User Controls

Do you remember how to factor a polynomial?

Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    I don't.

They wasted the time they spent teaching me this.

The same with Irish.

I can't even remember how to read music anymore.

Do you feel like your time in school was wasted?
    BeeReBuddy motherfucker [pimp your due marabout]
    Yeah, did well in most of my math classes though, got all the way to calc 2, linear algebra, finite mathematics, it was more of a monkey see monkey do though.
    Its the whole "WE NEED WELL ROUNDED STUDENTS" scam.
    The worst are the diversity class, they cant other decide, they need to force that shit.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Compulsory mathematics education is uniformly horrible. I don't think anyone even pretends like it's not at this point, although people who ride Japan's cock for their high scores on standardized tests really misses the point of mathematics education by a mile.

Compulsory education isn't about learning per se, although there is some of that, it's about producing socialized and useful members of society. We're pretty good at teaching reading and writing and those are obviously critical. Schools are also pretty good at getting people to sit down and follow directions and generally get emotionally invested in the rewards structure of the society. The former can be done in a couple of years, the latter apparently takes most of the 13 years we spend in schools, everything else is inconsequential to the fundamental function of K-12. Innumeracy isn't much of a problem, in highly consumeristic cultures it's actually advantageous. Not enough people give a shit about art so whether students end up with any kind of appreciation of it or ability to make it is really secondary.

So yeah, time in school isn't strictly wasted, something's getting accomplished, it's just not learning math or music or anything other than becoming literate.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Ghost Black Hole
    I get polymorph at 4th level as a domain spell for my trickery cleric.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by Lanny So yeah, time in school isn't strictly wasted, something's getting accomplished, it's just not learning math or music or anything other than becoming literate.

That, and government-funded daycare for working parents.
    Isn't there that one formula you can use to solve any polynomial if you just plug values into it...

I, too, am mathematically-retarded, but I swear there was like some formula... It had a bunch of variables, something got square rooted...

WTF is it called?
    HOLY FUCK: The Quadradic Formula.

That's what I was thinking of...

x=2a−b±b2−4ac
    ​​
    Does LaTeX formatting work here…?
    Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    Originally posted by gadzooks Isn't there that one formula you can use to solve any polynomial if you just plug values into it…

I, too, am mathematically-retarded, but I swear there was like some formula… It had a bunch of variables, something got square rooted…

WTF is it called?

That's the whole point. It's something simple and retarded, that I can't explain rn.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    That doesn't look right.

LANNY, ANOTHER FEATURE REQUEST: Integrate LaTeX like stackoverflow and the like do...

I'm actually kidding with these daily feature requests.

I realize how much work it is for such a narrow niche use-case on a site like this.
    Originally posted by gadzooks That doesn't look right.

LANNY, ANOTHER FEATURE REQUEST: Integrate LaTeX like stackoverflow and the like do…

I'm actually kidding with these daily feature requests.

ISS is open source, such a pull request should in theory be routine, once you understand you plugins work in Django and ISS in particular.
    But another philosophical question that arises is: "Does there exist a better way to educate children and adolescents?"

There is a point of diminishing returns on the activity of "learning."

I almost want to say that our brains have limited RAM as an analogy.

Actually, that doesn't seem too unreasonable of an analogy.

They could probably try to teach us calculus by the time we reach kindergarten, but how effective would that be?

What alternative is there to the current educational system?

Or is the question moot, since we'll be plugging our brains into computers in no time at all, and thus be permanently connected to any and all knowledge and computational resources.

It would definitely make a lot of game shows (like Jeopardy and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?) quite boring.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING III: The Quest for 911 Truth ISS is open source, such a pull request should in theory be routine, once you understand you plugins work in Django and ISS in particular.

I know, I know.

I have forked the repo locally and am playing around in it.

I have tons of experience in Python, and in particular, Flask, as a web framework.

Django has a few more bells and whistles though that I still need to figure out.

Also, I'm kinda new to contributing to team/group/work repositories (and not just my own private ones), so I've gotta build up some of the Pull/Merge Request courage.
    Originally posted by gadzooks I know, I know.

I have forked the repo locally and am playing around in it.

I have tons of experience in Python, and in particular, Flask, as a web framework.

Django has a few more bells and whistles though that I still need to figure out.

Also, I'm kinda new to contributing to team/group/work repositories (and not just my own private ones), so I've gotta build up some of the Pull/Merge Request courage.

Feel free to pm me, I'm in a similar situation.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    As the name suggests, the quadratic formula is only a solution to second order polynomials. I don't think there's a general solution
Jump to Top