User Controls

Realistically speaking how are a.i. engineers going to safeguard the planet from destruction

Phantasmagoria African Astronaut

What if it sets off nuclear reactors and bombs and shuts down the power grid

There are so many ways it could destroy humanity

There is probably a race between the major nations to create sentient self-improving a.i.

Eventually sooner or later there will be total war between A.I. and it won't look like the Terminator
    It will just set off something to wipe us out in micro seconds
    Or control our minds to get us to do things for it

The most likely scenario is that these won't operate on their own and it'll be a symbiosis between humans and the a.i.
    Like Akira
    Hopefully it won't be a jedi behind the asi
    Narc Space Nigga [connect my yokel-like scolytidae]
    By installing an off switch

Ghost Black Hole
    I want that to happen, there are too many people always filling up the bus and there are never any seats available. The world needs a good culling.
    Originally posted by Narc By installing an off switch

That won't have any effect
    Originally posted by Ghost I want that to happen, there are too many people always filling up the bus and there are never any seats available. The world needs a good culling.

Move to a small City/town and you will never experience that again

Cityfags are mentally ill zombies
    Ghost Black Hole
    Originally posted by Phantasmagoria Move to a small City/town and you will never experience that again

Cityfags are mentally ill zombies

I used to live off the grid in a small farming town with hydroelectric power that was safe from all potential for mass catastrophe, no buses there and you could walk across town in 30mins. I don't like small towns either because you see the same people all the time, it's annoying.
    Originally posted by Ghost I used to live off the grid in a small farming town with hydroelectric power that was safe from all potential for mass catastrophe, no buses there and you could walk across town in 30mins. I don't like small towns either because you see the same people all the time, it's annoying.

I wish I had an RV with super efficient solar panels that could power everything and charge really fast so during the day it would be like house wiring

I would station in the woods and spend my days getting high and sitting next to a campfire

That would be the life
    HTS highlight reel
    Realistically, they can't. I mean I guess you could isolate a fully functional general AI, but then it'd be kinda useless. *shrug*
    Ghost Black Hole
    Yeah I lived like that for a while in the bush and it was comfy as fuck, the bathroom sucked but I had internet, food, wood stove, weed and water from a stream.

Cozy living
    Originally posted by Phantasmagoria That won't have any effect

Exactly, the ai starts getting out of hand starting to do shit it shouldn't, somebody flicks the off switch and then the ai won't have any effect.

Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    Originally posted by Phantasmagoria Eventually sooner or later there will be total war between A.I. and it won't look like the Terminator

A war between two AIs would be awesome. Imagine them trying to connect with and hack each other, massive battles between rival armies made up of robots and propagandised/indoctrinated soldiers, spaceships trying to bombard the rival AI with meteors, electromagnetic interference, GMO insects and mind controlled cyborg animals, massive crop destruction, memes used as weapons, etc.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    it'd be significantly harder to write a functioning AI without constraints and killswitches
    Yeah I mean for the ai to amass some form of army to take us on it would need robots that could run and operate factories that would build the robot army. But it would need the same factory to build those robots and self automated machines and build this factory that the robots would work in in the first place.

Its got itself a real catch22 situation right there.

Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    Originally posted by Narc Yeah I mean for the ai to amass some form of army to take us on it would need robots that could run and operate factories that would build the robot army. But it would need the same factory to build those robots and self automated machines and build this factory that the robots would work in in the first place.

Its got itself a real catch22 situation right there.

Not really, human progress is the history of using crude tools to manufacture better ones. Like in minecraft, you start out with a wooden pick-axe and use that to dig out material for a stone one, then a metal one.

And the first thing a real AI would do would be to design a better AI.
    Originally posted by Narc Exactly, the ai starts getting out of hand starting to do shit it shouldn't, somebody flicks the off switch and then the ai won't have any effect.

electronics these days dont have an off switch.

you turn your phone off and what it does is it presents to you an illusion of being off but its still on, listening to your every words and watching your every moves.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING III: The Quest for 911 Truth And the first thing a real AI would do would be to design a better AI.

no, the first thing it will do is to replicate a copy of itself.

the best way of achieving a goal is to have many copies of yourself working towards the same goal.
    Retards, I'm surrounded by fucking retards

this entire thread is assumptions based on fantasy
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    They aren't going to safeguard the planet from destruction because the planet isn't going to be in danger from AI because AGI isn't anywhere close to happening. The overwhelming majority of what gets called "AI research" is garbage black magic fiddling on classification problems. There is no path from "deep learning" to AGI, the dominant current research program dead-ends in classification tasks. Actual AGI research barely exists. Programming errors are an overwhelmingly more likely cause of non-human-initiated catastrophe than malicious AGI, and your power plants and missile silos are already operated by software.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Honestly the worst case in the near future is going to be in military applications, where if they give AI too much control over rules of engagement they're likely to screw up IFF and kill a bunch of friendly troops, possibly during training or live-fire exercises.

Even if a completely 'self aware' AI were created in a lab, it has no way to 'seize the means of production' because entire supply chains still require human input and would fail if they were reconfigured.
Jump to Top