of a go-to standard.

The more creative/exotic you try to get, the more risk you're taking of your kid being ridiculed later in life (especially in elementary and high school).

E.g.: Adam, David, Daniel, etc. Elizabeth (derived from biblical), Rachel, Sarah, etc.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Is there a formal specification on which characters are allowed?

First off, are there length or pattern restrictions? E.g.: Could you name your kid Adolph Hitler Osama Bin Laden Fuck You Society Suck My Dick Faggots Johnson?

Is there a number of characters after which they cut you off? E.g.: Could you name your kid Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(…) Johnson?

Can you use punctuation? E.g.: @nth0ny Johnson?

Can you use any unicode character?

Even…

…emojis???

If I ever start seeing emojis on people's birth certificates, that is the day I become a literal space nigga. I will build myself a space craft and attempt to launch myself into outer space. I don't care if it falls apart and I just crash into the ocean or something. I refuse to live on a planet where people put emojis in their kids' names.

All names should be Slavic names.

Where is your avatar from? It looks vaguely familiar. Is it from a music video?
    There is a guy in Australia who signs his name with a penis.

He is attending law school to help defend his right to do so.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Misguided Russian All names should be Slavic names.

Ultimately, a lot of Slavic names seem to come from similar roots as Anglo-Saxon, Scandinavian, Latin, and other European names...

One of my close friends is Ukranian and named Alex (at least, that's the Anglicized/shortened version).

Ivan is super common in Russia, and, interestingly, it comes from the same origin as John.

Originally posted by Misguided Russian Where is your avatar from? It looks vaguely familiar. Is it from a music video?

It is a music video (from the 90's):

Originally posted by DietPiano There is a guy in Australia who signs his name with a penis.

He is attending law school to help defend his right to do so.

How do I google his name?

Soyboy IV: The Flower of Death and The Crystal of Life African Astronaut [the oppositely able-bodied hop-step-and-jump]
    Alex is Greek, John is jedi.

Sadly the native ways of Northern Europe have been well cucked by cultural influences from med-rats.
     Acolyte
    The name must be at least 8 characters, must contain at least one capital letter, must contain at least one numeral, cannot contain special characters or spaces, and cannot be a name you've used before.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqWNYoY-dtjW18xkjsFiS-7HfIMRE8vj5rwl7HIN6QOeAcSP9l_A

Bueno motherfucker
    Originally posted by  The name must be at least 8 characters, must contain at least one capital letter, must contain at least one numeral, cannot contain special characters or spaces, and cannot be a name you've used before.

Damn, I was planning on giving all my kids the same name.
    Originally posted by Bueno I think its just signing his name, I looked up a bit a while a ago about what a signature can be, if you were illiterate, you can just mark an X.
    I got in trouble at work for writing 'AYYYLMAO' on a few sign-in sheets, hind sight, should have fought back, they shouldn't tell me what my signature should be especially when all other signatures are just a squiggly line.

Yeah that's a good point.

I mean, when it comes to how you sign, no one can really tell you your signature is "wrong."

However, there's no way they would let you name your kid ...

How would you even pronounce it?
     Acolyte
    Originally posted by gadzooks Damn, I was planning on giving all my kids the same name.

It's also frowned upon to yell out your child's name by using all caps.
    Mewsik African Astronaut [diagonally photosensitise my summation]
    27 years ago, I was not allowed to give my child 2initials with a period between them, for his middle name.
    Originally posted by Mewsik 27 years ago, I was not allowed to give my child 2initials with a period between them, for his middle name.

Interesting.

So it sounds like there are some restrictions. I wonder if they're written down and codified somewhere.
    Narc Space Nigga [connect my yokel-like scolytidae]
    Just the other day I heard about a couple getting jailed for calling their kid Adolf Hitler, lol.

loling that they jailed them, not coz they called the kid that. Fucking authoritahs these days smh.

Originally posted by Narc Just the other day I heard about a couple getting jailed for calling their kid Adolf Hitler, lol.

loling that they jailed them, not coz they called the kid that. Fucking authoritahs these days smh.

Was "Adolph Hitler" the kids real name? Like on the birth certificate (or whatever official ID they give new borns over there)?

If that were the case, what would happen next? Do they force the kid to have a their name legally changed?

Also...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Lu_Hitler_Marak
    Originally posted by Bueno I think its just signing his name, I looked up a bit a while a ago about what a signature can be, if you were illiterate, you can just mark an X.
    I got in trouble at work for writing 'AYYYLMAO' on a few sign-in sheets, hind sight, should have fought back, they shouldn't tell me what my signature should be especially when all other signatures are just a squiggly line.

when i was a kid i thought the phrase 'fuck you' is a good signature until i learnt that boys sometimes can get literally fucked too.

then i stopped using it as a signature.
    Basically the court can decide to reject the name you give your child if it's deemed to cause excessive harm to the child.

DeSHAY,GONNEEENANTAYYSHAUNEENA'NN''N
Jump to Top