User Controls

The Yerkes–Dodson law

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    So, in the interest of trying to boost my productivity, I decided to take a bunch of illicit crystal methamphetamines this morning.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but my ultimate goal, was to find just the right balance of neurotransmitters to enable focused cognitive processing.

You see, my academic background is in psychology. I have a bachelor's degree in the subject, and I volunteered in a lab, and started an honors thesis, etc. All of this was focused around cognition.

Now, I am a (self-taught) software developer.

I want to apply what I learned about cognition to being a more productive software developer.

So I am making this thread to document some of my findings thus far.

I have experimented with many different nootropics (noopepts, racetams, stimulants, eugeroics (such as modafinil), as well as microdosing hallucinogens to enhance creativity).

I plan to also try rTMS (Repetetive Trans-Cranial Stimulation) and/or tDCS (Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation) soon. I bought a tDCS device recently and am building myself up to using it.

I also use various behavioral techniques to enhance focus, such as implementing Kanban (a task management methodology common in software development), and timeboxing / using the Pomodoro technique (where you set aside a precise amount of time to work on a task, and then when that timer runs out, you stop).

Basically, I plan on trying everything that I can to improve my overall productivity.

The title of this thread is named as such because it refers to the phenomenon wherein you achieve that perfect balance between emotional arousal and performance.

There will be more to come, but I wanted to get everybody ready for some truly mind-expanding experiments that I will be performing.

Stay tuned.

Or don't.

P.S.: One other big thing I learned from psychology is that the "glass half empty" types are generally less successful in life due to the self-fulfilling prophecy phenomenon.

But whatevs, you do you, I'mma do me.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Oh, and I posted this in Spurious Generalities rather than Reinvent Yourself for several reasons:
    1. That forum gets like, 10 posts a month.
    2. I'm a narcissist that believes what I have to say is so important that it just has to be seen by the most people possible.
    3. I really think it will benefit everybody, not just in self-improvement per se, but also in just generally being better at whatever it is that you do in life. So it's pretty agnostic / abstractly applicable that way.

Ultimately, it's Lanny's call to move it, but if it moves there, I may lose interest.
    Oh shit, and I forgot, the rest of you should post things you've tried that have worked, and things that have failed, to make you more productive.

Refer to my stricken-through text in my previous post about my narcissism if you need an explanation as to why I didn't make that clear in the original creation of this thread in the first place.
    Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Houston [back fudge my lingam]
    I always find focus to be the main area I am lacking in, especially when working on my own projects. I lack self-discipline.

Have you tried common OTC stimulants like caffeine and nicotine?

I started experimenting with snuff recently, it gives a slight little kick, helps me wake up.

Also how do you dose meth? Sublingually I assume is safest as it avoids the sudden rush.
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service I always find focus to be the main area I am lacking in, especially when working on my own projects. I lack self-discipline.

Have you tried common OTC stimulants like caffeine and nicotine? I started experimenting with snuff recently, it gives a slight little kick, helps me wake up.

It's interesting you mention nicotine actually because a coworker recently said it works really well, and he's a really bright and successful guy at our company.

I'm not a smoker, despite all the other recreational drugs I take, so I am proceeding with caution, but I am going to try out the nicotine gum, maybe the patches, and maybe even vaping a bit.

Caffiene, now, that one is almost a necessary staple for me.

Not necessarily in supplement form, but just ample coffee (black) and/or green tea, and sometimes (sugarless) energy drinks.
    I'm going to classify my experiments/techniques into:
    1. Pharmaceutical (including supplements).
    2. Behavioural (habits and ways of doing things).
    3. Neurostimulatory (rTMS, tDCS, etc).

Perhaps other categories will emerge...
    So to kick things off, I am going to present BEHAVIORAL TECHNIQUE #1: TASK FOCUS.

I'm going to close all my NIS tabs, and stay right away for a few hours while I get some work done.

Trust me, this is one I have found to work miracles for increasing productivity in the past.

So, see you all in due time.
    Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Houston [back fudge my lingam]
    Have you heard about using booze as a stimulant? You have to drink just the right amount to get "buzzed", but not enough to get slowed down or start making mistakes. It's very difficult to do.
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service Have you heard about using booze as a stimulant? You have to drink just the right amount to get "buzzed", but not enough to get slowed down or start making mistakes. It's very difficult to do.

