User Controls

How does Lanny remain a programmer/coder when his drug of choice is alcohol?

WellHung Black Hole (banned)
    Unlike psychostimulants... it's not really known to be performance-enhancing. Furthermore, with all due respect, I do not believe Lanny is microdosing, either.☺
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    it's fairly easy to avoid drinking heavily during work hours
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    unless you're Justin, who I used to work with.
    Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    A lot of tightly wound people like alcohol for its sedating effects, it slows their thoughts down and relieves the usual problems of an overactive mind.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING III: The Quest for 911 Truth A lot of tightly wound people like alcohol for its sedating effects, it slows their thoughts down and relieves the usual problems of an overactive mind.

great point. But too much alcohol will give you the usual problems that one would experience at the other end of the spectrum.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    ohhhh that Little Sporty!
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Am also programmer.

Am also alcoholic.

They actually complement each other better than you might think.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING III: The Quest for 911 Truth A lot of tightly wound people like alcohol for its sedating effects, it slows their thoughts down and relieves the usual problems of an overactive mind.

Exactly this.

After a long day of programming, alcohol is the best way to unwind.

The problem, though, arises when you reach for the bottle before the work day is through.

That was my major problem for a while, at least.

When you are a telecommuting programmer, it only makes it all the more difficult.

High pay + zero supervision + occasionally highly stressful job === pretty much guaranteed substance addiction.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Am also programmer.

Am also alcoholic.

They actually complement each other better than you might think.

Ur back.👍 Did u ever leave?😃
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by WellHung Ur back.👍 Did u ever leave?😃

Lol, yeah kinda.

I pop in every few days for an hour or so when I've been drinking.

But now that I only drink at nights, and typically right before going to sleep, I seldom find myself in front of the computer while drunk.

Tonight is one of those nights though.

I'm gonna take a few more shots and hopefully pass out soon. It's 4:40 AM here... I really should be sleeping right now.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Lol, yeah kinda.

I pop in every few days for an hour or so when I've been drinking.

But now that I only drink at nights, and typically right before going to sleep, I seldom find myself in front of the computer while drunk.

Tonight is one of those nights though.

I'm gonna take a few more shots and hopefully pass out soon. It's 4:40 AM here… I really should be sleeping right now.

time to post from your phone.

that way you can post till you pass out reading wall of text.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny time to post from your phone.

that way you can post till you pass out reading wall of text.

As a general rule, I try to avoid going on NiS for that exact reason.

That's pretty much exactly how I would pass out every single night if that were the case. In fact, probably a few times per night.

Man, I remember in my opiate days I would nod off mid-sentence while typing something like 10 times per sentence.

I would have fell asleep like 30 times by the time I hit SUBMIT on anything.

But then again, with opiates, such "micro-naps" are pretty common. Alcohol usually results in AT LEAST an hour or two of sleep.
    Originally posted by gadzooks As a general rule, I try to avoid going on NiS for that exact reason.

That's pretty much exactly how I would pass out every single night if that were the case. In fact, probably a few times per night.

Man, I remember in my opiate days I would nod off mid-sentence while typing something like 10 times per sentence.

I would have fell asleep like 30 times by the time I hit SUBMIT on anything.

But then again, with opiates, such "micro-naps" are pretty common. Alcohol usually results in AT LEAST an hour or two of sleep.

just make sure you dont pass out with somethimg lit in your hand.

cigarette or otherwise.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny just make sure you dont pass out with somethimg lit in your hand.

cigarette or otherwise.

Now that you bring that up, I'm actually pretty amazed that I've never fallen asleep with something lit in hand.

But you did remind me of yet another negative side effect from an opiate habit...

When I was on methadone, I used to wake up (to take a middle-of-the-night piss, for example), only to pass out WHILE WALKING and tumble into, and topple over, a book shelf or something.

It was actually pretty fucking terrifying.

Life-pro-tip: Try to avoid becoming an opiate addict because passing out while walking can be extremely dangerous, and falling asleep while walking becomes a very real possibility when you're nodding off while on opiates.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Now that you bring that up, I'm actually pretty amazed that I've never fallen asleep with something lit in hand.

But you did remind me of yet another negative side effect from an opiate habit…

When I was on methadone, I used to wake up (to take a middle-of-the-night piss, for example), only to pass out WHILE WALKING and tumble into, and topple over, a book shelf or something.

It was actually pretty fucking terrifying.

Life-pro-tip: Try to avoid becoming an opiate addict because passing out while walking can be extremely dangerous, and falling asleep while walking becomes a very real possibility when you're nodding off while on opiates.

im not addicted to any drugs but i can simply pass out due to tiredness.

i can lie on my bed and read stuffs on my phone and then pass out and dropping my phone onto my sternum.

or when i was taking the bus, or driving.
     Acolyte
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny im not addicted to any drugs but i can simply pass out due to tiredness.

i can lie on my bed and read stuffs on my phone and then pass out and dropping my phone onto my sternum.

Low iron.
    Originally posted by  Low iron.

i doubt it.

over here we use galvanized iron for all our water piping and i get plenty of rusts and im sure theres a way our body turn iron oxides into iron and oxygen.
    Ghost Black Hole
    He hasn't updated ISS code in months
    perfection has been attained.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny i can simply pass out due to tiredness…

Was that meant to imply driving a bus as well?

Should we all be trembling in fear now every time we get on a bus?
Jump to Top