User Controls

Unnanounced Visitors - Yay or Nay?

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Do you like it when people spontaneously drop by? Or do you find it disruptive and inconsiderate?

I really feel like this type of thing can be interpreted in either of these two completely different ways, so I want input from others.

I'll start off with my position, as well as a relevant example.

I am, for the most part, totally against it. I find it very disruptive.

But there's a tiny part of me that does kinda like it.

For instance, last night I woke up like 2am to a tapping at my apartment patio door.

It was this homeless girl, a friend of a friend, who occasionally drops by out of nowhere.

I can't remember if I was annoyed at first, because I was jostled from my slumber, and possibly still a bit inebriated from various benzos and such that I took shortly before retiring for the evening.

When it's the middle of the day, and I'm sober, I'm always 100% mad when she does this. I still let her in to fill her water bottle and I offer her some kind of snack food or something, and we talk for a few minutes, but I know she sees the frustration in my body language.

Last night though, I said "whatever" and invited her in to spend the night. We had a few drinks together, did some drugs together, and watched some TV / listened to music, and chatted a bit.

Eventually I passed back out (re-passed out?) from the aforementioned benzos, plus the shots we were taking at this point.

She slept on my beanbag chair (not a sex euphemism - I actually have a beanbag chair accessory in my living room), and the next day, I still let her hang our for a bit, but I was working (I telecommute for work), and she was kind of a distraction. Eventually she left, and I was quite relieved.

In the end, though, a part of me had kind of a good time with her for those few hours in the middle of night.

I rarely socialize with people, so it was kind of a treat, you know?

But still, it is so fucking annoying when it's unexpected.

Where do the rest of you stand?
    It depends on where I’m at with my mania/depression and also the state of my house.

If I’m depressed, feeling introverted, not wearing any pants, and my house is sloppy then I get agitated.

If I’m in a hyper mood, feeling extroverted, fully clothed, and my house is clean then I like it.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by ohfralala It depends on where I’m at with my mania/depression and also the state of my house.

If I’m depressed, feeling introverted, not wearing any pants, and my house is sloppy then I get agitated.

If I’m in a hyper mood, feeling extroverted, fully clothed, and my house is clean then I like it.

You raise a good addition here.

It can vary greatly with context.

This is much like how I hate it when she taps at my window while I'm focused on work in the middle of the day, but because all I was doing was sleeping (although I don't like being woken up in the middle of the night), I found it more tolerable.
    Also, it might be worth mentioning that my family/friends push me to be wayyyy more social than I naturally am.

I could socialize for maybe three weekends every six months and be fine which is something they do not understand. I genuinely hate making up excuses not to hangout but thankfully they have all learned over the years not to take it personally.

It even sorta irks me when my Dad gets invasive, but as you mentioned, I also sorta like it. I know he’s going to be gone one day and I’m going to be sadder than shit, so I try not to be annoyed when he does it.
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    It depends on the person and the point of the visit. If there's no point and it's a homeless person, they are staying exactly as long as it takes me to ascertain there is no point to their visit. If it's someone I like and they came to talk about something relevant then they can stay a good while.

I hope the homeless girl didn't steal any of your stuff. It seems the homeless in BC are less thievery prone.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Lol 😋
    Originally posted by Sudo It depends on the person and the point of the visit. If there's no point and it's a homeless person, they are staying exactly as long as it takes me to ascertain there is no point to their visit. If it's someone I like and they came to talk about something relevant then they can stay a good while.

I hope the homeless girl didn't steal any of your stuff. It seems the homeless in BC are less thievery prone.

Actually, I was kinda surprised to find all of my shit exactly where it was:
    1. Three $200 monitors on my desk (and a $3000 desktop PC, but there's no way she'd know it's worth that).
    2. Actual cash money lying around in a few places.
    3. Major one: She didn't take my $700 worth of meth on the kitchen table, even though she knew it was there, and she smokes meth (we smoked some together during the night).

I'm actually fucking blown away she didn't take a single thing from among the above.
    Originally posted by Sudo It seems the homeless in BC are less thievery prone.

Nah, she's straight up an exception to the rule.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Originally posted by ohfralala Also, it might be worth mentioning that my family/friends push me to be wayyyy more social than I naturally am.

I could socialize for maybe three weekends every six months and be fine which is something they do not understand. I genuinely hate making up excuses not to hangout but thankfully they have all learned over the years not to take it personally.

It even sorta irks me when my Dad gets invasive, but as you mentioned, I also sorta like it. I know he’s going to be gone one day and I’m going to be sadder than shit, so I try not to be annoyed when he does it.

Lol.. what the Fuck. 😋
    Originally posted by ohfralala Also, it might be worth mentioning that my family/friends push me to be wayyyy more social than I naturally am.

That may be one fundamental element to the whole thing.

Some people consider biweekly visits totally normal.

Others might think social encounters twice a year are enough to sustain a friendship.

In many cases there could be a mismatch in expectations.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by gadzooks Actually, I was kinda surprised to find all of my shit exactly where it was:
    1. Three $200 monitors on my desk (and a $3000 desktop PC, but there's no way she'd know it's worth that).
    2. Actual cash money lying around in a few places.
    3. Major one: She didn't take my $700 worth of meth on the kitchen table, even though she knew it was there, and she smokes meth (we smoked some together during the night).

I'm actually fucking blown away she didn't take a single thing from among the above.

not yet.

theres way too many stuffs to take. she'll be back with some friends.

when your not around.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny not yet.

theres way too many stuffs to take. she'll be back with some friends.

when your not around.

I had already considered that, but thank you for fueling my paranoia.

Actually, I have a pretty extensive security system for a cheap apartment.

Multiple wifi connected cameras, motion sensors, I would know instantly if someone had intruded into my domicile.

Upon receiving the notification on my phone, I could tell them how fucked they are (two-way audio), and that their pictures are all recorded from multiple angles.

That, plus an alarm sounding, and an automatic 911 call, will probably encourage them to drop what their trying to steal and just run for it.
    Originally posted by gadzooks I had already considered that, but thank you for fueling my paranoia.

Actually, I have a pretty extensive security system for a cheap apartment.

Multiple wifi connected cameras, motion sensors, I would know instantly if someone had intruded into my domicile.

Upon receiving the notification on my phone, I could tell them how fucked they are (two-way audio), and that their pictures are all recorded from multiple angles.

That, plus an alarm sounding, and an automatic 911 call, will probably encourage them to drop what their trying to steal and just run for it.

it sounds like your security system is worth taking along.
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    I have one or two close friends that drop by.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by DontTellEm Lol 😋

Another excellent contribution by April Madison
    WellHung Black Hole
    People usually don't know what room number I'm in.
    WellHung Black Hole
    op its foolish of u to leave methamphetamine just sitting out on your kitchen table.... and why didn't you try to bang this broad? u gay? or just a shy Beta?
    mikeyagain African Astronaut [unalterably regard the persecutor]
    Maybe if OP put up more text, he could make shit go away??
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Leave me be Matthew.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by DontTellEm Leave me be Matthew.

impossible....ur irresistible.
Jump to Top