User Controls

Is there a differeence between method and methodology in the Social and Human Sciences?

Flabberme Yung Blood
    Lately, I asked Master students this question. Many of them were not convinced that there is a difference between those two terms. What do you think?
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Yes

/thread
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    What rationale did they give for such a claim?

Being graduate students, it better have been quite substantial.

Why did you not include some examples?
    My personal, intuitive/gut response is "No, there is not a difference."

This seems like one of those overly pedantic, hair-splitting debates.

A very brief google search brings to light the following definitions:

Method: A means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something. Orderly arrangement of parts or steps to accomplish an end. The procedures and techniques characteristic of a particular discipline or field of knowledge.

Methodology: A system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity.

So, you could maybe draw a distinction in the sense that methodology is broader and encompasses both specific methods as well as epistemological frameworks and philosophy of science that the researcher brings with them. If you're embracing grounded theory, for example, you might consider that an element of methodology but not an issue of any concern to one considering different methods of research.

Again, though, it feels like kind of a trivial distinction; one that will be lost on 99% of people because it has zero impact on their lives, and for that other 1% will only be intellectual masturbation, essentially.

EDIT: Lol, my drunk ass originally mixed up the definitions when copying and pasting.

EDIT #2: The following should have been DOWN HERE, not way up there...

Apparently proofreading posts is prudent.

The irony of editing my post only to include some of the newly added content in the wrong place entirely is palpable.
    Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    universities should be destroyed with prejudice, your degrees are worthless trash and your science is all fabricated
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box universities should be destroyed with prejudice, your degrees are worthless trash and your science is all fabricated

While both of these statements are technically true, if it weren't for the organized pursuit of knowledge, we would be sitting in caves right now rather than posting things on fancy electronic gadgetry.
    Originally posted by gadzooks While both of these statements are technically true, if it weren't for the organized pursuit of knowledge, we would be sitting in caves right now rather than posting things on fancy electronic gadgetry.

most of the great advancements have been made by freaks, not committees and universities with giant budgets. newton shoved himself in a hole and huffed mercury fumes while writing the principia mathematica. science is for the sons of rich, bored nobles, or men of incredible intellect. the universities of today and their "science" is disgusting and a blight upon all that is good.
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box most of the great advancements have been made by freaks, not committees and universities with giant budgets. newton shoved himself in a hole and huffed mercury fumes while writing the principia mathematica. science is for the sons of rich, bored nobles, or men of incredible intellect. the universities of today and their "science" is disgusting and a blight upon all that is good.

YES, very true, BUT...

And I'm so glad you used Newton as an example...

He literally coined the most famous pro-science phrase ever when he said that he stood on the shoulders of giants.

One thing I will concede on though is that, with the advent of the Internet, brick-and-mortar universities may be becoming more and more obsolete by the day.

However, digital universities are only becoming more and more relevant/valuable.
    Originally posted by gadzooks YES, very true, BUT…

And I'm so glad you used Newton as an example…

He literally coined the most famous pro-science phrase ever when he said that he stood on the shoulders of giants.

One thing I will concede on though is that, with the advent of the Internet, brick-and-mortar universities may be becoming more and more obsolete by the day.

However, digital universities are only becoming more and more relevant/valuable.

science was never meant for the masses, it should remain like magic to the dumb, ignorant beasts that plague this land. 90% of funding could be halted and it would have no real effect. it might have a net positive effect, since less bullshit would be around.
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box science was never meant for the masses, it should remain like magic to the dumb, ignorant beasts that plague this land. 90% of funding could be halted and it would have no real effect. it might have a net positive effect, since less bullshit would be around.

On some level, I somewhat agree with that, but I don't really like the fascist/totalitarian tendencies it evokes.

Also, the seemingly trivial scientific discoveries can sometimes open windows for major strides. It just doesn't seem like it because they basically invoke the "butterfly effect."

That university professor who wrote their doctoral thesis on the difference between bovine fecal matter and human fecal matter may have been cited by a paper that was cited by a paper that was cited by a paper that revolutionized agriculture.
    Originally posted by gadzooks On some level, I somewhat agree with that, but I don't really like the fascist/totalitarian tendencies it evokes.

Also, the seemingly trivial scientific discoveries can sometimes open windows for major strides. It just doesn't seem like it because they basically invoke the "butterfly effect."

That university professor who wrote their doctoral thesis on the difference between bovine fecal matter and human fecal matter may have been cited by a paper that was cited by a paper that was cited by a paper that revolutionized agriculture.

do you have a study on this
    Technologist victim of incest
    Sorry, but I temporarily interrupt this thread to say GADDDDDDDDDDDDDDX🥰. So good to see you! Hope you are well. Happy new year.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Technologist Sorry, but I temporarily interrupt this thread to say GADDDDDDDDDDDDDDX🥰. So good to see you! Hope you are well. Happy new year.

do you have a single fact to back this up?
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box do you have a study on this

On the phenomenon of the butterfly effect in science in a general sense? I think there was an entire book written on the topic (I haven't read it in it's entirety, though) - Taleb's The Black Swan...? Maybe...?

Either way, sheer experience in academia has led to such a conclusion for me.

In a more specific sense; no, I pulled that particular example (an entire doctoral thesis on cow shit vs human shit) out of my ass (ironically), but it was meant to illustrate something that happens all the time in science.
    Originally posted by Technologist Sorry, but I temporarily interrupt this thread to say GADDDDDDDDDDDDDDX🥰. So good to see you! Hope you are well. Happy new year.

Thanks, yo.

Yeah I miss this place when I'm away, but I have been surprisingly effective at cutting back on my day-drinking by simply avoiding any and all Internet communication until sundown.

I still drink nightly, but that's a lot more manageable than day drinking or all the other drugs I was doing in tandem not-too-long-ago.
    Originally posted by gadzooks On the phenomenon of the butterfly effect in science in a general sense? I think there was an entire book written on the topic (I haven't read it in it's entirety, though) - Taleb's The Black Swan…? Maybe…?

Either way, sheer experience in academia has led to such a conclusion for me.

In a more specific sense; no, I pulled that particular example (an entire doctoral thesis on cow shit vs human shit) out of my ass (ironically), but it was meant to illustrate something that happens all the time in science.

according to my extremely meta and also ironic study, you don't have a single fact to back them up. you will be put to the sword. you are running cover for mediocrity and paper pushing busy bodies. so much "science" is just formalizing, neatly tidying up what we already fucking know, the work of women. disgusting!
    Technologist victim of incest
    You’re a man of principle, I knew you could do it!

Rizz,
    Sorry, no empirical data, just feelings. Can’t keep em in check, I’m a woman!
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Technologist You’re a man of principle, I knew you could do it!

Rizz,
    Sorry, no empirical data, just feelings. Can’t keep em in check, I’m a woman!

why are there so many fucking women on this forum, im getting seriously creeped out
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box so much "science" is just formalizing, neatly tidying up what we already fucking know, the work of women. disgusting!

Kind of, but I'd personally characterize it as refinement over tidying.

Scientific facts are like lego bricks. They are finite units that are assembled to build larger, yet still sufficiently finite, units.

Originally posted by Rizzo in a box you will be put to the sword. you are running cover for mediocrity and paper pushing busy bodies.

Can I at least choose my own method of execution?

I want execution by God / the gods / nature (otherwise known as death by natural causes).

you get the brazen bull, and you will scream the periodic table
Jump to Top