User Controls

How do you evenly dissolve a very small volume of liquid in a larger volume of liquid?

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    First off: Why I'm posting this here.

Let's say you have a tincture that is x milligrams of substance X, and you dissolve it in y milliliters of solvent Y.

Now, since solvent Y is lethal at doses above a certain threshold, the chemist then wants to dissolve solution XY into another solvent (Z) of z milliliters.

You want to be able to ensure that a randomly selected quantity of this liquid contains the expected amount (in milligrams) of substance X as per the substance x / solvent y ratio.

Is it physically (chemically) possible to accomplish this task?

And if so, how do you determine the right second solvent (Z)?
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    ...ummmmm
    Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Houston [back fudge my lingam]
    Depends entirely on the solubility of the solute.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Or the solidity of the solid?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by cupocheer Or the solidity of the solid?

No.
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Depends entirely on the solubility of the solute.

But once the initial solution has evenly distributed, does it maintain that same even distribution in another, more voluminous, solution?
    Or does the initial substance X have to be soluble in BOTH SOLVENTS... SHIT, that makes sense. I didn't think of that.
    Originally posted by gadzooks But once the initial solution has evenly distributed, does it maintain that same even distribution in another, more voluminous, solution?

Not precisely no, but if it's stirred fairly well it won't matter.
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Not precisely no, but if it's stirred fairly well it won't matter.

Oh yeah, because solvent Y might not EVENLY distribute in solvent Z?

Do all solutions, by definition, evenly distribute?

Sorry, I only did like first year uni chemistry, and that was over a decade ago.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Oh yeah, because solvent Y might not EVENLY distribute in solvent Z?

Exactly. Like oil in water will mix briefly, but then clump together due to hydrophobia, and then gather at the top due to being less dense.

Do all solutions, by definition, evenly distribute?
    No, although osmotic pressure will push them to mix there are other forces at play, like molecular weight, hydrophobia, etc.

Giving that shit a good stir usually overwhelms those slight forces though.

Sorry, I only did like first year uni chemistry, and that was over a decade ago.

I made it all the way to the start of third year before dropping out lol :)
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service I made it all the way to the start of third year before dropping out lol :)

You were still definitely very helpful.

Thank you!
    WellHung Black Hole
    op, You are requesting a response that requires specialized, esoteric knowledge. It is probably best that you seek answers elsewhere... none of us are chemists. Perhaps a book, encyclopedia, or online Journal?
    trippymindfuk African Astronaut
    Originally posted by cupocheer Or the solidity of the solid?

This shit made me lose it
    I saw that. 😎
    Originally posted by WellHung op, You are requesting a response that requires specialized, esoteric knowledge. It is probably best that you seek answers elsewhere… none of us are chemists. Perhaps a book, encyclopedia, or online Journal?

No.
    Originally posted by WellHung op, You are requesting a response that requires specialized, esoteric knowledge. It is probably best that you seek answers elsewhere… none of us are chemists. Perhaps a book, encyclopedia, or online Journal?

Where's the "Unthank" button?
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by gadzooks Where's the "Unthank" button?

Originally posted by gadzooks Where's the "Unthank" button?

🤣😂
    Originally posted by WellHung 🤣😂

It was meant to be a joke.

But but just for the fuck of it, I Thanked your post, and then unthanked it.

And I documented the entire thing so that you may experience it.

Jump to Top