Ironically, being a full-blown (highly-functional / only at night time) alcoholic, I have not considered it a potential nootropic.

I could see it helping with anxiety, either social (networking with new people, presenting to people, or even test/exam anxiety or maybe even perfectionism-related procrastination.

In fact, this gives me an idea...

I'm going to try a new technique tomorrow.
    PHARMACOLOGICAL TECHNIQUE #1: METHAMPHETAMINES.

My field report for today is basically just... just don't do it.

It might have some compelling rationale behind it, but the addictive need for hit after hit, or the need to boost an orally-induced session (just cuz euphoria, why not?).

I'm not taking all stimulants off of the table yet necessarily, but I will be trying to switch to weaker, less recreational ones such as Modafinil and Caffiene.
    PHARMACOLOGICAL TECHNIQUE #2: BENZODIAZEPINES

Shortly above, I mentioned that I plan on trying an anxiety-addressing approach, inspired by your suggestion Odigo.

I am actually going to take some clonazepam early in the morning to see if it can help me achieve a less perfectionistic mindset, so that I can simply focus on the task at hand.
    Also, I'd wager dollars to donuts that this thread isn't going to get many contributions from anyone but us, Odigo.

The plebeian masses are too good for attempts at self-improvement. :p

But we'll keep it going though; with the devotion of a soldier.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    WellHung Black Hole
    Originally posted by Odigo Messenger - Now With Free 911 Service I always find focus to be the main area I am lacking in, especially when working on my own projects. I lack self-discipline.

Have you tried common OTC stimulants like caffeine and nicotine?

I started experimenting with snuff recently, it gives a slight little kick, helps me wake up.

Also how do you dose meth? Sublingually I assume is safest as it avoids the sudden rush.

U assumed wrongly. Do your homework, Son. Once you do, you will realize that eating methamphetamine... along with some food... is safest... and is most likely to avoid any 'Rush'. If you ask me, the whole fucking experience is a 'rush', however...
    WellHung Black Hole
    Op, for an academic, u disappoint me. You did not once mention the title of your thread, (your topic or 'thesis'), in your extremely long and doddering introductory post... in the future, please do a better job of integrating your topic into the body of content.
    Originally posted by WellHung Op, for an academic, u disappoint me. You did not once mention the title of your thread, (your topic or 'thesis'), in your extremely long and doddering introductory post… in the future, please do a better job of integrating your topic into the body of content.

This was never intended to be a formal (APA, MLA, type thing), just some musings and observations.

I'll derive my thesis from the ground up.
    HTS highlight reel
    Imagine being this smart and devoting all that energy into... being a better-oiled cog in the global machine, maaaaaan.
    you can only expand your mind so far before it becomes a complete goatse,

and nobody wants a goatsed mind.
    Originally posted by HTS Imagine being this smart and devoting all that energy into… being a better-oiled cog in the global machine, maaaaaan.

Productivity does not necessarily have to refer to work.

If you are more engaged in even the pleasurable tasks in life, they may be more rewarding in the long run.

My goal of being hyper-efficicent so that I can have more time to do the things I truly want to do: appreciate art and nature and beauty in the world, contemplate philosophical questions, and getting fucked up with the homies.
    WellHung Black Hole
    Gadzooks, do you feel that your priorities will change over time?
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by gadzooks Productivity does not necessarily have to refer to work.

If you are more engaged in even the pleasurable tasks in life, they may be more rewarding in the long run.

My goal of being hyper-efficicent so that I can have more time to do the things I truly want to do: appreciate art and nature and beauty in the world, contemplate philosophical questions, and getting fucked up with the homies.

I get that, yeah. Mostly I was just trolling, because there is something about wanting to "increase your efficiency" that sounds wrong to me. Like, my gut reaction to that sentiment is to give you a pat on the head for being a good slave. You know? 🙃

Like if you work a 9-5, all increased efficiency is gonna do is get you to middle management. You're just going to be doing more work in the same amount of time, and not freeing up anything for yourself.
Jump to Top