User Controls

Happiness is an unrealistic goal

GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Humans are not built in a way that makes us happy all the time. We are built on problem solving and reward. It's supposed to make the entire effort worth it. Did you finally fuck that hot bitch from the tribe over the hill? Good job dude, here are some chemicals to make you feel good. Did you steal some honey from those fucking goddamned bees? Nice! Enjoy that sugar rush.

Every moment of happiness in life is fleeting. It's actually a good thing. Imagine if we were just happy all the fucking time? It wouldn't work. We needed to be unhappy and uncomfortable to progress as a species. That's why we covered ourselves in furs when we were cold, and rode horses when our feet were tired. Discontent drives innovation. We aren't happy with the world, so we change it.

Now maybe you aren't exactly thinking "Why am I not happy 24/7" but you might be thinking "Why am I so unhappy?" It might feel like you are especially depressed, or that there's something wrong with you, but there isn't. We are built to be unhappy. We're at our happiest when we are problem solving and innovating and seeing ourselves be successful.

I think the most one can hope for in life is to find a spot where you are content for most of the time, and happy as often as you can be. To me this is a much more reasonable and reachable goal than seeking to create a life that's 'perfect' because it will never be perfect. We can never be truly happy.
    Is this the preface to Chicken Soup for Faggots?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by ohfralala Is this the preface to Chicken Soup for Faggots?

If you guys knew what my books were actually about, I promise you'd have trouble trolling about it.
    Oh I doubt that kemosabe
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Happiness has become an object of seductive nature used to control people like lemmings by referring them to a commercial mythology wherein their wishes are granted and their suffering is validated, if and only if they accept the prescriptions offered by the authorities. This project of subjugating the human spirit is so far along that the very concept is hardwired into our brains so that we enslave ourselves for them. Any hope of subverting the process ran out centuries ago, if not millennia. You'll never really be happy, but you'll keep trying, and that makes other, more powerful people satisfied for the time being.
    Originally posted by ohfralala Oh I doubt that kemosabe

You wouldn't be able to read or pronounce them. They're in Hebrew.
    Flatulant_bomb Tuskegee Airman
    I am single and my kids are grown and on their own, and here you are trying to bring me down. Fuck that! I am happy as I can be, it's my time! Enjoy your misery!
    Originally posted by Flatulant_bomb I am single and my kids are grown and on their own, and here you are trying to bring me down. Fuck that! I am happy as I can be, it's my time! Enjoy your misery!

This isn't fucking reddit. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by GGG You wouldn't be able to read or pronounce them. They're in Hebrew.

those are the easiest kinds to troll though

rate them in yellow stars
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Well someone's angsty.

Being happy 24/7 would be weird - and exhausting. Like how you describe, I'd say usually I'm contentedly numb with occasional feelings of happiness throughout the day. I imagine most people experience something similar. There's nothing wrong with this of course, so I don't see the point of this thread. Who honestly wants to be a bubbly moron with a perpetual grin?
    Soyboy III: The Quest for 911 Truth Tuskegee Airman [oppositely expose the hypermetropia]
    Happiness is and can only be a temporary state. You can never be very happy for very long.

Once you accept that it's much easier to get by.
    Originally posted by D4NG0 Well someone's angsty.

Being happy 24/7 would be weird - and exhausting. Like how you describe, I'd say usually I'm contentedly numb with occasional feelings of happiness throughout the day. I imagine most people experience something similar. There's nothing wrong with this of course, so I don't see the point of this thread. Who honestly wants to be a bubbly moron with a perpetual grin?

Some people see that normal resting state as being depressed.
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Originally posted by GGG Some people see that normal resting state as being depressed.

I said contentedly numb. Not numb in the depressed sense.
    Originally posted by D4NG0 I said contentedly numb. Not numb in the depressed sense.

Didn't say you did nigga. I said some people. They think being numb and just content/okay is some special mental illness.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Knowing nothing is better than knowing it all.
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Originally posted by GGG Didn't say you did nigga. I said some people. They think being numb and just content/okay is some special mental illness.

Then they need to learn life isn't about them and their feels. Let's drop them in a warzone.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by D4NG0 Then they need to learn life isn't about them and their feels. Let's drop them in a warzone.

What's life about then, on an individual basis?
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Originally posted by mmQ What's life about then, on an individual basis?

Serving God, eating, drinking, and being merry. Or, if you're Catholic, being Mary.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    "life isn't about our feels"

"what's it about?"

"being merry"

tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Very wise.

If I could like the title (only) I would!
Jump to Top