User Controls

Gratitude

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    I'm drowning in debt due to a long stretch of unemployment.

I have an infection in my foot that necessitates that I go all the way down to the hospital TWICE daily, which is a real hassle.

It's not super comfortable walking.

I'm starting to (re-)gain weight after having gone to the trouble of losing 100 lbs.

I'm single, and have been, technically, for over a decade.

But,

I'm somewhat happy nonetheless.

I'm currently in a weekly group therapy session that meets once a week to learn about and discuss character strength building exercises, as well as fostering gratitude.

I have a B.A. in psych, so I this isn't exactly new material for me.

But, when committing to the practices that they are teaching, I am actually noticing serious results. My overall nihilism and existential angst, my depression and anxiety, my loneliness, all of these negative emotions, are actually gradually subsiding.

The gratitude exercise is one where, each day, you focus on one thing you are grateful for.

I may be drowning in debt, but I'm not bankrupt or homeless.

I may have that infection, but at least it's most likely going to heal within a few weeks and I'll be back to normal, while there are people with incurable, degenerative diseases living out their final days.

Walking is currently uncomfortable, but I can walk. A substantial percentage of the population is wheelchair bound, often for life.

I can take control of my weight and lose it like I lost it before. I'm grateful for the fact that I managed to lose 100 lbs in the first place, rather than focusing on the remorse and guilt for letting myself go.

I'm single, but so are millions of others. Every day is a new day that brings new opportunities to find companionship. And even if I don't ever find that one true love, I am grateful that I got to experience it at least temporarily in the past.

So, NIS, what are you grateful for?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    My baby lol. She's super cool to me & I enjoy her. She might not feel like that about me all time but that's only cuz I love her so much & I can't help it.
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    MORE LIKE RADITUDE!

Ghost Black Hole
    Group therapy sounds chill
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Hi Gadzooks
    Flatulant_bomb Tuskegee Airman
    I am thankful that when I was drowning in debt that I was able to file bankruptcy and walk away debt free.
    WellHung Black Hole (banned)
    Originally posted by Flatulant_bomb I am thankful that when I was drowning in debt that I was able to file bankruptcy and walk away debt free.

The damage was done to ur credit. Which is almost as bad as drowning in debt.
    Originally posted by WellHung The damage was done to ur credit. Which is almost as bad as drowning in debt.

Good credit only allows for me to go into debt, again. No thanks!
    Technologist victim of incest
    Originally posted by WellHung The damage was done to ur credit. Which is almost as bad as drowning in debt.

Wrong, I filed bankruptcy, turned around and bought a house 2 years later with a decent down payment. I refinanced after my credit got better, and now I’m at a low interest rate. My credit score is in the high 700s, so it didn’t ruin me. I think it used to be more taboo years ago, but it doesn’t ruin you forever.
    esbity African Astronaut
    Ive never understood how so many people that try so hard in life and actually go to college, end up as broke as shit and in bad heath.

Then there is those of us that dont try hard, lie, cheat, and steal, and we are in good health, happy, content with no big regrets, have funds and no debt.
    WellHung Black Hole (banned)
    you seem like a nice kid, esbity...
    Credit is weird, this was 15-20 years ago but I filed bankruptcy alone, everything was in my name; she hated that but when it was said and done, we were able to buy a house on her credit but use my income. Go figure..
    larrylegend8383 Naturally Camouflaged
    I'm grateful to see certain people that mean a lot to me deal well with adversity.

Grateful for the health I have despite nagging injuries.

Grateful that it feels like a million dollars when I bust a nut.
Jump to Top