User Controls

If someone offered you $10,000

Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    To pick up a box and drop it off somewhere 100 miles away, would you do it? The box is sealed, you are not allowed to open it or it won’t be accepted and you won’t get paid, you don’t know anything about the drop location, and you know very little about who is offering you the job and who is paying you (who may or may not be the same person). All you know is you are picking up an unmarked box from an obscure point A and dropping it off at an obscure point B. Do a good job, and you could get more jobs offered to you.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    No this doesn't sound like a job for a lady.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    PM me.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    😁😁
    esbity African Astronaut
    I would. I've had other delivery jobs and they're alright.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    If I were particularly desperate, like going through heroin withdrawals back in the day, then probably, yeah.

When I'm thinking straight, which is, believe it or not, most of the time, then probably not.

And actually, there are two main reasons for why I would (typically) lean towards "no":

1. Ethical reasons: The first thing that popped into my head was the movie Se7en...

2. Practical reasons: This could just be a ruse all about getting me personally killed, or it could be some ultra-dangerous mission where you just straight up stand no chance of surviving and staying out of jail or any other kind of trouble that would make $10,000 not even remotely worth it.
    Originally posted by gadzooks If I were particularly desperate, like going through heroin withdrawals back in the day, then probably, yeah.

When I'm thinking straight, which is, believe it or not, most of the time, then probably not.

And actually, there are two main reasons for why I would (typically) lean towards "no":

1. Ethical reasons: The first thing that popped into my head was the movie Se7en

2. Practical reasons: This could just be a ruse all about getting me personally killed, or it could be some ultra-dangerous mission where you just straight up stand no chance of surviving and staying out of jail or any other kind of trouble that would make $10,000 not even remotely worth it.

I’m glad you value your life at more than $10,000. Is there a dollar amount at which point the potential benefit becomes greater than the inherent risks
    Originally posted by Ajax I’m glad you value your life at more than $10,000. Is there a dollar amount at which point the potential benefit becomes greater than the inherent risks

Again, assuming no chemicals are lowering my inhibitions (like alcohol or benzos or anything, or maybe some stimulants), and also assuming I'm not going through opiate withdrawals (although I don't expect ever to again, since I've been off them for 4+ years now)...

There might be a point at which I would put my own life at risk for more money.

I'm not going to try to hazard a guess at any real quantitative threshold though, because it really depends on a lot of factors.

But if something about the mission seems like it could result in me having to take a life myself, then virtually no amount of money will be sufficient.
    esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Ajax I’m glad you value your life at more than $10,000. Is there a dollar amount at which point the potential benefit becomes greater than the inherent risks

How much would you accept to kill someone else?

There is a price of a life.
    Originally posted by esbity How much would you accept to kill someone else?

There is a price of a life.

Not for everyone.

Some people would refuse all the money in the world before they'll kill.

Others, on the other hand, will do it for a $20 hit of crack.

And yet others, still, will do it for the sheer thrill.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Originally posted by esbity I would. I've had other delivery jobs and they're alright.

This right here. Your job offer doesn't really differ from other delivery jobs.
    Now, if you wanted to derail the thread a bit and delve into some philosophical debate regarding some ethical conundrums, you could get into placing relative value on a person's life.

Scarily enough, this is becoming more and more relevant to real-life as they program AI, especially self-driving cars.

If the car has no choice but to run over an old lady or a kid, how does it decide which one to kill?

Humans, at least hypothetically speaking (for the most part), can talk about similar relative prices.

But again, that would be a whole other topic.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by gadzooks If I were particularly desperate, like going through heroin withdrawals back in the day, then probably, yeah.

1. Ethical reasons: The first thing that popped into my head was the movie Se7en

But the se7en head deliverer never was the wiser as to what he delivered so you can't really say it was ethically wrong.
    Originally posted by mmQ But the se7en head deliverer never was the wiser as to what he delivered so you can't really say it was ethically wrong.

That's a really good point.

I wouldn't consider him to be ethically responsible for what he did.

But, if you deliver packages with such specific instructions, and for particularly high amounts of money, then you might be guilty of some ethical naivety for not even considering that you're possibly contributing to something morally ambiguous.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Not for everyone.

Some people would refuse all the money in the world before they'll kill.

Others, on the other hand, will do it for a $20 hit of crack.

And yet others, still, will do it for the sheer thrill.

And yet others would pay money to do it. Think Hostel.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by gadzooks But if something about the mission seems like it could result in me having to take a life myself, then virtually no amount of money will be sufficient.

This is gonna sound edgy, but why?
    Originally posted by Ajax And yet others would pay money to do it. Think Hostel.

Yeah, that is definitely a creepy thought.
    Originally posted by HTS This is gonna sound edgy, but why?

Because murder is wrong.

I mean, come on, HTS, really?

You're right, it really does sound edgy, and I sincerely hope that was your one and only intent in asking that.

Even though I do enjoy ethical debates, even some that others would think completely unrealistic or inconsequential, and I play devil's advocate for so many things because of how much I enjoy the very act of debate and rational discourse.

But, when it comes to the murder question, it seems pretty simple a solution to me.

Ask yourself:

1. Would I mind if someone came along and killed me without my consent?

And, since some people might just be edgy enough, or perhaps suicidal enough, to say "yes" to #1...

2. Would you mind if someone came along and killed the one person you care most about in the world, without their consent?

Very few people are 'edgy' enough to answer yes to that one.

Although some use the copout that they "don't have anyone in their lives they care about that much."
    I consider that an edgy copout response as well though.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by gadzooks Because murder is wrong.

I mean, come on, HTS, really?

You're right, it really does sound edgy, and I sincerely hope that was your one and only intent in asking that.

Even though I do enjoy ethical debates, even some that others would think completely unrealistic or inconsequential, and I play devil's advocate for so many things because of how much I enjoy the very act of debate and rational discourse.

But, when it comes to the murder question, it seems pretty simple a solution to me.

Ask yourself:

1. Would I mind if someone came along and killed me without my consent?

And, since some people might just be edgy enough, or perhaps suicidal enough, to say "yes" to #1…

2. Would you mind if someone came along and killed the one person you care most about in the world, without their consent?

Very few people are 'edgy' enough to answer yes to that one.

Although some use the copout that they "don't have anyone in their lives they care about that much."
    I consider that an edgy copout response as well though.

I mean, yes I would mind if I got killed or a loved one got killed, but I wouldn't mind if a complete stranger did. There are probably thousands of people out there being killed RIGHT NOW, and I don't care at all. And honestly? You probably don't either. Even if you heard their names, saw a picture of them, read an article describing their life and family and knew they were now dead... I doubt you would really care.

You're smart enough to see where this is going, I think. I'm not saying I ever will kill anyone, for the record. I'm just saying I probably could without feeling too bad about it, especially if they were a stranger. I don't really think this is a unique perspective on taking another person's life either. If it were, war would be impossible. *shrug*
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Cats asume I'm cracking jokes but I ain't laughing folks, I'd slit your throat for a pack of smokes if my ass was broke.
Jump to Top