User Controls

When you're at the store buying liquor and walk into the 'mixer' aisle

GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    In my head I'm thinking "I need something to mix this with, lets get a mixer."

So I go to where the signs say the mixers are, but it's just Kool-Aid and Mio.

Like ??? where's the fruit juice and coke?
    This nigga is lost in Walmart
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    If you get the right kind of liquor, you can either not mix/chase it at all, or you can mix/chase it with more liquor.

That's what I do, for the most part at least.
    Just mix it with vodka.
    Originally posted by gadzooks If you get the right kind of liquor, you can either not mix/chase it at all, or you can mix/chase it with more liquor.

That's what I do, for the most part at least.

That's usually what I do. Just straight whiskey.

But my friends don't like that, so if we aren't drinking beer they'll want rum and some soda, or as a compromise they will drink the whiskey with fucking Dr. Pepper, which is gross as fuck, especially with Canadian whiskeys.
    The only whiskey I drink really is Scotch, and pretty much only Single Malt and preferably at least 18 years old, but I'll settle for a 15 year old, or even a 12 year old if I'm desperate.

In which case, I either drink it straight, or with a splash of water, or sometimes with club soda / carbonated water (especially if I have to settle for a, *gasp*, blended scotch).

Other than that, I drink virtually no other spirits.

I'll drink beer, cider, malt liquor (40 oz of Olde English out of the brown paper bag), etc.

But when it comes to spirits, I get a little more picky and pretentious.
    totse3.com Space Nigga
    Mix drinks leads to vomiting.

except mudslide mix.. those are always damn tasty. to bad I don't drink anymore.
    Originally posted by totse3.com Mix drinks leads to vomiting.

except mudslide mix.. those are always damn tasty. to bad I don't drink anymore.

Not really. All that matters is how much alcohol you drink and what types of cogengers you consume.

Otherwise, ethanol is ethanol.
    Originally posted by gadzooks The only whiskey I drink really is Scotch, and pretty much only Single Malt and preferably at least 18 years old, but I'll settle for a 15 year old, or even a 12 year old if I'm desperate.

In which case, I either drink it straight, or with a splash of water, or sometimes with club soda / carbonated water (especially if I have to settle for a, *gasp*, blended scotch).

Other than that, I drink virtually no other spirits.

I'll drink beer, cider, malt liquor (40 oz of Olde English out of the brown paper bag), etc.

But when it comes to spirits, I get a little more picky and pretentious.

What are some brands you'd recommend?
    Originally posted by totse3.com Mix drinks leads to vomiting.

"Beer before liquor, never sicker.

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear."

I essentially live my entire life by those words.

It might just be the stuff of frat legends or old wives' tales, but mixing different types of alcohol in a single night can be hazardous to your health, and result in hangovers that last more than one day.

At least, that's my experience.
    HTS highlight reel
    Chasing > mixed drinks, with few exceptions. Those exceptions being complex, fruity cocktails that you feel gay for drinking and like... the cuba libre. But even then, like, chasing a shot of rum with coke is pretty much just as good.
    Originally posted by GGG What are some brands you'd recommend?

Glenfiddich is decent.

I haven't tried every brand of Single Malt Scotch out there, admittedly.

In fact, I haven't even tried every type (they vary based on where in Scotland they come from).

But as a general rule, the more aged, the better, and single malt is always superior to blended scotch.

Other than that, personal taste will become a factor.

Some prefer Speyside single malts (such as Glenfiddich), whereas others prefer Islay or Highland brands.

Scotch is an interesting type of liquor, with a lot of history, and some pretentious zealots / over-the-top fanatics out there.

I sometimes can't even tell if they're just utterly full of it, or really able to distinguish between such subtle nuances as how floral vs how fruity a certain scotch is, or if it's slightly more nutty than it is malty.

Scotch enthusiasts can be pretty precise with their alleged flavor profiles.

Say what you want about me being a pleb or what have you, but I just like it aged well and single malt. Beyond that, those subtle nuances are beyond my palette's detection.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    totse3.com Space Nigga
    Originally posted by GGG Not really. All that matters is how much alcohol you drink and what types of cogengers you consume.

Otherwise, ethanol is ethanol.

it has to do with the mixing of the sugar

it causes a reaction of some type in some peoples stomach. I'm sure there is science-as-fuck behind it :)
    Originally posted by HTS Chasing > mixed drinks, with few exceptions. Those exceptions being complex, fruity cocktails that you feel gay for drinking and like… the cuba libre. But even then, like, chasing a shot of rum with coke is pretty much just as good.

I have never understood the need for a chaser. Like, what, you wanna look like a tough bitch drinking liquor, but you also don't wanna taste it?
    Originally posted by gadzooks Glenfiddich is decent.

I haven't tried every brand of Single Malt Scotch out there, admittedly.

In fact, I haven't even tried every type (they vary based on where in Scotland they come from).

But as a general rule, the more aged, the better, and single malt is always superior to blended scotch.

Other than that, personal taste will become a factor.

Some prefer Speyside single malts (such as Glenfiddich), whereas others prefer Islay or Highland brands.

Scotch is an interesting type of liquor, with a lot of history, and some pretentious zealots / over-the-top fanatics out there.

I sometimes can't even tell if they're just utterly full of it, or really able to distinguish between such subtle nuances as how floral vs how fruity a certain scotch is, or if it's slightly more nutty than it is malty.

Scotch enthusiasts can be pretty precise with their alleged flavor profiles.

Say what you want about me being a pleb or what have you, but I just like it aged well and single malt. Beyond that, those subtle nuances are beyond my palette's detection.

You don't notice anything? I can definitely taste the different flavors in bourbons and stuff, but you have to put a bit of water in it or take REALLY small sips and kinda let it sit on your tongue.

I like Evan Williams and I can definitely taste that sweet woody vanilla taste. Some other stuff that people describe, I wouldn't even begin to be able to recognize.
    Originally posted by GGG I have never understood the need for a chaser. Like, what, you wanna look like a tough bitch drinking liquor, but you also don't wanna taste it?

I'll admit I use a chaser IF I don't particularly like the type of liquor I'm drinking, or if there's any unpleasantness associated with it's taste or any aftertaste.

It's why I only drink Scotch when I drink spirits.

Anything else, and I need chase/mix. Even if it's just salt and a lime wedge (for tequila).
    Originally posted by GGG You don't notice anything? I can definitely taste the different flavors in bourbons and stuff, but you have to put a bit of water in it or take REALLY small sips and kinda let it sit on your tongue.

I like Evan Williams and I can definitely taste that sweet woody vanilla taste. Some other stuff that people describe, I wouldn't even begin to be able to recognize.

I do taste subtle differences, actually sometimes not even so subtle.

But can I actually label them with quantitative valuations for each so-called "note of flavor"? No, I cannot.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by GGG I have never understood the need for a chaser. Like, what, you wanna look like a tough bitch drinking liquor, but you also don't wanna taste it?

Like, I wanna drink as little volume/calories and get as drunk as possible in the shortest amount of time.
    My family is from an area of Mexico that is famous for its tequila, so we have access to all the good shit. What they'll do is put it in a shot glass with lime wedges on hand while they sip at the tequila and nibble on the lime. I used to get yelled at as a kid because I would steal all the lime wedges.

I can't fucking stand the stuff though. It makes me gag every time. I don't know how people drink it.
Jump to Top